• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Zoleo

I didn't see it, but do they offer any sort of a "tracking" feature? I checked the knowledgebase, and found no mention of either "tracking" or "breadcrumbs".

To me, that would be a non-starter...

I am in the early stages of comparing models for this summer’s trips to Idaho. I am sure all have reliable tracking and SOS as they use a pretty similar GPS/Satellite system if not the same one as different cellular companies use for cell towers. My thing is this subscription, who has the best package. The actual apparatus is not the expensive part of the purchase, it is the service contract that is a continuing cost.

I will look for the best plan, so has anyone done the work already on comparing plans between the competing companies?

Not sure what capabilities you want but if you want reliable, simple and no subscription fee, I'd recommend the ACR ResQLink Personal Beacon. You buy it, stash it and forget about it until you need it. Then just extend the antenna and hit the power button, activates on SARSAT network (same as military uses - different than the Iridium network Garmin uses). We always have one on our person when flying in the backcountry and you never have to worry about updating a subscription. Hope that helps.
Here is a link to their website but you can find them cheaper on amazon and some sporting goods stores - https://www.acrartex.com/survival-products/resqlink
- Missy

I carry the ACR ResQLink. It has some limitations and lacks some capabilities other alternatives have, but other than an iPhone, that is all I carry. You have to be alive and mobile to activate it, which is why it should be carried on your person. It obviously won't help with tracking the aircraft to the point of impact. Other than the emergency transmissions on 406, 243.0, and 121.5 MHz frequencies, it has no other communication methods. The emergency locator transmitter installed on most airplane is a backup, but those work in less than fifty percent of accidents.

There is no subscription fee, but the beacon does require initial and recurrent (every two years) registration with NOAA.

I just read all of the online information about this devise, while better than nothing, it does not suit my needs.

So far the Garmin InReach seems to be the best choice. I just hate subscription service fees.

The current model does not have a tracking program. I think the Garmin InReach is currently the best deal when it comes to tracking. DENNY

I just read all of the online information about this devise, while better than nothing, it does not suit my needs.

So far the Garmin InReach seems to be the best choice. I just hate subscription service fees.

I have a PLB and an InReach. The InReach costs me nothing during the coldest/darkest days of winter when I suspend the service. Essentially, I do very little flying from November to March.

Then, when I do activate it, I go for the "unlimited" package and can text message my family and friends from hundreds of miles beyond cell phone range.

I gave up the expensive (though admittedly very handy) Iridium phone which was used only for filing/closing flight plans. I put the saved money toward the InReach expenses.

Now I can't use a Flight Plan because, in this country, a Flight Plan can only be closed by telephone. So I use a Flight Itinerary now, filed with a "responsible" person.

My Spot has served me well, tracking etc. In is on auto pay on my credit card. Good insurance some my wife knows were to find me if the stuff hits the fan.

Back