• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Considering putting floats on my PA18-150

There are bolt-on rear fittings, not really pretty, but they work.
Cubcrafters and others sell them.

What fabric system do you have?.....pretty easy to patch most if you don't want clamp on fittings....It's not much welding put Atlee Dodge fittings on.
100_2962.JPG

Attachments

• 100_2962.JPG
    100_2962.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 206
The clamp on fittings are simple and a no brainer. I wouldnt go to the time and effort to weld on fittings.

But either way is not that big a deal. You’ll also have to cut a couple slits aft for clamps for pulleys. Again no big deal.

MTV

As I recall, it took me a couple days from start to finish to put floats on my cub the first go around, including bolt on fittings. I did most of the work myself, with a mechanic that would come over to laugh at me when I got stuck or needed help.

Bolt on is pretty simple, and if you put up an advertisement you will find a set used I bet. Also, Eddie Peck might have some, or Sutton Air Salvage in Palmer would be a good place to ask.

They really are not that big of a deal, but some folks say they can over time cause your longhorns to imprint or dent where the u-bolts ride. Weld on fittings have a habit of trapping water and causing corrosion. No free lunch.

The clamp on float fittings are part of the set of floats when they come from the manufacturer. They are also dependent on which make and model floats you are using. It is not a big deal to install the clamp on fittings. Usually some interior just needs to be moved out of the way to get your hand and tools in there.

Regardless of how you mount them....flying floats is about the most fun you can have in an airplane!

Note in parts on this website. I have a set of 2100A's for sale. They will be removed in February. Inside stored in northern WI.

It sounds like clamp-on fittings are the way to go, at least until I decided to refabric the plane some day. Thanks for the responses.

It sounds like clamp-on fittings are the way to go, at least until I decided to refabric the plane some day. Thanks for the responses.
Mark,
I can’t figure out how to respond to your private message. The floats are anphibs. They come with all fittings, gear advisory system, struts, etc. They are in excellent condition and have been hangared when not in use. Also they are fresh water use only. I am asking 40k as removed. If you pm your phone number I can send some pics.
Jon

Jon, I just sent you my phone number and email via private messaging. I have some questions for you about the floats, and in general putting floats on a PA-18-150 with MGW = 1750LBS.

Jon, I just sent you my phone number and email via private messaging. I have some questions for you about the floats, and in general putting floats on a PA-18-150 with MGW = 1750LBS.

Simple answer to that last question: Don’t, this is specifically why Wipaire spent a LOT of money and time developing their 2000 pound gross weight kit. Amphibs could work IF you want to also install the 2000 pound kit. Otherwise, you’re likely looking at a single seat airplane on amphibs.

MTV

I agree. Without it, its a single man aircraft with about 9 gallons max of fuel on board based on my weight.

Whoa, did you use bathroom scales? Just kidding as that weight is amazing for an amphib! Good on ya!
I started with a cub under 1000, and came away with just over 1400 on Wips. Thought those EDO’s were a little heavier.....

He has me beat by 75 pounds. I’m 1325 empty on Wip 2100A’s with no electric retract pump. Just manual.
Awesome job Tom.

Bill

349 edo 339-JHS. Wouldn’t have mattered if I did the wip GW, it’s not mentioned on these floats. They give you a whopping 10lb increase in gross

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All 150 hp Super Cubs increase GW to 1760 when installed on floats.

MTV

1070 on 31’s. There is no electric power pack. Kind of sucks with 150 pumps to get the gear to move. Takes 2 min. At least you’ll always know where the gear is by how tired your arm is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The clamp on float fittings are part of the set of floats when they come from the manufacturer. They are also dependent on which make and model floats you are using. It is not a big deal to install the clamp on fittings. Usually some interior just needs to be moved out of the way to get your hand and tools in there.

I'm just curious are there any other new manufacturers providing clamp on fittings? I had to scrounge big time to find a used set for my edo's....the price Kenmore quoted at the time was insane.

I'm just curious are there any other new manufacturers providing clamp on fittings? I had to scrounge big time to find a used set for my edo's....the price Kenmore quoted at the time was insane.
Why didn't the person who sold you the floats give you the fittings which belonged to them? Those fittings belong to the floats, not the airplane.

Back