• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tilt rotor Cub, just for the fun of it !!

supercub

Let me check my GPS, gee how'd we ever navigate w
A friend of mine has an idea to tilt the engine in a Cub to shorten the take off distance. His idea is to mount the engine on a moveable mount so the pilot could tilt it up at a 45 degree angle. The horsepower of the engine would be increased so as to provide the same forward thrust at a 45 degree tilt up angle, as a stock 150 hp engine in normal level position. In cruise or climb the tilt could be adjustment back to normal position.
I have my ideas.............what do you think? Remember this is just for fun.

Pivoting the engine is easy however, I think it would require a very long prop for it to work properly (notice the tilt rotors have huge props) so returning to 0 degree thrust may not be possible. Better off adding more wing and using the extra power to rip it off the ground. Like the Cubspanker/Glacier cub/SQ.
DENNY

The tilt rotors lift on the CG. Providing vertical lift in the front at the engine's moment arm is more likely just to make the tail heavy. Everything must be in balance.

A slatted Cub flying on the wing AND “hanging on the prop” will fly slow

Other than the issue of controlling the pitch up from the “tilted” up thrustline, the idea has merit.

I believe I was hovering Mike Olsons RedNeck Cub a few years back when the Valdez competitors were practicing out on the Knik river. Some of those watching are on this site. Maybe they will chime in and describe what that looked like.

I had the plane pitched as near vertical as I could manipulate it and sight out to the wingtip, and it continued straight up until I reduced throttle. I dunno how long I climbed like that, probably less than 5 seconds until I came to my senses and thought about the mess it would make if I fell on my back and inverted flat spun it.

Back