Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Insurance changes

  1. #1
    mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    chugiak AK
    Posts
    11,773
    Post Thanks / Like

    Insurance changes


  2. #2
    Cub Builder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North Central AR
    Posts
    702
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like an inadvertent advertisement for AVEMCO. The others just had excuses and conjecture. Granted they are brokers, not underwriters like AVEMCO. FWIW, in my lower 60s, AIG priced themselves out of my business, so both of my planes are now liability only with AVEMCO.
    Thanks Bowie thanked for this post
    Likes mike mcs repair, bob turner liked this post

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    Posts
    258
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub Builder View Post
    Seems like an inadvertent advertisement for AVEMCO.
    I saw the linked video before my FX-3 insurance was due for renewal. I contacted AVEMCO and they declined to quote for hull risk. They refused to say why and just said "underwriting policy". I renewed with STARR which was the only company I could get to quote before I took delivery. (I'm over 70 with about 6,000 hours and about 700 tail wheel airplane. No airplane insurance losses).
    Likes 1246m liked this post

  4. #4
    Utah-Jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Heber City, UT
    Posts
    341
    Post Thanks / Like
    Car, health, home… in MY opinion all insurance is legalized extortion

    Have a home mortgage, gotta have insurance
    Have a car, gotta have insurance
    Bearhawk Companion QB Builder
    Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
    https://www.instagram.com/jay_townsend_utah/
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA
    Likes GreggB, supercrow liked this post

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    7,593
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not really. It is spreading the cost of injury to a few folks over a very wide group. We could do the same thing by eliminating tort litigation and having the taxpayers pick up the tab for those injured souls (including property damage). But the current system is seen as making folks slightly more careful when operating machinery around others.

    Hull is a different story - nobody is forced to buy hull. I am willing to bet that tailwheel hull is going through the roof because of these new quarter-million dollar Cubs playing big props and long rocks.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    Posts
    258
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bob turner View Post
    . I am willing to bet that tailwheel hull is going through the roof because of these new quarter-million dollar Cubs playing big props and long rocks.
    A review of FX-3 accidents (and presumably insurance losses) will show that none fall into that category. They are almost all loss of control accidents on big paved runways. Most seem to involve pilots with low time in type and low tail wheel time.
    Last edited by frequent_flyer; 07-29-2021 at 02:10 PM.
    Likes Steve Pierce liked this post

  7. #7
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    21,167
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frequent_flyer View Post
    A review of FX-3 accidents (and presumably insurance losses) will show that none fall into that category. They are almost all loss of control accidents on big paved runways. Most seem to involve pilots with low time in type and low tail wheel time.
    Yep, just swapped a wing on an FX3, $40K repair. My labor was a very, very small percentage of the ticket. Key is going to be availability of repair parts and a network of qualified shops to do the work tour Crafters standards.
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

  8. #8
    RaisedByWolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bob turner View Post
    Not really. It is spreading the cost of injury to a few folks over a very wide group. We could do the same thing by eliminating tort litigation and having the taxpayers pick up the tab for those injured souls (including property damage). But the current system is seen as making folks slightly more careful when operating machinery around others.

    Hull is a different story - nobody is forced to buy hull. I am willing to bet that tailwheel hull is going through the roof because of these new quarter-million dollar Cubs playing big props and long rocks.
    You think tailwheel is bad, look at anfib. It more than doubled for me in a year, and they don’t give you a rate for when your on floats. It’s an anfib rate all year. Tried avemco and they said the registered owner name sounds like a commercial operation and we don’t cover that. Bwi quoted me $2600 less than my current insurance. I started shopping around when they said insurance was $6500 for floats.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    7,593
    Post Thanks / Like
    We ran into that. $7500 for a Cub on Wips, no open pilot warranty. Just to get me "named" would have been an additional $800.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Fowler, Ks
    Posts
    665
    Post Thanks / Like
    My $65k cub is $1284
    The $100k RV8 is $1294.
    My odometer will be rolling to 73 this Oct…most likely..
    My rate is a bit lower yhan last year




    Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-14-2021, 11:23 AM
  2. Insurance
    By brown bear in forum Member to Member
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 11-25-2009, 10:32 PM
  3. Insurance
    By Altsel in forum Cafe Supercub
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-10-2009, 10:37 PM
  4. Insurance
    By Chris Floyd in forum Cafe Supercub
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-13-2005, 07:58 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •