• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Super Cub through a 32’ door

Curious if anyone has ever spun a cub through a 32’ opening? Would not be on a regular basis as our every day hangar has a 48’ door but we are building another building on our farm and have the option to put a 32’ door on a 64’ end wall. So we could on a rare occasion have friends/family overnight and able to spin their Cubs into this opening. Realistically this may happen once a year or less. So not often. Just curious if anyone has done this on a 32’ opening or less... I know it can be done on larger than 32’. And no, the opening cannot get any larger for other logistical reasons. Thanks for all the help!

Andy

Piece of cake, I've gotten my 29' span S-7S through my shop 19' door easily, with two dollies under the mains (the rear already has a swivel wheel....) About 30 years ago I regularly fit a 19.5' span bird (Titan Tornado almostanultralight) through my then shop's 14' door.

I agree with the forklift comment.....one wing and tail first......rotate as needed for the 2nd wing. Piece of cake.

When I worked line service we snuck a DC-3 into our paint shop with above technique. I can't remember how much narrower the door was than the wingspan.

Yes, we spun ag planes through smaller doors then the wingspan for nearly 40 years. I know it can be done. And yes, we do a ton of forking longer objects through smaller doors as well. But I am also aware (from experience) that there is a limit to what will go through as there is a point where the tail will not swing through without getting the tip of the wing into the side wall. Appreciate all of the feedback but I’m well aware it can be done other ways and with other planes that may have different overall lengths and different wing geometry that also makes a difference. If you have spun a cub or super cub through a 32’ door without dollies please share. Thanks!

Not quite the same deal as you but I was able to jockey a PA 12 into a position that would have been the same as going through a 31 ft door. My deal might have been more difficult since is was a shop wall within my hangar.

I do it often. I nose up to the hangar 45 degrees off the door with the spinner just about touching the frame. Push it fwd until the spinner just about hits the side where the door folds up. Swing the tail in at 90 degrees then pull the plane in backwards. It lives inside the hangar at 45 degrees to the door.

Yes, we spun ag planes through smaller doors then the wingspan for nearly 40 years. I know it can be done. And yes, we do a ton of forking longer objects through smaller doors as well. But I am also aware (from experience) that there is a limit to what will go through as there is a point where the tail will not swing through without getting the tip of the wing into the side wall. Appreciate all of the feedback but I’m well aware it can be done other ways and with other planes that may have different overall lengths and different wing geometry that also makes a difference. If you have spun a cub or super cub through a 32’ door without dollies please share. Thanks!

Well, you said it. It depends on how close the interior wall is to the edge of the door opening. If there is lots of room there, the only limit is the length spinner to tail. If the wall is too close, you'll hit the wing tip before you can spin it enough to pull the other side in.

Seen a Seebee with tip extensions go though a 40' door like that. The key, as said before, is the walls inside. The Hangar was 60' wide, with a 40' door, so they had 20' to each side to work with

Back