• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fly Fishing destination?

Tailpilot

Ft. Worth Texas/Anchorage Alaska
Any places west of Ft Worth TX (7 hour range) that would be a good place to land close to a river and do some camping and fly fishing?
actually could be any direction for that matter.

Depending on what you are flying, 7 hours should get you to most places in the lower 48. Lots of good fly fishing to be had all over.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

mainly trout.......just getting into it and wanted a good place to land the plane, camp and wade a stream.

I could post more, but will this do?

IMG_1765.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1765.jpg
    IMG_1765.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 157
I'm a little spoiled having a cabin on a creek that suits fly fishing quite nicely. And I've had occasion to fish a few places where tourists pay thousands a day. But my favorite days?Fly fishing with a guide in Port O'Conner, TX. Reds and Black Drumm in 85° weather was awesome. I picked up some wading shoes at an AK fly shop prior to going. The guy laughed and said I'd never fish Alaska again. If not for my life here he could have been right.

No kidding...thats pretty funny. Hard to beat Alaska!!!! We have a place in Anchorage and I love getting there....will be there in a few days. I have been up to the Cooper Landing area and was fun fishing

I have thought about heading over there one day soon to check it out. Hoping do do a camping trip when I get off this work trip of mine. May run to Cedar Mills for the night.

What I'm searching for is a backcountry spot to set up tent and walk to the stream.

Is that 7 hours from Fort Worth?

I was going to post a few, too, but we are 1200+ miles away. I suppose that's within range if flying a Mooney. (They land at Johnson Creek, I've heard).

Less in an SR-71!

I have been flying for Copper Valley Air in Gulkana, we do have some nice fishing if you wander the way this summer.

Used to fish below Possum Kingdom dam for trout a long time ago before I was a pilot. Don't know what the flying and landing options are at Possum Kingdom. A big trout there was 6 inches. You do realize you live in Texas where there are practically no trout. On the other hand there is great salt water fly fishing for sea trout and red fish. Many of the barrier islands have defunct air force air strips. I think Matagorda island near Port O'Connor has one. It is national wildlife refuge so legally probably can't land. Texas does allow motorized travel on some beaches so it may be possible. If you can land on a barrier island just camp and walk wade the bay side for some really good fly fishing. Now you know there are bass also in Texas and they bite the fly. I used to be a trout fly fishing purest when I moved to Texas. Now I am a whore when comes to fly fishing- any fish anywhere anytime. When you stoop to catching carp on the fly you will know you have arrived. Never tried for alligator gar but there are some rivers in Texas that are stuffed full of them and they get huge. Good luck

I used to be a trout fly fishing purest when I moved to Texas. Now I am a whore when comes to fly fishing- any fish anywhere anytime. When you stoop to catching carp on the fly you will know you have arrived.

I had to laugh because this describes me. I grew up in Montana and somehow ended up in eastern Washington. I fished only for trout until I got here. So, now I go after steelhead and trout when I can, but bass and crappie are on the list too. And yes, I've gone after carp, too. They're actually pretty fun.

I nice way to spend an hour or two is barbless hook fly fishing in the pond at the George H. W. Bush Presidential Library. When Mr. Bush was alive and in town he'd come out to chat. I meant to stop by and visit Mr. and Mrs. Bush last trip but lost track of time. It's a great place to visit if any of you find yourselves in College Station.

I nice way to spend an hour or two is barbless hook fly fishing in the pond at the George H. W. Bush Presidential Library. When Mr. Bush was alive and in town he'd come out to chat. I meant to stop by and visit Mr. and Mrs. Bush last trip but lost track of time. It's a great place to visit if any of you find yourselves in College Station.

That sounds like the Airport Moose that show up at Lake Hood every season. About the biggest ones you will ever find, right there next to the road laughing...

Sometimes the best fishing is right in front of us.

😂. I may have to do my fishing in Alaska. Guess I should change up to...some good camping spots!

My all time favorite fly fishing place is on the Salmon River running through the Goodnews Bay Platinum Mine. For years I caught my fill of salmon on the river using 5/8 ounce pixies. Then I discovered the river...well more of a creek.....was loaded with dolly varden. My wife and I bought a couple G2’s and fly stuff and a fly fishing instructional video from Cabelas. Then bought the fly tying gear....took a fly tying class in the 8th grade, still had my text book from the school named after the guy who claimed to have flown before the Wright brothers in a steam powered aircraft, Lyman Gilmore. So.... tied a bunch of salmon egg flies and off we went.. There was an unbelievable number of these things...so! Three days in a row we fished the creek.. she caught 156, I caught 152. Needless to say we got sick of eating trout before the snow melted off around the middle of May.
33bfa9d31748c88a87b901aba3062de1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Head NW. We’ll find a good camping spot. The more you drink, the less you’ll care about fishing.

Head NW. We’ll find a good camping spot. The more you drink, the less you’ll care about fishing.

Defiantly going to head that way soon!!! Hopefully before March. Switching airplanes at work and head to training in March....there goes my summer!!!

Allen’s creek in Penfield, NY. 200 yards from my house. Rainbows, Browns and Salmon (fall only). Fly into Rochester and take the city bus. You might look funny with waders on the bus.

White and Little Red rivers in Northern Arkansas will prob be your closest. As mentioned by SJ, fly right into Gastons to start fishing. Heber Springs has an airport within walking distance to the damn which becomes the headwaters of the little Red. Good Brownie and rainbow fishing. Wooly buggers and nymphs most popular now. Good luck.

I second Arkansas. Gaston's would be the easiest.

The Little Red is a great place to trout fish, but you need a car to get to the spots. The airport to the dam is a bit farther than most people want to walk. I am also not aware of a car rental service in Heber, but I recommend you call Charlie at the airport and ask. They do have a courtesy car. There's a fly shop nearby that offers a guide service and they might be able to assist you if you're booking a trip through them. You could also look at flying into Searcy or Batesville and renting a car.

I fish the Little Red so if you have any questions specific to it I'll see if I can help.

One other place to look at is Byrd's Adventure Center, located on the Mulberry River in western Arkansas. Google and you'll find it. I don't know about the fishing in the Mulberry but I doubt it's cold enough for trout.

Last edited:
Back