• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cargo Net

MEM-PA12

Hi folks - I was informed this morning that Safari Straps is closing permanently due to COVID. I know many have used them to make custom cargo nets in the past.

Does anyone know of another company that could create a custom cargo net for my PA-12 with an extended lower?

Thanks!
Jim

Depending on your requirements, it not difficult to make your own.
Most hardware stores carry nylon webbing and fasteners.

Measure, lay it out with a dab of hot glue at intersections to preserve layout, then go over everything with a sewing machine. And install.

8B2091AA-5F49-49E6-898F-783DF4C55F95.jpg6C54B949-EB32-4E50-AF30-73F154CE76B2.jpg3DD42DEE-182E-4853-8FF9-8E507F1A404B.jpg

Attachments

• 8B2091AA-5F49-49E6-898F-783DF4C55F95.jpg
    8B2091AA-5F49-49E6-898F-783DF4C55F95.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 211
  • 6C54B949-EB32-4E50-AF30-73F154CE76B2.jpg
    6C54B949-EB32-4E50-AF30-73F154CE76B2.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 233
  • 3DD42DEE-182E-4853-8FF9-8E507F1A404B.jpg
    3DD42DEE-182E-4853-8FF9-8E507F1A404B.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 216
Yep, I read this post earlier this week in the Cessna forum....I am on the lookout for an industrial sewing machine. This is another reason why I should have bought one of those long ago.

Yep, I read this post earlier this week in the Cessna forum....I am on the lookout for an industrial sewing machine. This is another reason why I should have bought one of those long ago.

I have one(I got for free) they are cranky things, they don’t appreciate only being used every few years.... I spend HOURS getting it to behave, to then only sew for 2 minutes......

Better to pay to have it done...

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Last edited:

I'm guessing that you are in Memphis. I've got on in my hangar, been sitting there a couple of years.

Amazon has a lot of cargo nets. Look under cargo net SUV, ect. Does not have a burn cert but my neither does my shirt.
DENNY

I'm guessing that you are in Memphis. I've got on in my hangar, been sitting there a couple of years.

Yes sir, I’m located in Memphis. I think this thing is going to be a custom job just because of where I put the clamps on the reverse dogleg.

67D623B5-577A-40BA-A274-AFA1C3832DF8.jpg

Attachments

• 67D623B5-577A-40BA-A274-AFA1C3832DF8.jpg
    67D623B5-577A-40BA-A274-AFA1C3832DF8.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 218
Amazon has a lot of cargo nets. Look under cargo net SUV, ect. Does not have a burn cert but my neither does my shirt.
DENNY

Thanks - I actually tried one and it just didn’t work...again, due to where the attach points are.

that's not very useful locations....

you need something on the lower left side(in relation to how this picture was taken...)

anyway, most cargo nets go just behind rear seat, to rear spar carry through, down to floor at base of rear seat........

My idea was just to keep cargo from sliding back into the aft extended baggage area if I place something behind the seat, that’s all. I copied this from a couple of other PA-12’s I have seen being restored. With the aluminum floor already installed, I think it’d be difficult to try and come up mounting attach points. That was what I was originally looking at...the Atlee plates...just couldn’t figure out how to securely attach them enough...plus I am down here in the south. We don’t have much back country down this way that I’d need to even have something more robust.

Not unlike the canvas curtain in my Cub. It keeps survival stuff partitioned off so it can't slide forward. Forward of that we put in floor anchors (Mike's custom made) for Ancra quick release rings. I made the mistake of leaving out floor plates in the -12. Lesson learned. Cargo sliding aft is a dangerous thing. The drop nets behind the pilot seat have a different purpose, also important.

Attachments

• F1651568-13AB-447D-97C5-D9114C70FB11.jpg
    F1651568-13AB-447D-97C5-D9114C70FB11.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 186
  • E297E1B5-50DC-4D4A-9F2D-3FC49243D0E3.jpeg
    E297E1B5-50DC-4D4A-9F2D-3FC49243D0E3.jpeg
    393.4 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Yes, I didn’t construct the interior on this plane but if I did I would certainly have put in the Ancra quick release plates. That canvas is nice, I really hadn’t thought about doing a leather or canvas cover but that would work too I suppose.

My idea was just to keep cargo from sliding back into the aft extended baggage area if I place something behind the seat, that’s all. I copied this from a couple of other PA-12’s I have seen being restored. With the aluminum floor already installed, I think it’d be difficult to try and come up mounting attach points. That was what I was originally looking at...the Atlee plates...just couldn’t figure out how to securely attach them enough...plus I am down here in the south. We don’t have much back country down this way that I’d need to even have something more robust.

Sorry, saw that lower left one after posting... and deleted post.

But yes keeping things like moose from sliding back on takeoff is important. Rescued planes off of lower sides of mountains after such events removed landing gear. Luckily there were suitable takeoff locations lower, since pushing the the plane back to the top wasn’t a option....

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Hi folks - I was informed this morning that Safari Straps is closing permanently due to COVID. I know many have used them to make custom cargo nets in the past. ...

That's a bummer. I bought a cargo net from them a few years ago--
they have an amazing variety of sizes available, for very reasonable prices.

It seems strange that they would be shutting down due to covid,
that doesn't seem to me like a business that would be severely impacted--
at least not nearly as much as something like a restaurant.
There doesn't seem to be anything on their website or FB page about shutting down.

I’ve sewed nylon web with on a regular Singer household machine with no problem.

That's a bummer. I bought a cargo net from them a few years ago--
they have an amazing variety of sizes available, for very reasonable prices.

It seems strange that they would be shutting down due to covid,
that doesn't seem to me like a business that would be severely impacted--
at least not nearly as much as something like a restaurant.
There doesn't seem to be anything on their website or FB page about shutting down.

Yes, this came via email yesterday:
”I regret to inform you that at this time, we are shutting down Safari Straps. With all the events taking place in the past 10 months, we can no longer stay in business.
Thank you for your inquiry and wish you all the best. Maral”

I hate to see any business have to close.

If you decide to make your own see Strapworks.com. They have an assortment of heavy duty metal fasteners to go with the webbing. I am happy with what I got from them.

Back