• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

65 died

95% of where we flew yesterday was hostile territory. This happened within 1 mile of a lake that a half mile wide where he crossed and 139 miles long.
So...... If bolts were never torqued that gear might only be loose when it's cold. It would tighten up after engine temps got warmer. Only wore when cold so maybe took alot of hours to egg out holes. Yesterday below zero flying didn't help the situation any. Just a quess?

Glenn

With an overhaul in 1999, might have taken 22 years.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Better to be lucky than good!!

Lucky and good though, that is a bonus.

Glad people are all safe, and the plane is home without further damage. IO-540's out of the Cherokee 6s now have an impulse AD from this sort of thing. Scary stuff.

Thanks for posting the pics and cause. Nothing worse than someone asking a question and never posting a follow up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The depth of knowlege and troubleshooting skills of folks on this site astound me everytime. Well worth the price of admission

Jim

HT, we are coming up it visit. I haven't peed on your hangar door yet this winter:lol:

Glenn

The last time you micturated on my door the state designated the surrounding area a brownfield. :evil:

HT & V

Attachments

• biohazard.jpeg
    biohazard.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 121
Several years ago we were doing an Annual inspection on a 65 and could not get the mags to time correctly.. every time I moved the prop it would jump 2-3 degrees ( I use a digital Mag-Right indicator for more precision)

Took the mags off and checked internally for bad gear.. nothing wrong with them.. Looked at the drive gear and noticed that when you moved the prop it was lagging.. turned out 2 of the bolts had sheared, one was loose and the last was barely snug.. safety wire was the only thing holding the broken heads from falling into the engine.. pulled the accessory case, removed all the broken bits.. checked the holes and cam.. no metal in screen or oil tank.. put it all back together with new bolts... Airplane still
Flying and we see it every year for annual Inspection..

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back