• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Welcome to the Legend Cub Folder

Thanks Steve for placing a folder here for Legend Cub discussions.

You bet! Legend has been underrecognized here for a long time!

I've spent about fifty hours teaching in an AL18 Super Legend in the last months, it really is a friskly little airplane.

sj

Anyone have an AL3 on floats?

Impressions or experience with them?

I have many hours with the AL3 on both Legend and Baumann floats. Good performer on both land and water. PM me if you have any specific questions.

The Legend is/has been on my list of possible future purchase for quite some time. Been a big fan since they started producing their 'copy' of the J-3 many years ago. They've slowly increased the capabilities of their options up to the now made beast, the MOAC. I visited the factory a couple of years ago and may still someday have one build or do the build assist. My 172 is finally going to it's next caretaker this spring so I have been crunching numbers and actively looking for the next 'toy' for my box.

Been offered a very low time 180K (1600TT),a Piper PA-14 that is owned by a friend. I keep coming back to the Legend, A Super Legend HP specifically.

I personally like the Legend over the 'other' brand, mostly for my own reasons. Darin is a very down to earth type and super easy to talk to.

Hopefully more Legend owners will post their experiences.

No experience on floats. I have a Super Legend that came with the O-233 Lyc 115 hp. Now I have the Titan O-340 on it. There is a story behind the change that has nothing to do with the O-233 or American Legend Aircraft. For just screwing around, the 115 hp was wonderful. I took it the 15,000 ft with full fuel and my daughter in the back seat (skinny 17 year old). It performed about the same as a 150 hp SuperCub (I did a 2 day flight head to head with a PA-18 from Santa Fe to Fort Worth to come up with that opinion). The Titan is a little faster, better with a load, and climbs better, but is not quite as light on the controls. For a given speed, fuel burn is almost the same.

My dealings with Darin Hart and American Legend Aircraft have been great. They do my annuals and incorporate any upgrades I request. The downside is that I miss going out to Graham and seeing Steve Pierce for my annuals (he took care of my PA-14).

Ed

We just sold an O-200 powered kit built Legend. It was Chris' introduction to Cubs, a nice flying plane. She flew it to Johnson Creek twice and it did great.

We had planned on putting it on floats, but a friend needed to go light sport, so we let it go.

The Legend is/has been on my list of possible future purchase for quite some time. Been a big fan since they started producing their 'copy' of the J-3 many years ago. They've slowly increased the capabilities of their options up to the now made beast, the MOAC. I visited the factory a couple of years ago and may still someday have one build or do the build assist. My 172 is finally going to it's next caretaker this spring so I have been crunching numbers and actively looking for the next 'toy' for my box.

Been offered a very low time 180K (1600TT),a Piper PA-14 that is owned by a friend. I keep coming back to the Legend, A Super Legend HP specifically.

I personally like the Legend over the 'other' brand, mostly for my own reasons. Darin is a very down to earth type and super easy to talk to.

Hopefully more Legend owners will post their experiences.

I only have about 3 hours in a Super Legend so I can't really speak much about it. I've got about 40 hours in AL3's so far and it's such a great airplane. If you have any specific questions about them let me know...be glad to talk to you.

Spent some time the other day looking over a Super Dooper ALC undergoing construction down on the Coast. 210 HP, constant speed prop, glass panels, coupled 3 axis Otto and slotted Fowler Flaps. An interesting endeavor!

Spent some time the other day looking over a Super Dooper ALC undergoing construction down on the Coast. 210 HP, constant speed prop, glass panels, coupled 3 axis Otto and slotted Fowler Flaps. An interesting endeavor!

WOW!! That I want to see!!

I think the AL-3 on Amphib floats is the most joyful airplane you can fly! And I've flown many different models, Maule, C180, PA-18, PA-16, PA-14. If the AL-3 fits your mission then I say go for it!

John Wisdom

Now that Stewart has pointed out the MOAC to me, I will be following Legend topics with great interest.
They really do seem to be underrepresented here. I wonder why.

Progress continuing.

Attachments

• 16869.jpeg
    16869.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20210417_124803.jpg
    IMG_20210417_124803.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 154
I stopped in Lockhart yesterday for a bbq lunch on my way to south Texas from Fort Worth. I met one guy who is buying a brand new stripped down AL3 and another guy who an AL3 (which was totaled buy his instructor with another student). This was the most Legend Cub talk I’ve had in awhile.

Im pretty sure BDB and the J Man have a voodoo doll of me and the SS hanging from the inside his Uber cub. Sometimes when I fly I feel a big needle in my backside
jim

Back