• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Trouble shooting an engine sound suggestions

cubflier

Palmer, AK
I'm at the end of a long chase of a possible engine noise. It' been going on long enough to warrant a conclusion that it's not the engine but somewhere else. I'm hoping I'm correct in that assumption.

What I really want to know is - Has anyone ever used mechanical stethoscopes or similar device to hunt the origin of a mystery noise.

In particular, I'm looking at this device.

https://www.amazon.com/Steelman-60635-Wireless-ChassisEAR/dp/B07K3XZR7R/ref=sr_1_2?crid=UM73GG10GWIW&dchild=1&keywords=steelman+chassis+ear+wireless&qid=1611860395&sprefix=steelman+chassis+ear+wireless%2Caps%2C516&sr=8-2

I want to use it or some other device in flight, if possible. Any ideas welcome.

Jerry

About 20 yrs ago a bad sounding noise that was not the engine. Used a regular Dr's stethoscope and found it quickly. It was a crack at the lower right corner of the firewall to boot cowl and was just vibrating. Sounded a lot worse that that though. It will really pound in your ears when you find it. Takes a little getting used to because you hear all kinds of new sounds.

Had one flying plane come in for recover, found broken upper left tube going to firewall on side hidden behind header tank. That whole side was 1” up at front gear & wing attach. Damage was from back in the polar bear hunting days. This was in mid 90’s

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Had one flying plane come in for recover, found broken upper left tube going to firewall on side hidden behind header tank. That whole side was 1” up at front gear & wing attach. Damage was from back in the polar bear hunting days. This was in mid 90’s

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

20 years? Wow!

Holy cats!! Neat new tool. If you can't find the noise you're looking for, I bet you'll find some you didn't want to know about.

Jim

Back