Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Props for PA18A 150

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Props for PA18A 150

    I just measured my prop from tip to tip and it is 84". I have a 19" clearance to the pavement when the plane is sitting on the tail wheel. The climb performance is great and cruise at 22.5 is 95mph. Is this a standard size prop for a super cub? I was also wondering what my clearance might be when I do wheel landings. Any thoughts or advice.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201021_191021.jpeg 
Views:	161 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	53667

    Sent from my SM-T560NU using SuperCub.Org mobile app

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canyon, tx
    Posts
    708
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you sure it’s not an 82-43/44 borer?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is Greek to me. Is that a standard type of prop for this plane?

    Sent from my SM-T560NU using SuperCub.Org mobile app

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Wolf Lake, AK
    Posts
    5,907
    Post Thanks / Like
    What do your logs say?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canyon, tx
    Posts
    708
    Post Thanks / Like
    Or take your spinner off and see what the hub says.

  6. #6
    mvivion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bozeman,MT
    Posts
    11,332
    Post Thanks / Like
    What these guys ^^^ said.

    IF that is indeed an 84 inch prop, it’s not legal, unless someone found that long a prop and got it field approved.

    Much more likely, that is an 82 inch diameter “Borer” prop. The prop designation is diameter first (82) then the prop pitch (for a Borer it’s typically somewhere between 41 and 44, and represents theoretically the forward distance the prop would pull itself through the air or some dense medium IF there was no drag or other factors involved, a theoretical measure).

    As Kevin suggested, pull the spinner off and look at the side of the prop hub....it should have the designation stamped there.

    MTV

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I can understand that. I have come a long way but have much further to go. Thanks again.

    Sent from my SM-T560NU using SuperCub.Org mobile app

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    831
    Post Thanks / Like
    The “standard” Supercub prop is a Sensenich M74DM-53 to 58. You have a McCauley prop, most likely a Borer prop as others have said. There would need to be an FAA Form 337 in your paperwork for that to be legal. If you are not aware of your responsibilities as an aircraft owner as it relates to required documentation, I would strongly suggest you get ahold of your mechanic and pay him for a couple hours training!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Likes DENNY liked this post

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Wolf Lake, AK
    Posts
    5,907
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he doesn't have required documentation he should call his mechanic and fire him.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Clearwater,Fl
    Posts
    2,564
    Post Thanks / Like
    Locate the STC for the propeller. Read it and be sure the aircraft records and equipment comply. STC SA00562SE can be bought from cub crafters.

    http://store.cubcrafters.com/McCaule...ly_p_1860.html

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    N. california
    Posts
    124
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like an inaccurate measurement.
    get that spinner out of the way, check model designation on prop. Verify in records. And report back!

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    69
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just pre-ordered the Sensenich ground adjustable prop. I can’t wait to try it out! There may be quite a few used Borer props on the market if they really are as advertised.
    Likes OLDCROWE, akavidflyer liked this post

  13. #13
    akavidflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Soldotna AK
    Posts
    161
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by md11freighter View Post
    I just pre-ordered the Sensenich ground adjustable prop. I can’t wait to try it out! There may be quite a few used Borer props on the market if they really are as advertised.
    They really are. I think the 2 big ones, WW and Sensinich are really close in performance, but the Sensenich wins hands down for ease of pitch changes.

    FWIW, the pitch pins that come with it are in 2" increments. My 160 doesn't like anything over 38 (that's only if I want to go faster but not get off the ground quick). I took the 40 size pin and turned it down to 35 and that really seems to be the sweet spot for the 150/160 HP engines. Still faster in cruise than the 82/44 borer but gets me off the ground MUCH quicker. We have tested it on A LOT of different planes now and ALL have shown a major improvement over the Borer prop (not to mention its 12 pounds lighter and the throttle response is instantaneous)!
    When playing with the prop, CHECK YOUR TACH!!! None of the mechanical tachs we have tested were even close. Typically they have been 150-225 RPM off on the top end so the guys that thought they were turning 2700 on take off (like me) were only getting 2475-2550. I was really wondering why I was cruising so slow at 2450 (turns out I was only turning 2250). Optical tachs are cheap and my new digital tach reads within a few RPM of the optical tach now.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    ND
    Posts
    166
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    The “standard” Supercub prop is a Sensenich M74DM-53 to 58. You have a McCauley prop, most likely a Borer prop as others have said. There would need to be an FAA Form 337 in your paperwork for that to be legal. If you are not aware of your responsibilities as an aircraft owner as it relates to required documentation, I would strongly suggest you get ahold of your mechanic and pay him for a couple hours training!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    not saying it is right, but I have seen an exception to this rule. A reissue of an airworthiness certificate while non standard prop is already installed.
    Likes DENNY, dgapilot liked this post

  15. #15

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    831
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MoJo View Post
    not saying it is right, but I have seen an exception to this rule. A reissue of an airworthiness certificate while non standard prop is already installed.
    Yeah, I’ve done that where an airplane comes back from Canada or another bilateral country, and their CAA approved the other prop. That’s about the only way, and if that’s what you hang your hat on, you better keep a copy of the 8130-6 application for airworthiness certificate with the DARs signature. That’s your only document authorizing it. If it doesn’t have an approval from another CAA, then no joy! DARs have to conform the airplane to the TC or other approved data.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Fowler, Ks
    Posts
    618
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by akavidflyer View Post
    They really are. I think the 2 big ones, WW and Sensinich are really close in performance, but the Sensenich wins hands down for ease of pitch changes.

    FWIW, the pitch pins that come with it are in 2" increments. My 160 doesn't like anything over 38 (that's only if I want to go faster but not get off the ground quick). I took the 40 size pin and turned it down to 35 and that really seems to be the sweet spot for the 150/160 HP engines. Still faster in cruise than the 82/44 borer but gets me off the ground MUCH quicker. We have tested it on A LOT of different planes now and ALL have shown a major improvement over the Borer prop (not to mention its 12 pounds lighter and the throttle response is instantaneous)!
    When playing with the prop, CHECK YOUR TACH!!! None of the mechanical tachs we have tested were even close. Typically they have been 150-225 RPM off on the top end so the guys that thought they were turning 2700 on take off (like me) were only getting 2475-2550. I was really wondering why I was cruising so slow at 2450 (turns out I was only turning 2250). Optical tachs are cheap and my new digital tach reads within a few RPM of the optical tach now.
    I would like to see numbers comparing the borer 82/41 ..150 horse to Sensenich. Ground roll etc

    I ran a McCatto on a 0-290 and loved the ‘lighter’ and of course the performance but with my 0-320 I would like ‘legal’ also.


    Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Likes jrussl liked this post

  17. #17
    hotrod180's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Townsend, WA
    Posts
    3,412
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's been several days but the OP hasn't posted the model number of his prop yet. ??
    I believe that there's an 84" borer available for the 180hp SC,
    guess it could be installed on a 320 but you'd need different drive lugs on the flange?
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

  18. #18
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    20,510
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 84" McCauley that I have been around is the 1A200 on the Pawnee.
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Fargo
    Posts
    759
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    The 84" McCauley that I have been around is the 1A200 on the Pawnee.
    Pawnee prop is 1A235

  20. #20
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    20,510
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PA-22/20-160 View Post
    Pawnee prop is 1A235
    That's it, only 84" I have been around.
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canyon, tx
    Posts
    708
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it is 84”, I’ll trade you for a legal 82”. I suspect it was measured with a faulty measuring apparatus. I have two of them. One of them is used to measure TO and landing distance. It says I’m 20’ shorter. I also have one to measure height and length. It measures 2” longer
    Last edited by KevinJ; 01-27-2021 at 09:39 AM.
    Likes flynlow, RaisedByWolves liked this post

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all of the great responses. I hope to have a chance to get to the hanger this weekend and I will do more investigating and figure out exactly what I have. Thanks and in will post the results.


    Sent from my SM-T560NU using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Thanks Brandsman thanked for this post

Similar Threads

  1. PA18A Differences?
    By NoCubYet in forum Cafe Supercub
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-27-2020, 10:31 PM
  2. STC for 8.50 x 6 for PA18A
    By jsbc in forum Member to Member
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-03-2018, 10:27 AM
  3. PA18A info
    By portfield in forum Cafe Supercub
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-02-2014, 12:54 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •