• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

2021 Airmen's Show, New Dates, New Location

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
Folks, contrary to what it says in the Super Cub Calendar, they have moved the 2021 Alaska Airmen's show to May 8 & 9 at the Alaska State Fairgrounds in Palmer.

More info here: https://alaskaairmen.org/gathering/

We do not plan to have a booth this year at the show, but may still try to attend!

Interesting. I was wondering how long FedEx was going to allow the use of the hangar. Thank you FedEx for all the years!

Any comments on the fairgrounds? I haven't been there in years. Is it going to be 2 locations, airport and fairgrounds? How is that going to work?

Kurt

Interesting. I was wondering how long FedEx was going to allow the use of the hangar. Thank you FedEx for all the years!

Any comments on the fairgrounds? I haven't been there in years. Is it going to be 2 locations, airport and fairgrounds? How is that going to work?

Kurt
https://alaskaairmen.org/gathering/
[FONT=&quot][h=2]Where[/h]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Alaska State Fairgrounds2075 Glenn Hwy Palmer, AK 99645​
Palmer Municipal Airport905 E. Cope Industrial Way Palmer, AK 99645​

[/FONT]

I don't think the move is driven by Fedex. Anchorage politics are like California with lockdowns and occupancy limits. Meanwhile, 40 miles north, everything is open including schools, restaurants, churches, etc. It's business as usual in the Valley.

I hope they invite food trucks and have a beer garden. Standard fare at the Fairgrounds for gatherings like this. Start a new tradition. In my opinion this is a far better venue for the trade show.

Is the airport next to the fairgrounds so there can be static displays?

sj

About a one mile walk but the Airman's Assoc has stated there will be shuttles. For small airplanes there's more than enough room to land at the Fairgrounds. Airframes' new facility is in between the Fairgrounds and the airport, too.

I haven't gone to the show in over 10 years. This new venue may change that. I went to several festivals last summer and fall at the Fairgrounds. It's an extension of the Palmer Friday Fling vibe if they do it right, and that's always a fun time. Food trucks, maybe some live music, happy people milling around, lots of space for kids to run around.... the makings of a good gathering.

Last edited:
20210205_095424.jpg

Attachments

• 20210205_095424.jpg
    20210205_095424.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,156
I don't think the move is driven by Fedex. Anchorage politics are like California with lockdowns and occupancy limits. Meanwhile, 40 miles north, everything is open including schools, restaurants, churches, etc. It's business as usual in the Valley.

I hope they invite food trucks and have a beer garden. Standard fare at the Fairgrounds for gatherings like this. Start a new tradition. In my opinion this is a far better venue for the trade show.

I have to agree, could be a very cool event!!

I asked about landing at the grounds, they say outside the gate they have lots of room, inside they are being picky. IF I had 100% confidence my plane would be finished and tested, and got my currency back flying it, I would suggest we all park along the fence as a group... But then safety thoughts creep in and it is easier to just use the airport that has gravel for big tires.

The airspace stuff is going to be interesting as far as landing/parking planes at the fairgrounds. Palmer is very picky about that and there is some weird stuff with the airport vs the town of Palmer or so I've heard. Hopefully aircraft ops will be allowed at or near the fairgrounds.

The airspace stuff is going to be interesting as far as landing/parking planes at the fairgrounds. Palmer is very picky about that and there is some weird stuff with the airport vs the town of Palmer or so I've heard. Hopefully aircraft ops will be allowed at or near the fairgrounds.

I'm curious about that too. Not as much of the city as their 'airport manager'. I've listened to him brag about getting the job and having zero aircraft knowledge.

Most people could walk from the fairgrounds to the airport but shuttles will be nice. I agree with others above, this could work out VERY well for the show and for the valley. Besides I can see the aircraft in the pattern from my house! (Sorry Tina Fey).

Web

C'mon, everyone knows the wind doesn't blow in Palmer. Wasilla sucks! ;) My address is in Wasilla and yes, the wind blows, but mostly in winter. Especially this winter. C'mon, spring!

[FONT=&quot] Personally I think it’s a bad location and idea. All of us Airplane people would walk 20 miles through alders just to see the possibility of one airplane sitting somewhere. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What we need is more people getting interested in and flying small aircraft. For better or for worse—anchorage is the population center and many people come to the show just to walk around and take the kids to look at airplanes and get out the house during spring. I wonder how many people that were never into airplanes decided to get into it after going to the airmens shows over the years. I hope I’m wrong—but I think attendance will be down significantly especially from the non-flying public which we definitely need on our side.[/FONT]

Gonna be mighty hard for the public to come to the show and see any airplanes with gathering size and building occupancy limits in Anchorage.

[FONT=&quot] Personally I think it’s a bad location and idea. All of us Airplane people would walk 20 miles through alders just to see the possibility of one airplane sitting somewhere. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What we need is more people getting interested in and flying small aircraft. For better or for worse—anchorage is the population center and many people come to the show just to walk around and take the kids to look at airplanes and get out the house during spring. I wonder how many people that were never into airplanes decided to get into it after going to the airmens shows over the years. I hope I’m wrong—but I think attendance will be down significantly especially from the non-flying public which we definitely need on our side.[/FONT]

Personally, I’m more likely to bring my kids along to look at the planes if it’s outside. I have some high risk family members and we’ve been pretty Covid cautious. I’d feel better about being outside.

It might also draw more of an audience from the valley that would never drive into Anchorage for the show. Maybe rotating locations every year or two wouldn’t hurt!

I loved the show in the Fedex building. Easy to walk onto the ramp and look at planes. But as with most things in life the constant thing is change. I would not expect to fly/land at the fairgrounds, it may happen but I don't think the liability would be worth it. Trying to open up Alaska again depends on how much vaccine we can get by spring. I don't think it will be as big as the usual show but even a smaller one would be fun to kick off the summer. I will be driving so location does not really matter to me. DENNY

I would like to publicly thank FedEx for their generosity in allowing us to use their facility over the years.

Kurt

What's the old saying: "The only thing that's constant is change"?

FedEx was super generous in allowing the Airmen to use their facility for this many years. That had to have been a major inconvenience to their operations, yet they did it.
Hopefully, the new venue will be just as good, though perhaps in different ways.

Frankly, May is going to be pretty early, so it'll be interesting to see how many "Outsiders" show up this year. A somewhat smaller attendance may in fact be a blessing this year, as organizers adjust the show to the new venue.

I wish the Alaska Airmen's Association all the best in getting their Trade Show off to a "new" start this year!

MTV

Out of state visitors will be limited by Canadian restrictions or AK entry rules. Traveling is a pain these days. That'll apply to vendors and visitors.

As a vendor that typically attends and exhibits, I’m cautiously optimistic about the new location. It would be great if there was the opportunity for more flying-type activities, but separate locations can be a challenge. For vendors from outside AK, the logistics of getting to Palmer aren’t as simple as Anchorage (not at all insurmountable, but more effort nonetheless).

I will be curious to see how the new spot affects the walk-in types, the people that have some interest but aren’t established in aviation yet. They may not travel to Palmer, or maybe Palmer is closer to them.

The Northwest Aviation Conference outside Seattle is held at a fairgrounds and the only airplanes that show up come in trailers. It is still a great show even if we miss being at an airport.

FedEx has been incredibly generous to allow the use of their hangar for so many years. I will miss it but cannot imagine how they could possibly make it available this year with their company Covid protocols and increased shipping demand going forward.

No idea how travel may look at that point, but it will be great to see airplane friends again when the time comes!

—Amy

Out of state visitors will be limited by Canadian restrictions or AK entry rules. Traveling is a pain these days. That'll apply to vendors and visitors.

I looked at the link to out of state visitors on the Airman's site. I really don't see any way to enter the state to work the show this year. With the 72 hour current covid test requirement and than quarantine requirements, I don't see how to make it work. I asked my Doc about it yesterday; she had no idea how to get me tested to fit in the Alaska 72 hour window. Alternative is $250 to test at the airport, followed by quarantine awaiting results with no guarantee of how long it will take for the results. How can that be made to work for the two day show. Not looking good for out of state visitors or vendors. Any ideas?

Marty57

I think us Lower 48'rs are going to have to wait and see what the COVID policy is closer to the event. Seems like Alaska is ahead of many states in getting vaccines into it's citizens, so maybe things will lighten up by May.

But, a vendor really needs to do some planning, and sign up, etc. So, not a rosy situation for those folks.

MTV

mvivion;796719)Seems like Alaska is ahead of many states in getting vaccines into it's citizens said:
I’m grounded for another day due to the second dose on the Moderna vaccine in my arm so it is getting done here albeit slowly. The Palmer Fairgrounds will be a good venue for the trade show and won’t have to contend with the heavies which almost got me when one started up while I was taxing my Cub out from parking next to the FedEx hangar. Also will publicly that FedEx for their generous use of their facility in the past.

I vacationed in AK last July 2020 and did a COVID test 3 days prior to departure and received results in about 2 days. Trip including Anchorage airport experience and screening was a non event for us. Flying a small plane across the Canada border pre COVID is way more hassle and a pain in the asshole IMO than any of what AK required peak pandemic for entry. I would think things are more streamlined now than in 2020 especially test wise. I've received my 2nd Covid vaccination but I'm lucky/unlucky law-enforcement so at the front of the line so to speak. Headed back to AK this summer 2021 capitalizing on no cruise ships, no motorhomes, fewer people and less congestion than normal years. AK in recent pre COVID had become a bit too congested for me. 2021 a good year to visit AK and lose the masses, the crowds. Last summer was a joy. 1/2 the traffic

Last edited:
Back