• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Need to remove brand new starter.. but hopefully not the prop?

daedgerton

PATRON
Arlington, VA
I just replaced my boat anchor Delco starter with a new ERZ-8012 and it looks like I got a bad starter. (It lasted one whole flight but that is another story...)

While installing the starter, went ahead and installed my new Borer. I just purchased a new Hot Rod Muffler to install at annual, due real soon...

So here is the question: I've already got a new ERZ-8012 on the way.. Can I get the old starter out and new one in if I drop the exhaust? Need to replace exhaust flange gaskets and might as well do that while installing the Hot Rod.

I'm trying to avoid taking the prop off... pardon my ignorance, it's why I come here!

I've never had to pull a prop to remove a starter. Use swivel sockets and you should be able to pull it out.

Web

Prop on and off is about as simple and easy as it gets. I have mine off at least once or twice a year. The best way to screw up a simple job is trying to cut corners. If you are going to do exhaust and starter just pull the prop and nose bowl so you can see what you are doing. I think it will be quicker in the long run.
DENNY

If you only got one flight out of a new starter you might want to proof you have the proper starter, start by counting the teeth on the ring gear.

Last edited:
So I just pulled the prop... made it way easier. Thanks to all for setting me on the correct path! Ahead of the game now for Hot Rod and airbox. See video of the issue I'm having with the starter:

The gear is not extending as it should to engage the ring gear. Have you lubed it in accordance with manufacturer's instructions?

Web

Well, you shouldn't have to, but you don't know how long it was on the shelf. Most Skytechs call for cleaning the drive end with 'oleum spirits' and lube with spray silicone. Verify this from the instructions that came with the starter. A quick clean and lube beats having to replace a mechanical defect.

Web

you don't show where you put power to it.... did you just power the motor big stud, and not use the solenoid on it(just guessing your video doesn't show full starter..)

I've never had o pull a prop to remove a starter. Use swivel sockets and you should be able to pull it out.

Web

Don’t drop anything in the water.

We changed this starter from the lycoming it came with when it broke, to an NL starter, that hit the nose bowl when we tried to start it. Had to dish out the nose bowl some. 5 months later the skytec starter quit working. One hit with the hammer and it started. Replaced it on the water with the prop and nose bowl still on.

25EB393A-4A5E-41ED-BC22-0EB50B3E5A94.jpg

Attachments

• 25EB393A-4A5E-41ED-BC22-0EB50B3E5A94.jpg
    25EB393A-4A5E-41ED-BC22-0EB50B3E5A94.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 116
Here is video of a jump pack test on a starter just as a comparison. I'm not sure if it's a fair comparison but you can see a difference in spunk between the two.

Good Luck - Jerry

Here is video of a jump pack test on a starter just as a comparison. I'm not sure if it's a fair comparison but you can see a difference in spunk between the two.

Good Luck - Jerry

That's how I did the test... I did the same thing in the airplane. Either way, it's removed and on a brown truck to Hartzell.

Back