• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bush Pilot’s Survival Kit

I like my Marlin ‘Trapper’, has Skinner sights... changed the front sight color from white to fluorescent orange...works better on white things in the snow... 77D361FB-BC61-452D-9973-E206CB941893.jpeg

Attachments

• 77D361FB-BC61-452D-9973-E206CB941893.jpeg
    77D361FB-BC61-452D-9973-E206CB941893.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 668
I think he was talking about the takedown rifle further down the page. Pretty sure it is the same as sold by Taylors (made by Chiappa) with some cosmetic differences. I have several of that action (71s, 86s, and 92s are all pretty much the same action and have the same "feel") and my Taylors 44 mag is, by far, the smoothest action of any I have ever handled, including well worn Winchesters. The takedown works great and is as solid as a bank vault door. If you can still get the Skinner at that price, jump on it. FYI, I am not a fan of peep sights on the barrel but for defense purposes (<50yds) it will work fine. You just do not get the ghost ring affect as you would have with the peep on the action.

1892 Alaskan Take-Down .44RM, 16” Barrel, Black Soft Touch, Padded Stock End (taylorsfirearms.com)

BushPilotRat7E.jpg
A6BB1978-8A43-4AE6-A2C7-FB9CA30CE137.jpg
BushPilotTDE.jpg
Yes...not the sight...this cool rifle and various goodies

Attachments

• BushPilotRat7E.jpg
    BushPilotRat7E.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 470
  • BushPilotTDE.jpg
    BushPilotTDE.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 364
  • A6BB1978-8A43-4AE6-A2C7-FB9CA30CE137.jpg
    A6BB1978-8A43-4AE6-A2C7-FB9CA30CE137.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,505
Last edited:
Honestly, I wish I had purchased the version with the 20" barrel. It is not really necessary for the barrel to be 16" to be a good takedown combo. The 20" will give a steadier hold and more velocity and will still fit in the takedown case. Broken down, the buttstock and action half of mine is 19.5" long. What I really like is the 20" twist. It can stabilize heavier bullets where the "standard" twist for most 44 mag rifles is 38" (like my B-92) which cannot reliably stabilize much more than 240 to maybe 270 gr bullets. The 20" twist has no problem with 300+ grain bullets as long as they will work through the action.

Last edited:
Something kind of similar with a Ruger American in .308 Win. A couple of years ago, when I put this together, this started as a $300 rifle. The scope is a Leupold 1x4.

AE2087A4-D781-407F-8BF9-72A8AEA2ADB4.jpg
761e1328-5bd7-496d-b37e-c86ffd1b72b3

9733b9bb-3930-46ce-a6db-6f63bf8faf3b

5F8C0022-3B88-4429-A9E6-4D3E447F4A3D.jpeg

You can kind of make out the black case over the top of the yellow axe handle in the belly pod.

Attachments

• 5F8C0022-3B88-4429-A9E6-4D3E447F4A3D.jpeg
    5F8C0022-3B88-4429-A9E6-4D3E447F4A3D.jpeg
    247.9 KB · Views: 525
  • AE2087A4-D781-407F-8BF9-72A8AEA2ADB4.jpg
    AE2087A4-D781-407F-8BF9-72A8AEA2ADB4.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 548
Honestly, I wish I had purchased the version with the 20" barrel. It is not really necessary for the barrel to be 16" to be a good takedown combo. The 20" will give a steadier hold and more velocity and will still fit in the takedown case. Broken down, the buttstock and action half of mine is 19.5" long. What I really like is the 20" twist. It can stabilize heavier bullets where the "standard" twist for most 44 mag rifles is 38" (like my B-92) which cannot reliably stabilize much more than 240 to maybe 270 gr bullets. The 20" twist has no problem with 300+ grain bullets as long as they will work through the action.

Interesting. Where do can I see the 20" version? Can't find it for some reason.

I’d go with a rifle caliber over a pistol caliber, when shopping for survival purposes. Wild West makes a very nice break-down 45-70 in a lever action. I prefer the already assembled, shortened Marlin Trapper in 45-70...Survival not only depends on getting game to eat, but stopping game that will eat you...

TOOLS.jpgHere are my choices. Marlin GBL 1895 45/70 and a SW 629 PP in 44mag.

Attachments

• TOOLS.jpg
    TOOLS.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 717
Unpopular opinion: a small AK47 type is the best survival gun. Works every time, 7.62x39 is equivalent to 30-30, the rifle is relatively small and easy to carry compared to larger leverguns, you have 20-30 rounds onboard minimum which should be enough for any situation. Plus I don't know but I would assume 123gr steel core armor penetrating bullets make a convincing argument against large angry animals. Plus the stock can be folded so it stows away in the baggage nice and small.

Wild West Guns- Co Pilot: 45-70, .457 WWG Magnum and single feed .410, I love shooting this rifle(come to think of it, I love shooting all of mine). Partnered with a pistol right for the operating environment:

WWG.jpg

Attachments

• WWG.jpg
    WWG.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 400
Well, speaking of unpopular opinion....having wandered around the “wilds” and “swamps” of Alaska and the west for much of my like, a lot of it while well armed, these days I just don’t consider a gun as very high at all on my list of survival “tools”.

As well proven by numerous actual survival stories, food almost always features pretty low in the category of “necessities”. Now, “protection from things that might eat you” is clearly a more important use for a firearm in a survival situation. But, bears are likely highest on pretty much everyone’s list when it comes to that. And, I’ve worked around bears for decades, and only ones I’ve had to kill were already wounded by someone else.

So, frankly, unless you’re in polar bear country, a big rifle especially is NOT on my list of “survival tools”. Try shooting a bunny for dinner with that .45-70 and see how much “dinner” is left. (Full disclosure: I own a .45-70 Guide Gun.).

But, whatever winds your watch is fine with me. Just make certain that you’re also carrying what most consider to actually be “survival necessities”.

MTV

Yea it is pretty dangerous down there in Bozeman, with all those Yuppies & Millennials carrying hot lattes around...I’d be scared to death.

Well, speaking of unpopular opinion....having wandered around the “wilds” and “swamps” of Alaska and the west for much of my like, a lot of it while well armed, these days I just don’t consider a gun as very high at all on my list of survival “tools”.
MTV

It's true! Me and my brother talk all the time and to no end about "woods guns" or what to carry with us when flying ect...but that's all the fantasy of gun guys looking for a reason to buy another gun. It's the same as a "truck gun" "end of the world gun" or "zombie guns". Just another niche to buy a gun for and leave it in the safe.

Most trips afield are done with either a Ruger Single Six for ptarmigan that might stray into the trail or a Super Blackhawk 44mag if it's the right season for bears to be wandering around. As far as survival, the Single Six 22lr lives in the plane with a couple hundred rounds because that's what's going to put food on the table.

The reality of a survival situation is being able to feed yourself for a while on small game which the 22lr is great at. You can pack a ton of ammo and shoot grouse/ptarmigan/rabbits. If you not only crash but then are set upon by a gang of angry bears then I would think that luck is just not on your side and no amount of hot lead is going to bail you out.

Full disclosure....The gun in this original post would never be my first choice in any survival situation....I just don't presently have a gun with a cool floatplane engraved on it. Like any gun nut, that's all it takes to get me interested. lol. I carry an over/under .22/.410 Savage 42 most of the time.

Yea it is pretty dangerous down there in Bozeman, with all those Yuppies & Millennials carrying hot lattes around...I’d be scared to death.

Damn! Busted again! But never underestimate the dangers of a Millennial with ahotlatte coming at you at seventy mph in their brand new Beemer, while texting.

THAT’s where a 45-70 would be handy hereabouts.

That said, elk hunters have been discovering the hazards of the burgeoning grizzly bear population here lately. Couple maulings last fall.

MTV

A more likely scenario once on the ground,,, I always liked this video. Especially the music in the beginning. These were the better years. I'd gladly take the M1 carbines at the end I the video.

Damn! Busted again! But never underestimate the dangers of a Millennial with ahotlatte coming at you at seventy mph in their brand new Beemer, while texting.

THAT’s where a 45-70 would be handy hereabouts.

That said, elk hunters have been discovering the hazards of the burgeoning grizzly bear population here lately. Couple maulings last fall.

MTV

Yeah you are right! That phone or big screen on the dash-texting, makes it all the more scary...

I’m working on getting a short barrel and stocked 22 magnum either SS or with a Magazine that I will have in my bird with 100+ rounds of solid Ammo.
Will work on everything that I would need to eat. Birds, deer, any size game. Great penetration, not worried about bears very low percentage there. But lots of Ammo, light, accurate, effective!!

I have a Kel-tec pmr30, very light and 30 round mag. Not expensive but may be hard to find now.

there is one for sale now on Alaskaslist, I carry a pmr30 when xcountry skiing on the trails above the house. Both wolves and moose on the trails. The 22wrm is loud enough to scare moose that won’t get off the trail and powerful enough to takedown a big wolf that is trying to eat your dog...

Ammo is light for the number of rounds, effect if well placed shots, easy to get over 22 Hornet, 100 rounds weigh about the same as a box of 12ga or 45-70 quiet but load enough to scare off many big animals.

Native AK says it will take everything if you place your shot right.

no I don’t want to hold off a Grizzley but not something I will be needing to do about 99.5% of the time.

no I don’t want to hold off a Grizzley but not something I will be needing to do about 99.5% of the time.

Andrew Garcia did with (if I recall right) a single-shot .22. But that was back in those days when mountain men were really mountain men. (Or his Tough Trip through Paradise was embellished....).

In any event, now I want to try a new gun.

Back