• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Dynon ADAHRS mounting location in cub

vj88

Anchorage, AK
Where is the recommended location to mount the dynon sv-adahrs-200. Also how did you mount it? Specific concerns are regarding the magnetically benign comment. My wings are covered and would prefer not to mount a remote magnetometer for the compass in the wing.

Dynon says the following “
Installation Location - Motion Sensors: The ADAHRS internal sensors measure rotational motion and acceleration about the CG of the aircraft. In order to maintain accuracy, the ADAHRS should be mounted within six feet laterally (side-to-side) and twelve feet longitudinally (front-to-back) of the aircraft CG. Quite often the best place to mount the ADAHRS is in the fuselage behind the cockpit area. But other locations can work. Please see the SkyView Installation Guide for more details.

Installation Location - Compass: The ADAHRS Modules include a Magnetometer (Remote Compass). This means that it needs to be located in magnetically benign location, away from high current wires and moving aircraft components that contain a ferrous material.

Installation Location - ADAHRS: An ADAHRS installation location should be a rigid surface within 12 feet longitudinally and 6 feet laterally of the aircraft's center-of-gravity. The figure illustrates this below. “

You need to treat it like a compass installation if it has the magnetometer built in. If a compass doesn't work well inside a steel tube fuselage then the magnetometer won't either. Magnetically benign means away from anything that is capable of being magnetic. In a small aircraft this means ferrous metals and wires carrying DC current.

Put it in the wing.

Web

Don't know if this info will help, built a CC EX-2 with full Dynon. My magnetometer is in the L wing (aft of the fuel tank away from wires and cables) to have a magnetically benign location and the ADAHRS on the avionics tray behind the panel. Seems to work well.

Both units need to be level in level flight, so ensure that when installing that units are in the level flight position.

Last edited:
Mount it on the inside of an inspection plate. Twist the ground wire around the power wire back a few feet to where your ground will be. This cancels out any magnetic flux from the power wire.

Pete, I’m not sure an inspection plate would qualify for flight level, side level, and somewhat rigid...
But wingtips work great for those that have them.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Pete, I’m not sure an inspection plate would qualify for flight level, side level, and somewhat rigid...
But wingtips work great for those that have them.
That's how it is mounted in my 185. A small bracket was made to hold it level. Has worked without any trouble for 44 years.

Back in the days before GPS, our maintenance types decided remote electric compasses should be installed in our Cubs. These were mounted well out in the wing, through a small rectangular inspection plate that was installed to facilitate installation. Really wasn’t intrusive at all, and made access easy.

MTV

Back