Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bush Pilotís Survival Kit

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed. Iíve the same one, although itís the Guide model w/laminated stock and hoop lever for mitten/gloves.
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    I like my Marlin ĎTrapperí, has Skinner sights... changed the front sight color from white to fluorescent orange...works better on white things in the snow...Attachment 53861

Post Thanks / Like
    You mean Ruglin?
    Glad this happened. Whatever oneís thoughts on Bill Rugerís commentary re: magazine sizes, theyíd likely agree that Ruger continues to make fine firearms for decent prices.

https://www.alloutdoor.com/2020/09/30/long-live-lever-gun/

Quote Originally Posted by N3243A View Post
    Perhaps some day you Remlin lever gun guys might graduate to a real lever gun in 500 S&W instead. How about a Big Horn Armory Model 89 with 7+1 of 50 cal. Medicine. Out of a rifle the 500 S&W is quite a performer. Big Horn Armory initially tried to marry the Marlin 1895 action to the 500 S&W and found the action couldn't take the pressure so they had to build one from scratch. Attachment 54858

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a fact. Ruger has long been a pretty incredible maker of guns of the neatest designs at a reasonable price. After all who else would make a miniature garand action 223 or a falling block big bore rifle still these days? I'm sure glad they bought Marlin. Hopefully Marlin's name will mean a quality build again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well friends! Survivalgear does not contain only camping gear. What is you are going down land safe on a gravel or something else and need only a srew, a peace of wire or else. Had that kind of occasion not only once. And I was happy not only having a nice camp but also could repair and fly out my cub safe
    The wandering raven
    Likes wireweinie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash, Jr. View Post
    It's true! Me and my brother talk all the time and to no end about "woods guns" or what to carry with us when flying ect...but that's all the fantasy of gun guys looking for a reason to buy another gun. It's the same as a "truck gun" "end of the world gun" or "zombie guns". Just another niche to buy a gun for and leave it in the safe.

Most trips afield are done with either a Ruger Single Six for ptarmigan that might stray into the trail or a Super Blackhawk 44mag if it's the right season for bears to be wandering around. As far as survival, the Single Six 22lr lives in the plane with a couple hundred rounds because that's what's going to put food on the table.

The reality of a survival situation is being able to feed yourself for a while on small game which the 22lr is great at. You can pack a ton of ammo and shoot grouse/ptarmigan/rabbits. If you not only crash but then are set upon by a gang of angry bears then I would think that luck is just not on your side and no amount of hot lead is going to bail you out.
    3 weeks to starve to death; 3 days to die from thirst and about 3 hours to freeze to death. I know what my priority is for survival equipment! (But I do keep a 2-piece Ruger 10-22 and couple hundred rounds of .22LR in back of plane for just the reasons youíve specified)
    Likes RVBottomly, JeffP liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Alaskan take down rifles in both 44 and 357. I bought the 44 for a single caliber thing. I had so much fun shooting pistol cartridges I bought the 357 for my dad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyR View Post
    3 weeks to starve to death; 3 days to die from thirst and about 3 hours to freeze to death. I know what my priority is for survival equipment! (But I do keep a 2-piece Ruger 10-22 and couple hundred rounds of .22LR in back of plane for just the reasons you’ve specified)
    Yep, read “Hey I’m Alive” by Helen Klaben. No guns, no food, and they survived a couple months in the Yukon.....in winter.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Iím surprised no mention of Thompson Encore as a survival firearm.
    It can be configured in a variety of calibers, compact and versatile.
    Pistol grip configuration with an iron site 44 mag barrel. Can be quickly swapped out for a 14Ē EER scoped .243 barrel for long range work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice gun but too limited of utility. If you need a 44 then you also need decently quick follow up shots as well and the single shot doesn't do that. If you need to harvest game then a .22 is the choice in a survival sense so a Contender or better yet a small revolver is better there.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Contender (and the Encore too I guess) but a dedicated gun or two that really excel at what they do are better than a dedicated hunting handgun. A 44 revolver and a 22 revolver cover the bases while weighing about the same as an Encore with a spare barrel and scope.
    Likes Oliver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    7.62x39 is equivalent to 30-30
    True with .30 Carbine not far behind... I mention this because the "Carbine" is not seen by the general public as an "evil black gun." Grandpappy carried one during THE WAR.

don't know but I would assume 123gr steel core armor penetrating bullets make a convincing argument against large angry animals.
    Think about the mission. Steel core is a military round designed to penetrate Kevlar and the like. What you want when you are facing a big bear or such is to leave every bit of the kenetic energy in the target. Hornady makes nice bullets for x39. They offer complete cartridges for those who don't roll their own. Ain't cheap but what do you need? Maybe one box or two. Even .223 Gold Dots leave all their considerable energy behind, while X193 might (it will shred if traveling fast enough that forces overcome band tension) and M855 will just blow right through.

If you want an unpopular choice, try 5.45x39. Ballisticaly at high velocity those hollow noses have a lot going for them.
    Thanks mixer thanked for this post
    Likes C130jake, Crash, Jr., Airguide, boarfish liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Really depends on the mission like you say. For bears that have hard to penetrate spots I'll take the bimetal jacket/steel core rounds.

.223 is very popular among natives for protection against animals. You see lots of Mini-14's and now the occasional AR15 being carried around. Mainly larger hunting rifles though. I like my Mini-14 well enough but I'll take the burlier 7.62x39 over it in Alaska.

To make a counter point though, it isn't about leaving kinetic energy behind. The game is penetration. When you have an animal coming directly towards you, you're trying to penetrate it lengthwise end to end and do as much damage as possible on the way through. Something like a Hornady V-Max bullet that's an expanding bullet will shed it's jacket and fail to penetrate on bears or any tough game. 556/223/545 is not much better as the bullet begins to tumble. Those were all made for use on humans and deer size game where penetration doesn't exceed two feet. For a large black bear you're needing to put that bullet through 5 to 8 foot of animal so penetration is critical. That's why large bore revolvers are normally loaded with hard cast lead slugs. A proper high powered rifle like 300WM (and larger) you can get away with an expanding bullet but for the smaller rounds I lean towards something that will stay in one piece and penetrate an animal completely.
    Likes wireweinie liked this post