• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Spinner

Do those of you who removed your spinners notice any increase in CHT?
No. Maybe if you were running 6.00 tires and a cruise prop with more ram air you could see a difference in cooling? At 85mph, a spinner or no spinner makes no difference.

No. Maybe if you were running 6.00 tires and a cruise prop with more ram air you could see a difference in cooling? At 85mph, a spinner or no spinner makes no difference.

Yours only goes 85mph? Mine goes 86!

Due to a lack of other projects I've been thinking the last few days of finally getting around to buying and installing a 12" spinner on my RANS S-7S. I've been using a little 6" aluminum skull cap, that installs with one allen screw, on the Prince prop it also serves as a crush plate so the additional weight of the cap is about nothing. My cowl is meant to have a 12", and right now I have a big gap, and I've always thought that was a good thing, beside the two regular cowl inlets, more inlet air is always good. But I got it in my head just in the last two days, that I would pick up some speed with a big spinner, and maybe somehow clean up the airflow to get MORE air under the cowl, through the "proper" inlets. I too am a 80+ mph'r, 85 if I'm in a hurry.

Then I remembered.....I already HAD a 12" spinner, it's been on the Wall of Shame in the shop along with all the busted props, for the last 13 years. Fiberglas, it came with my kit, but it ended up being a wobbler, so I took it off "temporarily," and took the skull cap out of the junk drawer and never looked back. I took the 12" off the wall, thinking I could re-mount it to eliminate the wobble and maybe get the Sensinich prop gap somehow adapted to the Prince profile. That wasn't going to work so I started searching for new spinners. Then I realized I would need a different hub spacer and started searching for them.

Then I had a epiphany: I weighed the 12" bulkhead and spinner I had, and with the hardware it's almost 2 pounds, as far out in front as it's possible, that gave me pause. Then less then an hour later I see this thread, and have to give thanks for it saving me several hundred dollars, a lot of time, and 2 pounds. I'm keep the skull cap as is. That prop hub logo in the post above this is pretty politically incorrect these days, or not.

After looking at these pictures I took of my current setup, anyone still think a spinner wouldn't cut any drag/increase speed? SC cowls don't have a big hole like that do they?? 13 years and 2700 hours like this, what was supposed to be temporary! The thing is, when I'm in the cockpit I can't see how fugly it is, the rest of the time I tell myself I'm getting lot's of extra cooling. That's not to say I couldn't use some extra cooling on a hot summer climbout, a couple miles an hour (?) cruise increase (or the same speed with a bit less power needed) with the same cooling I have now would be worth the extra weight. If the result was purely cosmetic, I'd pass.

Right now with just a 1/4" hub spacer, the aft side of the prop is about 3/16" from my cowl, and I wonder sometimes if that is a good or bad thing..., don't know. If I did join the spinner camp, I guess I'd have to get a hub spacer to offset the rear bulkhead just enough to clear the cowl. The black thing behind the prop is a Balance Master device BTW.

Attachments

• IMG_20210130_111805982.jpg
    IMG_20210130_111805982.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20210130_111718650.jpg
    IMG_20210130_111718650.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 102
Back