• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Supercub with Cessna gear legs

Speedo

FOUNDER
TN
I came across this ad today for a SuperCub with Cessna gear legs. I’ve never seen one before. Does anyone here have any experience with a mod like this?

I have not flown one but have seen one with grove gear I believe. Pilot said it was 10-15 mph faster than stock gear. Has toe brakes also. Should make a great spotter plane. DENNY

don't do it had it on a cub it's heavy and broke both gear clusters fuselage is not strong enough for continued off airport ops

Thanks fellows. I’m sure I read the thread that Steve linked, but evidently forgot about it. It was useful to re-read that thread and get reacquainted with the pros and cons.

DF8AF3B3-8555-49AD-8BF4-1F706BA95CD7.jpeg

An interesting Super Cruiser seen recently at New Braunfels Texas. Could not see the method of gear attachment.

GM

Attachments

• DF8AF3B3-8555-49AD-8BF4-1F706BA95CD7.jpeg
    DF8AF3B3-8555-49AD-8BF4-1F706BA95CD7.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 215
An interesting Super Cruiser seen recently at New Braunfels Texas. Could not see the method of gear attachment.

GM
Don't confuse an -18 with a -12. The -12 has a big heavy gear truss built into the fuselage where the -18 does not. The seaplane fitting on a -12 resembles a flat spring gear. So a -12 would have better possibilities for the spring gear than an -18. I would still question the aft landing loads into the fuselage.

I came across this ad today for a SuperCub with Cessna gear legs. I’ve never seen one before. Does anyone here have any experience with a mod like this?

Interesting...ad cites leather seats, VG's, tow hook, shoulder harness, tundra tires....
but doesn't even mention the spring gear.
BTW those look like C150 gear legs (check out the steps).
IMHO a set of Grove aluminum gear would be lighter & better.

Sorry for the pic, thought relevant but guess was wrong. The 12 bungee truss is not really that big or that heavy. Certainly not enough to significantly add to the structure required to hold individual spring steel gear legs.

GM

stand correted just talked with the ai who installed the cessna gear on my cub it was 175 gear regardless you will start breaking stuff

For curiosity's sake do you have any pictures of how the gear bolted in? I can't imagine how a Cessna gear box scheme could be adapted to a Cub. All that stress gets concentrated into a very small structure. There's a reason our gear boxes get thoroughly inspected every year. Acme and TK shocks are the envy of Cessna owners. If only.....

I remember a ski landing in my 180 many years ago (Chris was riding shotgun) where drifts were rock hard and steep faced, and invisible in flat light conditions. And I landed right into them. From the pilot seat sitting normally I got a look at my right ski through the passenger window as the gear took a big hit. Cessna gear takes a beating but the gear boxes get tortured. No way would I want Cessna gear on a Cub. Grove gear? That would be easier on the airframe but I'd still rather have Cub gear. I've never bought into the notion that Cessna gear bounces but if it did? It'd do it well on a Cub. Some late model Cessnas switched to tube gear. My Hawk XP had it. It's supposed to be tougher than spring gear but the way it moves wouldn't suit a tail dragger very well.

.... Cessna gear takes a beating but the gear boxes get tortured. No way would I want Cessna gear on a Cub. Grove gear? That would be easier on the airframe but I'd still rather have Cub gear. .....

Putting Grove aluminum spring gear onto a Kitfox or Avid with bungee gear was kinda popular a few years ago.
A guy with an Avid at my airport did it.
The gear was one-piece-- it spanned the bottom of the airplane & went down to the wheels on each side.
So no gearboxes...just clamps.

Putting Grove aluminum spring gear onto a Kitfox or Avid with bungee gear was kinda popular a few years ago.
A guy with an Avid at my airport did it.
The gear was one-piece-- it spanned the bottom of the airplane & went down to the wheels on each side.
So no gearboxes...just clamps.
That still would require adequate structure in the fuselage to absorb the loads.

... Some late model Cessnas switched to tube gear. My Hawk XP had it. It's supposed to be tougher than spring gear but the way it moves wouldn't suit a tail dragger very well.

Some C150 taildraggers use the stock tubular gear.
They often have handling issues, as the tubular gear has no provision for adjusting the toe-in.
The leaf spring gear allows for tapered shims between the gear leg & the axle.
Ted Setzer was part of the design & manufacturing team for the GlasStar.
The one he built is very recognizable as the tail is shaped just like a C180's.
He built & installed Cub-type bungee gear on it a few years ago, dunno if he's still running that gear or not.
Standard GlasStar gear is tubular steel, like the later model Cessnas.
I believe that a lot of builders try to stiffen them up, by installing stiffener / fairings,
so it will only deflect in one axis, like leaf spring gear, instead of every-which-way.
I don't know how successful they are with that.
I'm kind of surprised that the factory doesn't offer some sort of option for running Grove spring gear--
that would seem to be a pretty good way to go.
I've never seen anyone do their own either.

The recent kit versions of the bird I fly have gone to flat spring gear. No thanks, I get the speed increase/less drag issue, but the best mod I've ever done to my Rans S-7S has been the SC style gear. 1 1/2" axles on a 760 pound plane, it's pretty much bulletproof, and I like and use the side loading capability. If I ever get a "need for speed" though, I'd switch it over in a heartbeat, and also put on small tires, but what fun is that?

Back