• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

World's fastest RC aircraft hits a stunning 548 mph

That is nothing short of ‘unbelievable’!! I spent the better part of the video trying to spot the glider. I can’t guess the skill needed to fly it let alone see it. Thanks for the post.

Amazing, just imagine the aerodynamic forces acting on the airframe at those speeds. It's a wonder it stayed together with no flutter.

This just taught me something about mountain flying.

Going into Denver (for instance) from the west. There I am, at 13,500 with a nice 30 kt tailwind, loving life, and then it is time to descend. Down I go into the shear layer. Suddenly my airspeed goes up 30 kts. and I'm in the shear layer turbulence to boot. Previously I knew to slow down first, but of course it takes some work to slow down and go down at the same time. My new plan is to go beyond my destination by a few miles, and then do a 180, and descend without even slowing down, knowing I am now going 60 kts slower relative to the air in the shear layer, and I'll need the airspeed.

Cool!

John

Back