• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Question about additional horizontal fin

The Cub I saw used belonged to Gene Zerkel at AK Aircraft Sales. I hung around there a fair bit and was curious why there were hundreds of pieces of yarn taped to the Cub and why they were swapping tires. I spoke with Mr. Nixon a few times about the flights. I don’t recall VGs being part of the tests. I recall they chose it because it conformed to the type certificate with no mods. It was all about tires, and his conclusion was that while big tires affected CG, they did not cause moose stalls. It seemed to me that the tundra tire worksheet came out after that, but I don’t know if it was the result of those test flights.

I’ll have to check, but as I recall, he flew two or three Cubs, one of which had VG kit. yes, problem was finding an unmolested Cub in Alaska. And, yes, the purpose was to document that tires weren’t causing Cubs to fall out of the sky.

MTV

I had to go look up the report from Penny Nixon. I'd forgotten, he did at least two flight test projects, one regarding tires, the other regarding operating Super Cubs at a maximum gross weight of 2050. At the time, DOI SCs were being operated (as Public Aircraft) at an increased maximum gross weight equal to the PA-18 Restricted category agricultural GW of 2050. That flight test was the one in which one of the aircraft tested was equipped with a BLR VG kit, including the tail strakes.

Here's a copy of the pertinent paragraph regarding that kit: SC GW cite.jpg

Note that he was NOT comparing the BLR (now owned by Cub Crafters) to any other VG kit, he was simply noting what that kit does.

These airplanes were all on floats, and operated at high gross weights during these tests. And, FYI, this test report was dated 1996.

MTV

Attachments

• SC GW cite.jpg
    SC GW cite.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 144
I maintain and have flown that PA12. It has Charlie's tail strut and over sized tail feathers. I takes almost two hands to flare it.

Flight testing the Sensenich ground adjustable prop right now. Have a 160 hp Super Cub and a 150 hp that the only mods are VGs and 8.50 tires.

I just bought the plane that the OP pictured at the beginning of this post. It was flipped over. I got it from the insurance auction. Damage doesn't look too bad. Should have it back flying in a couple months if I don't run into any parts shortages.

I just bought the plane that the OP pictured at the beginning of this post. It was flipped over. I got it from the insurance auction. Damage doesn't look too bad. Should have it back flying in a couple months if I don't run into any parts shortages.

Wow! I later met the previous owner. He would fly to KLWS from Oregon for the local EAA coffee meeting.

I’m glad it’s going to get back in the air.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Back