Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bush Pilotís Survival Kit

Post Thanks / Like

Bush Pilotís Survival Kit

Ah, I know Christmas is over...,but I didnít get what I asked for...so Iíll take this please:
    http://skinnersights.com/index.html
    Thanks MTBR12 thanked for this post
    Likes dgapilot, fancypants liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I like my Marlin ‘Trapper’, has Skinner sights... changed the front sight color from white to fluorescent orange...works better on white things in the snow...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	77D361FB-BC61-452D-9973-E206CB941893.jpeg 
Views:	416 
Size:	208.9 KB 
ID:	53861
    Likes Dan Gervae, fancypants liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I think he was talking about the takedown rifle further down the page. Pretty sure it is the same as sold by Taylors (made by Chiappa) with some cosmetic differences. I have several of that action (71s, 86s, and 92s are all pretty much the same action and have the same "feel") and my Taylors 44 mag is, by far, the smoothest action of any I have ever handled, including well worn Winchesters. The takedown works great and is as solid as a bank vault door. If you can still get the Skinner at that price, jump on it. FYI, I am not a fan of peep sights on the barrel but for defense purposes (<50yds) it will work fine. You just do not get the ghost ring affect as you would have with the peep on the action.

1892 Alaskan Take-Down .44RM, 16” Barrel, Black Soft Touch, Padded Stock End (taylorsfirearms.com)

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BushPilotRat7E.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	53865

Name:	A6BB1978-8A43-4AE6-A2C7-FB9CA30CE137.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	53869

Name:	BushPilotTDE.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	53866
    Yes...not the sight...this cool rifle and various goodies
    Last edited by Dan Gervae; 01-31-2021 at 10:18 AM.
    Likes SJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, I wish I had purchased the version with the 20" barrel. It is not really necessary for the barrel to be 16" to be a good takedown combo. The 20" will give a steadier hold and more velocity and will still fit in the takedown case. Broken down, the buttstock and action half of mine is 19.5" long. What I really like is the 20" twist. It can stabilize heavier bullets where the "standard" twist for most 44 mag rifles is 38" (like my B-92) which cannot reliably stabilize much more than 240 to maybe 270 gr bullets. The 20" twist has no problem with 300+ grain bullets as long as they will work through the action.
    Last edited by WYflyer; 01-31-2021 at 10:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Something kind of similar with a Ruger American in .308 Win. A couple of years ago, when I put this together, this started as a $300 rifle. The scope is a Leupold 1x4.

Name:	AE2087A4-D781-407F-8BF9-72A8AEA2ADB4.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	53868

Name:	5F8C0022-3B88-4429-A9E6-4D3E447F4A3D.jpeg 
Views:	314 
Size:	247.9 KB 
ID:	53867

You can kind of make out the black case over the top of the yellow axe handle in the belly pod.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp
    Thanks Philly5G thanked for this post
    Likes Philly5G liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WYflyer View Post
    Honestly, I wish I had purchased the version with the 20" barrel. It is not really necessary for the barrel to be 16" to be a good takedown combo. The 20" will give a steadier hold and more velocity and will still fit in the takedown case. Broken down, the buttstock and action half of mine is 19.5" long. What I really like is the 20" twist. It can stabilize heavier bullets where the "standard" twist for most 44 mag rifles is 38" (like my B-92) which cannot reliably stabilize much more than 240 to maybe 270 gr bullets. The 20" twist has no problem with 300+ grain bullets as long as they will work through the action.
    Interesting. Where do can I see the 20" version? Can't find it for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner2 View Post
    Something kind of similar with a Ruger American in .308 Win. A couple of years ago, when I put this together, this started as a $300 rifle. The scope is a Leupold 1x4.

Name:	AE2087A4-D781-407F-8BF9-72A8AEA2ADB4.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	53868

Name:	5F8C0022-3B88-4429-A9E6-4D3E447F4A3D.jpeg 
Views:	314 
Size:	247.9 KB 
ID:	53867

You can kind of make out the black case over the top of the yellow axe handle in the belly pod.
    Yes, but Dan, do you really need a MOA sniper rifle for survival?

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RVBottomly View Post
    Interesting. Where do can I see the 20" version? Can't find it for some reason.
    Never mind. Found it in their catalog:
    https://taylorsfirearms.com/media/si...talog_2020.pdf
    Thanks JDWilliams thanked for this post
    Likes JDWilliams liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I’d go with a rifle caliber over a pistol caliber, when shopping for survival purposes. Wild West makes a very nice break-down 45-70 in a lever action. I prefer the already assembled, shortened Marlin Trapper in 45-70...Survival not only depends on getting game to eat, but stopping game that will eat you...
    Likes MTBR12, cubflier liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I’d consider the 45-70 option on this....I could probably assemble my own kit for less...I posted it because it’s cool and the engraving is very attractive
    https://www.recoilweb.com/skinner-si...98307.html?amp
    Thanks jrussl thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I will affirm that those Taylor stormproof torch matches are God's gift to starting a fire.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	TOOLS.jpg 
Views:	408 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	53887Here are my choices. Marlin GBL 1895 45/70 and a SW 629 PP in 44mag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unpopular opinion: a small AK47 type is the best survival gun. Works every time, 7.62x39 is equivalent to 30-30, the rifle is relatively small and easy to carry compared to larger leverguns, you have 20-30 rounds onboard minimum which should be enough for any situation. Plus I don't know but I would assume 123gr steel core armor penetrating bullets make a convincing argument against large angry animals. Plus the stock can be folded so it stows away in the baggage nice and small.
    Likes Philly5G, Brandsman, DavidJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Wild West Guns- Co Pilot: 45-70, .457 WWG Magnum and single feed .410, I love shooting this rifle(come to think of it, I love shooting all of mine). Partnered with a pistol right for the operating environment:

Name:	WWG.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	53888
    Likes Crash, Jr. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, speaking of unpopular opinion....having wandered around the “wilds” and “swamps” of Alaska and the west for much of my like, a lot of it while well armed, these days I just don’t consider a gun as very high at all on my list of survival “tools”.

As well proven by numerous actual survival stories, food almost always features pretty low in the category of “necessities”. Now, “protection from things that might eat you” is clearly a more important use for a firearm in a survival situation. But, bears are likely highest on pretty much everyone’s list when it comes to that. And, I’ve worked around bears for decades, and only ones I’ve had to kill were already wounded by someone else.

So, frankly, unless you’re in polar bear country, a big rifle especially is NOT on my list of “survival tools”. Try shooting a bunny for dinner with that .45-70 and see how much “dinner” is left. (Full disclosure: I own a .45-70 Guide Gun.).

But, whatever winds your watch is fine with me. Just make certain that you’re also carrying what most consider to actually be “survival necessities”.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea it is pretty dangerous down there in Bozeman, with all those Yuppies & Millennials carrying hot lattes around...I’d be scared to death.
    Likes Philly5G, DavePA11 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    Well, speaking of unpopular opinion....having wandered around the “wilds” and “swamps” of Alaska and the west for much of my like, a lot of it while well armed, these days I just don’t consider a gun as very high at all on my list of survival “tools”.
    MTV
    It's true! Me and my brother talk all the time and to no end about "woods guns" or what to carry with us when flying ect...but that's all the fantasy of gun guys looking for a reason to buy another gun. It's the same as a "truck gun" "end of the world gun" or "zombie guns". Just another niche to buy a gun for and leave it in the safe.

Most trips afield are done with either a Ruger Single Six for ptarmigan that might stray into the trail or a Super Blackhawk 44mag if it's the right season for bears to be wandering around. As far as survival, the Single Six 22lr lives in the plane with a couple hundred rounds because that's what's going to put food on the table.

The reality of a survival situation is being able to feed yourself for a while on small game which the 22lr is great at. You can pack a ton of ammo and shoot grouse/ptarmigan/rabbits. If you not only crash but then are set upon by a gang of angry bears then I would think that luck is just not on your side and no amount of hot lead is going to bail you out.
    Likes akscotts, IainR liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Full disclosure....The gun in this original post would never be my first choice in any survival situation....I just don't presently have a gun with a cool floatplane engraved on it. Like any gun nut, that's all it takes to get me interested. lol. I carry an over/under .22/.410 Savage 42 most of the time.
    Thanks JeffP thanked for this post
    Likes 40m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    Yea it is pretty dangerous down there in Bozeman, with all those Yuppies & Millennials carrying hot lattes around...I’d be scared to death.
    Damn! Busted again! But never underestimate the dangers of a Millennial with ahotlatte coming at you at seventy mph in their brand new Beemer, while texting.

THAT’s where a 45-70 would be handy hereabouts.

That said, elk hunters have been discovering the hazards of the burgeoning grizzly bear population here lately. Couple maulings last fall.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    A more likely scenario once on the ground,,, I always liked this video. Especially the music in the beginning. These were the better years. I'd gladly take the M1 carbines at the end I the video.

ďWe sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.Ē

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    Damn! Busted again! But never underestimate the dangers of a Millennial with ahotlatte coming at you at seventy mph in their brand new Beemer, while texting.

THAT’s where a 45-70 would be handy hereabouts.

That said, elk hunters have been discovering the hazards of the burgeoning grizzly bear population here lately. Couple maulings last fall.

MTV
    Yeah you are right! That phone or big screen on the dash-texting, makes it all the more scary...

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m working on getting a short barrel and stocked 22 magnum either SS or with a Magazine that I will have in my bird with 100+ rounds of solid Ammo.
    Will work on everything that I would need to eat. Birds, deer, any size game. Great penetration, not worried about bears very low percentage there. But lots of Ammo, light, accurate, effective!!
    Likes KevinJ, fancypants liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You looking a something like .22 WMR or something like .22 Hornet?

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wireweinie View Post
    you looking a something like .22 wmr or something like .22 hornet?

Web

22wrm
    Thanks wireweinie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Kel-tec pmr30, very light and 30 round mag. Not expensive but may be hard to find now.
    Likes Paul Persinger Jr. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Watson View Post
    I have a Kel-tec pmr30, very light and 30 round mag. Not expensive but may be hard to find now.
    there is one for sale now on Alaskaslist, I carry a pmr30 when xcountry skiing on the trails above the house. Both wolves and moose on the trails. The 22wrm is loud enough to scare moose that won’t get off the trail and powerful enough to takedown a big wolf that is trying to eat your dog...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wireweinie View Post
    You looking a something like .22 WMR or something like .22 Hornet?

Web
    Curious about your preference for the .22 WMR. Weight of ammo?

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ammo is light for the number of rounds, effect if well placed shots, easy to get over 22 Hornet, 100 rounds weigh about the same as a box of 12ga or 45-70 quiet but load enough to scare off many big animals.

Native AK says it will take everything if you place your shot right.

no I don’t want to hold off a Grizzley but not something I will be needing to do about 99.5% of the time.
    Thanks wireweinie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorguns View Post

no I don’t want to hold off a Grizzley but not something I will be needing to do about 99.5% of the time.
    Andrew Garcia did with (if I recall right) a single-shot .22. But that was back in those days when mountain men were really mountain men. (Or his Tough Trip through Paradise was embellished....).

In any event, now I want to try a new gun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a suggestion, some of you may have tried it but if you ARE partial to carrying a 45-70 guide gun, just for grins pick up a box of 2 1/2” .410 shotgun shells and try them. It’s single shot loading but works like a charm. Great for having around for knocking off dinner whether it’s grouse, ptarmigan, bunnies, whatever. Low pressure, Recoil is almost nothing, kills out to ~35-40’, ejects great like it was made for it. DONT use 3” .410 shells. Once they’re fired they’re too long to eject. 2 1/2’s no problem at all. Kinda fun plinking. Shells expand to the chamber and are junk once fired but I’ve never had any split. Enjoy!

Oz
    Likes sharp, nanook liked this post

Laporte, Minnesota and the white sandy beaches of NW Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Watson View Post
    Super light weight, very compact, good accuracy, and with a spare magazine, over a box of ammo. I put a Holosun red dot in.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210202_092649155.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	53920
    Likes Crash, Jr. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wwhunter View Post
    super light weight, very compact, good accuracy, and with a spare magazine, over a box of ammo. I put a holosun red dot in.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210202_092649155.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	53920

looks canada unfriendly

ďWe sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.Ē

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think the gun holds any malice towards Canadians, perhaps it's Canada that is unfriendly to guns?
    Likes wireweinie, Broncoformudv liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash, Jr. View Post
    I don't think the gun holds any malice towards Canadians, perhaps it's Canada that is unfriendly to guns?
    Should of said customs unfriendly,, how long is the barrel??

Post Thanks / Like
    Always figured a .22 pistol (proficient in it as well) or any reasonably sized handgun was the best survival firearm. Loud enough to scare stuff (i.e. bears,moose etc.) and maybe signal location to searchers. Small enough to fit in survival vest thatís ON YOU. Does not require a case that might not be accessible after a crash or ditching. Also small, lightweight, no setup/takedown and can carry a fair amount of of non bulky ammo. This means I can pack a few more mountain houses/snacks in my ditch bag in case of an extended stay and not have to worry about shooting bunnyís and red squirrels to make the difference between life and death. Besides, in RECENT times whatís the longest amount of time a crash survivor has had to wait for rescue. Bet itís not weeks and a 25 mile walk, but in the end it doesnít hurt to be prepared for such a epic ordeal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scout88305 View Post
    Should of said customs unfriendly,, how long is the barrel??
    Being a carbine I'd imagine it's a 16" barrel. Shouldn't be illegal in Canada being a long gun as long as magazines are limited to 5 rounds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RVBottomly View Post
    Andrew Garcia did with (if I recall right) a single-shot .22. But that was back in those days when mountain men were really mountain men. (Or his Tough Trip through Paradise was embellished....).

In any event, now I want to try a new gun.
    Itís at least ten years since I read Garciaís story but I donít remember the grizzly/.22 story. But there was a Canadian native lady named Bella Twin that killed one with a .22 long! https://www.google.com/search?q=nati...&client=safari

I like the .22 WMR. My wife has killed several white tails with it at close range. And I killed a doe with a .22 Long rifle. All were head shots. It works well on turkeys too.

Name:	E0264810-D54E-4946-858A-1C2E46468917.jpeg 
Views:	468 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	539279

I was out yesterday and pulled out some of the basics I carry in the winter. The black case is the .308 Win I mentioned earlier.

I cut this fresh lion track while shoeing around. The only track I saw.

Name:	D85EA6DA-6B29-4419-B824-27D8B423AA88.jpeg 
Views:	111 
Size:	231.1 KB 
ID:	53928
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp
    Likes Kid Durango, jrussl, fancypants liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner2 View Post
    It’s at least ten years since I read Garcia’s story but I don’t remember the grizzly/.22 story.
    It's been 30 years since I read it, so I might be the one that has it wrong. But for some reason I remember him being married to an Indian wife who kept calling him a coward because he wouldn't take care of the griz that was bothering their camp. He ended up shooting it with his trapping gun.

And then his wife bragged to all her family about how he was the bravest man who ever lived.

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, the Bella Twin story is just plain amazing.