• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bush Pilot’s Survival Kit

Just a suggestion, some of you may have tried it but if you ARE partial to carrying a 45-70 guide gun, just for grins pick up a box of 2 1/2” .410 shotgun shells and try them. It’s single shot loading but works like a charm. Great for having around for knocking off dinner whether it’s grouse, ptarmigan, bunnies, whatever. Low pressure, Recoil is almost nothing, kills out to ~35-40’, ejects great like it was made for it. DONT use 3” .410 shells. Once they’re fired they’re too long to eject. 2 1/2’s no problem at all. Kinda fun plinking. Shells expand to the chamber and are junk once fired but I’ve never had any split. Enjoy!

Oz

I have a Kel-tec pmr30, very light and 30 round mag. Not expensive but may be hard to find now.

Super light weight, very compact, good accuracy, and with a spare magazine, over a box of ammo. I put a Holosun red dot in. IMG_20210202_092649155.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210202_092649155.jpg
    IMG_20210202_092649155.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 184
I don't think the gun holds any malice towards Canadians, perhaps it's Canada that is unfriendly to guns?

Always figured a .22 pistol (proficient in it as well) or any reasonably sized handgun was the best survival firearm. Loud enough to scare stuff (i.e. bears,moose etc.) and maybe signal location to searchers. Small enough to fit in survival vest that’s ON YOU. Does not require a case that might not be accessible after a crash or ditching. Also small, lightweight, no setup/takedown and can carry a fair amount of of non bulky ammo. This means I can pack a few more mountain houses/snacks in my ditch bag in case of an extended stay and not have to worry about shooting bunny’s and red squirrels to make the difference between life and death. Besides, in RECENT times what’s the longest amount of time a crash survivor has had to wait for rescue. Bet it’s not weeks and a 25 mile walk, but in the end it doesn’t hurt to be prepared for such a epic ordeal.

Andrew Garcia did with (if I recall right) a single-shot .22. But that was back in those days when mountain men were really mountain men. (Or his Tough Trip through Paradise was embellished....).

In any event, now I want to try a new gun.

It’s at least ten years since I read Garcia’s story but I don’t remember the grizzly/.22 story. But there was a Canadian native lady named Bella Twin that killed one with a .22 long! https://www.google.com/search?q=nat...ifle&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

I like the .22 WMR. My wife has killed several white tails with it at close range. And I killed a doe with a .22 Long rifle. All were head shots. It works well on turkeys too.

E0264810-D54E-4946-858A-1C2E46468917.jpeg9

I was out yesterday and pulled out some of the basics I carry in the winter. The black case is the .308 Win I mentioned earlier.

I cut this fresh lion track while shoeing around. The only track I saw.

D85EA6DA-6B29-4419-B824-27D8B423AA88.jpeg

Attachments

• E0264810-D54E-4946-858A-1C2E46468917.jpeg
    E0264810-D54E-4946-858A-1C2E46468917.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 723
  • D85EA6DA-6B29-4419-B824-27D8B423AA88.jpeg
    D85EA6DA-6B29-4419-B824-27D8B423AA88.jpeg
    231.1 KB · Views: 194
It’s at least ten years since I read Garcia’s story but I don’t remember the grizzly/.22 story.

It's been 30 years since I read it, so I might be the one that has it wrong. But for some reason I remember him being married to an Indian wife who kept calling him a coward because he wouldn't take care of the griz that was bothering their camp. He ended up shooting it with his trapping gun.

And then his wife bragged to all her family about how he was the bravest man who ever lived.

I haven't been doing much shooting lately, but the talk of takedown lever actions got me thinking about it again. Dave Clay would take your Marlin of choice and do a really slick takedown conversion on it. I had one done years ago. Not cheap, not fast, but really nice work. Just felt like sharing.

One of his show guns:

sW2knGA.jpg

One of my 1895's he converted:

cfllMxh.jpg

Attachments

• sW2knGA.jpg
    sW2knGA.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 372
  • cfllMxh.jpg
    cfllMxh.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 420
Should of said customs unfriendly,, how long is the barrel??

CALIBER[FONT=&quot].22WMR
[/FONT]

WEIGHT UNLOADED[FONT=&quot]3.8lbs
[FONT=&quot]1.7kg[/FONT]
[/FONT]

MAGAZINE CAPACITY[FONT=&quot]30
[/FONT]

OVERALL LENGTH[FONT=&quot]29.9”
[FONT=&quot]759mm[/FONT]
[/FONT]

LENGTH COLLAPSED[FONT=&quot]22.5”
[FONT=&quot]571mm[/FONT]
[/FONT]

BARREL LENGTH[FONT=&quot]16”
[FONT=&quot]408mm[/FONT]
[/FONT]

TWIST RATE[FONT=&quot]1:14″
[FONT=&quot]1:356mm[/FONT]
[/FONT]

TRIGGER PULL[FONT=&quot]5lbs
[/FONT]

Can't beat a M1 carbine. It is 5 pounds empty, rapid fire, easily aimed, impact energy of a .357 Magnum, easy to clean, 30 round magazines available and cheap (60 cents) standard ammo easily available as well. It also has the ability to take a large deer as well as smaller game. I'm not disputing the value of a lightweight .22 for food collection though.

Impact energy against a bear is important, but I believe that the most important features of a bear protection gun are weight and range. Low weight means that you will be more likely to have it on you when the SHTF. A handgun's accuracy is approximately worthless beyond 15 yards. A carbine extends the reach to where a charging bear can be stopped before it's 1-2 seconds away at 45mph.

Another thought. The CMMG Banshee 10mm is 4 1/2 pounds, accurate rapid fire and it takes Glock 10mm magazines, which a lot of people are carrying as a sidearm these days anyway. The 10mm cartridge through a 16 inch barrel delivers impressive energies.

Black bears or moose are the biggest critters we have here. I have a .22 handgun and ammo in my baggage pack. I carry my Glock in .357 sig in an inside the waistband holster that is very comfortable (always if I am flying. No good to me if I can't get to it). I recently bought the Ruger 10/22 takedown in stainless with comp stock. Packs in a nice little nylon case. Might put that in the baggage instead of the little handgun. I have to disagree with the 15 yd accuracy statement. Out to 50yds 12" circle is not hard to hit consistently. I would agree that 15 yds is probably good for inexperienced shooters, but those who are competent shooters can hit well beyond that.

It's been 30 years since I read it, so I might be the one that has it wrong. But for some reason I remember him being married to an Indian wife who kept calling him a coward because he wouldn't take care of the griz that was bothering their camp. He ended up shooting it with his trapping gun.

And then his wife bragged to all her family about how he was the bravest man who ever lived.

I pulled Tough Trip Through Paradise of off the shelf this evening and skimmed through it and looked at chapter titles and couldn’t find a story like this. But he had several native wives over the years and there are many, many stories in the book, so it could be in there.

He spent his last years on his ranch not far from here, in Mineral county. I90 goes through there now as you come off Lookout Pass. It was then that he wrote the manuscript.

It is a great book. I’ll probably read it again now.

I have to disagree with the 15 yd accuracy statement. Out to 50yds 12" circle is not hard to hit consistently. I would agree that 15 yds is probably good for inexperienced shooters, but those who are competent shooters can hit well beyond that.

Just guessing on the actual percentage, but probably 98% of us here would envy the abilities of anybody who can talk a handgun into making a 12 inch group at 150 feet on a charging bear!

Been around a lot of bears, but the only time I felt the need to deploy a firearm happened so fast, I doubt anything short of a contact shot while the bear was on me would have been possible. Walking through thick alders with a 12 gauge slung over my shoulder on the only passable “path” when I heard a loud crashing. Saw the bear at a very short distance running toward us, and as I fumbled for the gun luckily I stepped to the side and the bear ran right by us and kept going.

Why would anyone shoot at a bear at 150'? That's not a close encounter and it sure as hell isn't self defense. When a bear closes to 15-20' is when you take a shot. And if you wait for 15-20' the vast majority of the time you'll never need to shoot. Even with bears that are huffing. Bluff charges are common. No reason to call their bluff and escalate the situation.

Was taking about the accuracy of handguns. Not about shooting at a charging bear at all. It's no wonder some us post less all the time. Some of you guys just like to argue a point in any manner possible.

Was taking about the accuracy of handguns. Not about shooting at a charging bear at all. It's no wonder some us post less all the time. Some of you guys just like to argue a point in any manner possible.

Crow, just so there’s no misunderstanding I was just telling my bear story. That’s all, nothing more intended...

Something kind of similar with a Ruger American in .308 Win. A couple of years ago, when I put this together, this started as a $300 rifle. The scope is a Leupold 1x4.

View attachment 53868
761e1328-5bd7-496d-b37e-c86ffd1b72b3

9733b9bb-3930-46ce-a6db-6f63bf8faf3b

View attachment 53867

You can kind of make out the black case over the top of the yellow axe handle in the belly pod.

WOW!! That is a BEAUTIFUL photo of a BEAUTIFUL paint job!!! Which system is that? The depth of colour and shine are amazing!!

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Been around a lot of bears, but the only time I felt the need to deploy a firearm happened so fast, I doubt anything short of a contact shot while the bear was on me would have been possible. Walking through thick alders with a 12 gauge slung over my shoulder on the only passable “path” when I heard a loud crashing. Saw the bear at a very short distance running toward us, and as I fumbled for the gun luckily I stepped to the side and the bear ran right by us and kept going.

Reminds me of the brownie killed in SE AK a few years back where the first couple guys in the group had their shotguns slung over their shoulder. 4 guys walking, bear came through the first two and the 11 year old that was number 3 in line with his shotgun he was carrying and not slung killed the bear. The boy's dad hadn't got around to putting a sling on it yet.

Reminds me of the brownie killed in SE AK a few years back where the first couple guys in the group had their shotguns slung over their shoulder. 4 guys walking, bear came through the first two and the 11 year old that was number 3 in line with his shotgun he was carrying and not slung killed the bear. The boy's dad hadn't got around to putting a sling on it yet.

On the one hand, lucky that the sling hadn’t been fitted, but if the bear was planning on carrying on running, like in the story above, seems very sad for the bear

#GuessWe’llNeverKnow

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

WOW!! That is a BEAUTIFUL photo of a BEAUTIFUL paint job!!! Which system is that? The depth of colour and shine are amazing!!

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

This just a Polytone white with Aerothane trim colors. And the Aerothane white is flattened to match the Polytone. If Polytone is chilled before it is sprayed it has a bit more shine to it.

This just a Polytone white with Aerothane trim colors. And the Aerothane white is flattened to match the Polytone. If Polytone is chilled before it is sprayed it has a bit more shine to it.

Thanks for the info! Was the finish part of a new covering, or applied to existing fabric? The whole job looks brand new!! [emoji1303][emoji1306]

That picture was from last month. I sprayed it in 2010 - not a rejuvination. I'm hangared which helps.

And so we don't get too far off track, here's another picture of the .308.

IMG_6142.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6142.jpg
    IMG_6142.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 250
That picture was from last month. I sprayed it in 2010 - not a rejuvination. I'm hangared which helps.

And so we don't get too far off track, here's another picture of the .308.

View attachment 54028

NICE .308 !!

You’ve just made my day!!! I’ve done lots of mechanical work on my 12 and it’s now just the paint that lets it down, it’s on Ceconite which is still in almost 100% great condition despite 20+ years on and following your lead in spraying over the original fabric is now looking like the way to go!!! [emoji41] THANK YOU!!!!!

Last edited:
For those of you looking at transiting canada our firearms law s were written by a bunch of southern ontarians unsure of there buttocks or a hole in the ground. #1 as of this Year, ARs are considered prohibited. Expect if you show up to have it confiscated, and turned around with or without criminal charges.

#2 OAL must be 26" or over, if a semiautomatic you must be over 18.6" bbl. .22s with a factory bbl shorter are ok as long as oal>26"

3. Magazines, Semiautomatic pistol magazines are limited to 10 rds. If pistol mag will fit in a semiautomatic rifle and it is marked as such it maybe 10 rds, however if for a rifle or unmarked limited to 5rds. .22 RF are normally exempt, but rugers are now limited to 10 rds, as the charger pistol mags interchange, same with the keltec, so have them blocked to 10(maybe load 20 in the bottom underneath the springplate, and then load 10 from the top) to meet the letter of the law

45 WIN MAG Carbine

Can't beat a M1 carbine. It is 5 pounds empty, rapid fire, easily aimed, impact energy of a .357 Magnum, easy to clean, 30 round magazines available and cheap (60 cents) standard ammo easily available as well. It also has the ability to take a large deer as well as smaller game. I'm not disputing the value of a lightweight .22 for food collection though.

Impact energy against a bear is important, but I believe that the most important features of a bear protection gun are weight and range. Low weight means that you will be more likely to have it on you when the SHTF. A handgun's accuracy is approximately worthless beyond 15 yards. A carbine extends the reach to where a charging bear can be stopped before it's 1-2 seconds away at 45mph.

Another thought. The CMMG Banshee 10mm is 4 1/2 pounds, accurate rapid fire and it takes Glock 10mm magazines, which a lot of people are carrying as a sidearm these days anyway. The 10mm cartridge through a 16 inch barrel delivers impressive energies.
standprodm1 143.JPG
M1 Carbine converted to 45 Winchester Magnum. With a 230 grain hardball bullet it has impressive penetration. And it's a Winchester.

Attachments

• standprodm1 143.JPG
    standprodm1 143.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 201
Back