• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Supercup type build

sid79

SE TN
i recently purchased a fuselage and some other parts, and i will start the build, very very slowly.

i didn't plan to build a supercub, i had actually started on a Zenith 701, finished the tail feathers, and got ready to order the kit for the fuselage, but then i found this fuselage and decided to put the zenith on hold, i mean the zenith is a pretty ugly duck, and these supercubs are sexy :wink: plus i wasn't far into the zenith so that made the decision easy.

the frame has some modifications and was build by a guy who had build a few of the fuselages and even finished some ( more info on that at a later timeframe)

anyway, now I'm working on figuring out what's standard and what's not, some of it is obvious like the doors for instance and some is not.

as far as the plan goes, i don't worry about engine, or wings, that is quite a bit of time and money out until i have to worry about things like that.

I'm off to continue research, got a lot to learn about these planes, and then will post some pictures later

location is Tennessee btw

just wondering if youve ever flown in a 701, i havent and have always wanted to ride in one, so i cant say a word negative about them, so i guess just wondering why the switch, i think a wilga is cool looking.

yes, i did fly in one, it was a very nice build one with 130HP, the 701 is a good performer, and i also have noting negative to say about them except that they aren't exactly sexy airplanes.

as for additional reasons, i got a good price on the fuselage and it will give me a head start compared to the 701, basically i might be a year ahead :)

Welcome
You will find a lot of great info on this site. Where are you located? One thing to think about early is what is the mission for the plane? A stock supercub can do a lot of different jobs. Having the right mods make it even better depending on the mission. Things to think about at the start are how much do you plan to carry, how much fuel will you need (length of trips), will you need high HP, off runway opps? IFR? if you have a simple tablet you can start pages for different parts of the plane, when you see a good ideal just note it on the page, after a few weeks you will have an ideal of what you do and don't want, how it interacts with the rest of the plane. So tell us what your mission will be.
DENNY

im in SE Tennessee
mission: as good as (financially) possible STOL capabilities so i can fly from my property and play with the other STOL kids in my area :) so this is a toy that doesnt need to do any work.

lets try to post some pictures :)

so we got 2 full doors, ready to figure out the door latches and cover with plexiglass :
IMG_20210118_145407747.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210118_145407747.jpg
    IMG_20210118_145407747.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 133
I rode in a 701 and enjoyed the airplane. Yes, nothing in style points for appearance but it makes up by being slow! It was my only time flying behind a 912 Rotax and it made me want one. The feature I liked the most was with the center stick and swing up doors. That made getting in and out easy for my old arthritic bones. They are really STOL too. You can't see how ugly they are from the cockpit.

Last edited:
looking forward to this build! as others said whats your mission for the cub ? I only have 4 hrs in a 701 but it was a nice flying plane, has 2 speeds, slow and very slow ! I would like own one with a yamaha powering it.

Back