• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Which GoPro like camera

centmont

SPONSOR
9S7 -- Montana's Missouri Breaks
It has been decades since I shopped for one of these things. Thoughts are to mount inside the C-185. Who makes the best these days? Ralph

Ralph, you will get a LOT of opinions about this, and there are really no "wrong" answers. GoPro comes out with a new model about every year, I thought my GoPro 6 was kinda hip and cool but turns out they are on 9 or 10 now.

One thing - inside or out - the mounts are important. Also GoPro's historically don't have the bility to control the shutter speed to blur the prop, so we use ND (neutral density) filters to trick it into doing so. These are inexpensive lenses that go in front of the camera. Some manufacturers are including speed controls to fix this.

Hope that helps!

sj

GoPro definitely has the most intuitive editing software as well as the most consumer friendly ecosystem of accessories so that's a good place to start. All models 7 and up use the built in stabilization with the 8 having the "hyper smooth" which just takes it up a notch. Gopro 8 and 9 have the mount built into the camera and the 9 just adds a front "selfie" screen. 4K video is a nice feature but due to constraints with the storage card size and 4K video editing requiring a relatively powerful computer, most shooting usually takes place in 1080p so I wouldn't get hung up on image resolution.

IMO any of the 7 and up cameras do a great job. I think the Gopro 8 or the 360 are the best buys right now for airplane type video.

I really like my GoPro Hero 7 Black, inside the airplane. But I'm unable to make them work outside the plane when it is colder than 0 celcius...

Just me but in my experience:

GoPro is a funky company with unreliable hardware and software. Stopped using them around the 7 release. Hope things have changed. By the way Adobe is a joke now too. Opinion.

My GoPro 2 or 3 still works as good as the day I got it, although I hardly use it anymore. My phone takes better video (iPhone X is a camera with an integrated phone) and is more handy.
The nice thing with my early and I expect the current GoPro’s is the footage is easy to compile and edit in iMovie if you use a Mac.

Since I’ve not been using the GoPro 2 much (no external power, etc) and I’ve been wanting a 360 camera...I just bit the bullet and bought the insta360 one X. I expected to buy the one R, but it struck me the handiness of the slightly smaller and one piece one x with nearly the same features would be fine.
I’m just learning with it, but the camera seems great. My one big complaint is it requires dedicated 360 software to edit and their integrated phone app is more capable than trying to edit it on the computer. So instead of dumping the data and using a big screen to manipulate the raw footage, I have to do so on the phone, then save the data, reopen in iMovie to compile multiple clips.

Without doubt it’s designed for the youth of today and 5-30 second clips as found on so many social media sites. I expect it’s perfectly suited for that.

But, the capabilities of the camera/video footage/editing combination is still better than what I had. So, I’ll adapt and make it work. Having 360 degree footage which you can then choose pans, point of views, etc is like having 5 cameras always filming to get the shots. It’s pretty cool.

Pb

I am a big YouTube watcher and oftentimes will stop watching a video with the 360 attached to the wing. I am not sure how they things works, do you adjust the camera angle in editing or what? But the author invariably overdoes the swinging of the camera and or has it the lens set too wide and I abhor the fisheye effect.

Farmboy’s videos above (which I had already watched one of them prior to him linking above are FAR above average (for 360 cameras) and the XC one was excellent.

As for the ND attachment, Farmboy’s was pretty good, you could see the prop but it was not overwhelming. Do we really want to eliminate the prop? I mean we are doing aviation stuff. I have ND attachments in my Amazon basket :). I really like the strut mounted cameras, and it certainly looks like external power is needed, I suspect I will go down that road at a later date and will stick to the cockpit footage for now.

I have only done one day of Hero 8 Black filming as I am waiting on the plane to get finished at the shop to do transition training to the S-21.... Oh yeah and I was in Saudi Arabia working last week too... Damn work :-?

Jay you are correct, all angles, field of views,etc is all done in edit. (Literally everything)

So the advantage is also the curse. As you see in the first video above I had no real idea what I was doing, and it shows. The only clip I really like is the flyover of 40M’s place and the camera pans down at the parked cubs.
Without doubt it’s more difficult to get the normal field of vision, but I’m thinking with practice I’ll get there. The main advantage is simply mounting the camera somewhere and go fly. No need to aim it or change it aside from major physical point of view.

Pb

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I have an original GoPro Hero that still works fine. I mount it on the wing strut and control it with a remote. If it falls off at 5,000 feet it's no great loss.

Also have a Hero 4 and a 7. The 7, with the stabilization is the best, and the lens can be replaced, unlike the newer cameras.

I pipe the headphone audio into the 4 and that works very well too.

I found the GoPro editing program pretty useless. Now I have VideoPad which is much better.

All my stuff is done in 1080p. My old computer can't handle 4K editing and I think the 1080p is superb anyway.

Ralph, watch some of the intro/reviews on YouTube. I like Air photography, search hero 8 black, same 9, one advantageof the 9 is it has lens options like Steve said . It also has a front facing camera. But the 9 is expensive. You can save a fair amount of money by joining and paying for the monthly subscription. Need a modern phone or tablet to run and there is learning curve to understand the gopro platform. It seems buggy until you get the hang of it.

Thanks guys.... always good advice here. What a great resource SC.org has been over the years. I'll let you know what I end up with after the research. Ralph

Back