Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Supercub with Cessna gear legs

Post Thanks / Like

Supercub with Cessna gear legs

I came across this ad today for a SuperCub with Cessna gear legs. Iíve never seen one before. Does anyone here have any experience with a mod like this?
    Speedo

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not flown one but have seen one with grove gear I believe. Pilot said it was 10-15 mph faster than stock gear. Has toe brakes also. Should make a great spotter plane. DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    don't do it had it on a cub it's heavy and broke both gear clusters fuselage is not strong enough for continued off airport ops

Post Thanks / Like
    Flew and worked on that airplane several years ago. Worked for the guy selling it's Dad right out of A&P school. Here is an old thread with pictures. I think Schneider out of MCS Mike's world owns the STC. https://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...teel-gear-legs
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Flew and worked on that airplane several years ago. Worked for the guy selling it's Dad right out of A&P school. Here is an old thread with pictures. I think Schneider out of MCS Mike's world owns the STC. https://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...teel-gear-legs
    I donít think he ever got the STC.... I could be wrong...

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
    I came across this ad today for a SuperCub with Cessna gear legs. Iíve never seen one before. Does anyone here have any experience with a mod like this?
    Thatís a different attachment method than snider used, his has a spring steel bolt on mount from both clusters on each side, with aluminum gear

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks fellows. I’m sure I read the thread that Steve linked, but evidently forgot about it. It was useful to re-read that thread and get reacquainted with the pros and cons.
    Speedo
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DF8AF3B3-8555-49AD-8BF4-1F706BA95CD7.jpeg 
Views:	85 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	53736

An interesting Super Cruiser seen recently at New Braunfels Texas. Could not see the method of gear attachment.

GM

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rv8drvr View Post
    An interesting Super Cruiser seen recently at New Braunfels Texas. Could not see the method of gear attachment.

GM
    Don't confuse an -18 with a -12. The -12 has a big heavy gear truss built into the fuselage where the -18 does not. The seaplane fitting on a -12 resembles a flat spring gear. So a -12 would have better possibilities for the spring gear than an -18. I would still question the aft landing loads into the fuselage.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
    I came across this ad today for a SuperCub with Cessna gear legs. I’ve never seen one before. Does anyone here have any experience with a mod like this?
    Interesting...ad cites leather seats, VG's, tow hook, shoulder harness, tundra tires....
    but doesn't even mention the spring gear.
    BTW those look like C150 gear legs (check out the steps).
    IMHO a set of Grove aluminum gear would be lighter & better.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the pic, thought relevant but guess was wrong. The 12 bungee truss is not really that big or that heavy. Certainly not enough to significantly add to the structure required to hold individual spring steel gear legs.

GM

Post Thanks / Like
    Cessna 140 gear legs are 31 pounds ea. without axles. I have a pair in my shop.
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The STC on that airplane called out 172 hear if memory serves me correctly.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    i've got a set of cessna 170 spring gear had it on a cub took it off yours cheap

Post Thanks / Like
    stand correted just talked with the ai who installed the cessna gear on my cub it was 175 gear regardless you will start breaking stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    For curiosity's sake do you have any pictures of how the gear bolted in? I can't imagine how a Cessna gear box scheme could be adapted to a Cub. All that stress gets concentrated into a very small structure. There's a reason our gear boxes get thoroughly inspected every year. Acme and TK shocks are the envy of Cessna owners. If only.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Pictures of the structure in the link I posted.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember a ski landing in my 180 many years ago (Chris was riding shotgun) where drifts were rock hard and steep faced, and invisible in flat light conditions. And I landed right into them. From the pilot seat sitting normally I got a look at my right ski through the passenger window as the gear took a big hit. Cessna gear takes a beating but the gear boxes get tortured. No way would I want Cessna gear on a Cub. Grove gear? That would be easier on the airframe but I'd still rather have Cub gear. I've never bought into the notion that Cessna gear bounces but if it did? It'd do it well on a Cub. Some late model Cessnas switched to tube gear. My Hawk XP had it. It's supposed to be tougher than spring gear but the way it moves wouldn't suit a tail dragger very well.

Post Thanks / Like
    there was a stc for it if you want to pursue it but i' m

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sixmile View Post
    there was a stc for it if you want to pursue it but i' m
    Cessna gear on a Cub? Do you have the STC number or any other info?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    .... Cessna gear takes a beating but the gear boxes get tortured. No way would I want Cessna gear on a Cub. Grove gear? That would be easier on the airframe but I'd still rather have Cub gear. .....
    Putting Grove aluminum spring gear onto a Kitfox or Avid with bungee gear was kinda popular a few years ago.
    A guy with an Avid at my airport did it.
    The gear was one-piece-- it spanned the bottom of the airplane & went down to the wheels on each side.
    So no gearboxes...just clamps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod180 View Post
    Putting Grove aluminum spring gear onto a Kitfox or Avid with bungee gear was kinda popular a few years ago.
    A guy with an Avid at my airport did it.
    The gear was one-piece-- it spanned the bottom of the airplane & went down to the wheels on each side.
    So no gearboxes...just clamps.
    That still would require adequate structure in the fuselage to absorb the loads.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    ... Some late model Cessnas switched to tube gear. My Hawk XP had it. It's supposed to be tougher than spring gear but the way it moves wouldn't suit a tail dragger very well.
    Some C150 taildraggers use the stock tubular gear.
    They often have handling issues, as the tubular gear has no provision for adjusting the toe-in.
    The leaf spring gear allows for tapered shims between the gear leg & the axle.
    Ted Setzer was part of the design & manufacturing team for the GlasStar.
    The one he built is very recognizable as the tail is shaped just like a C180's.
    He built & installed Cub-type bungee gear on it a few years ago, dunno if he's still running that gear or not.
    Standard GlasStar gear is tubular steel, like the later model Cessnas.
    I believe that a lot of builders try to stiffen them up, by installing stiffener / fairings,
    so it will only deflect in one axis, like leaf spring gear, instead of every-which-way.
    I don't know how successful they are with that.
    I'm kind of surprised that the factory doesn't offer some sort of option for running Grove spring gear--
    that would seem to be a pretty good way to go.
    I've never seen anyone do their own either.

Post Thanks / Like
    The recent kit versions of the bird I fly have gone to flat spring gear. No thanks, I get the speed increase/less drag issue, but the best mod I've ever done to my Rans S-7S has been the SC style gear. 1 1/2" axles on a 760 pound plane, it's pretty much bulletproof, and I like and use the side loading capability. If I ever get a "need for speed" though, I'd switch it over in a heartbeat, and also put on small tires, but what fun is that?