• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Who fixes HD gear

My PA 18 project has a broken leg and I am looking for someone to repair. It is right side, 3 inch HD with 1 1/2 inch axle. Both down tubes are bent and broken. Any ideas folks? Maybe just buy new?

$563 for Atlee. Don't mix and match. The two vendors are different. The work is easy it is just talking the time to make another jig. I have jigs for PA16, 20 and J3/PA18 standard length. Probably easier at this point to just buy a new one.

Got it and thanks. Will have to check the logs to see who made them before. At 563 or so, I would just buy new anyway. I guess I just was not smart enough to check the far north

Buy a new one of the same brand, build a hard jig with it. Install the new one then repair the old one in your jig. If you're going to play rough with a cub it pays to have spares.

$563 for Atlee. Don't mix and match. The two vendors are different. The work is easy it is just talking the time to make another jig. I have jigs for PA16, 20 and J3/PA18 standard length. Probably easier at this point to just buy a new one.

I'd be curious how different they are. I've heard this before but comparing Airframes (old and new) gear, Atlee gear, and Javron gear I don't see a difference in the gear leg itself dimensionally just eyeballing it. The cabane vees and shock struts are for sure different as the depth of the cabane affects the shock strut length and different mfg's do those differently.

And yeah, $563 for Atlee EXTENDED gear. I assumed the OP was talking standard length HD gear which is the lesser $535 price.

I didn’t know cabane v varied? Shock struts and legs did on extended gear, length & width(stance?)

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Yeah, it's a difference in cabane vee leg angles. The hydrasorb mounting plate can land closer or farther away from the fuselage which means the shock struts have to be longer/shorter to have the same gear "splay" or camber at the axle.

Gear legs the same (or at least similar), shock struts and cabanes are different between mfg's.

I have never change a cabane vee when installing extended gear. Just the lower shock struts and the gear.

No that's a good point for sure. I think I missed the part where it was 3" extended as I was quoting prices for standard length. When you do extended gear you can definitely have some variance between gear legs and how each mfg makes that extension. What I'm looking at is standard gear aka little cub parts

I have definitely seen some cabane vees of different "depths" around and have done a few custom ones for customers. Mainly on wide body and PA-12/18 gear conversions as they really have no "standard" to speak of.

Still, like you say I always advise people to replace same brand with same brand. Harder to get weird combinations of parts that way. Still, I wonder why there's so much deviance from a standard set of dimensions just stretched out. Going to have to dig out some gear legs and do some measuring.

Probably because standard was done to the print and the 3" gear was done a hair differently by each manufacturer. My brother's Super Cub was on Airframes gear with Atle lower shock struts. It sat funny and I figured it out. Put the Airframes lower shock struts on and it sat right. I had some Cub Crafters lower shock struts from putting Huskies on Super Cub gear and AOSS. All three were different. When I got my Super Cub Kracke made me a deal on some 1.5" axles 3" extended gear that got shipped down here instead of 1.25". I didn't have to buy the lower shock struts since I had rat holed the ones off my brothers. My whole airplane is that way. ;)

We recently did some measurements on the overall width of Cub gear and found some interesting variations in widths , I remember years ago flying a Cub with 6" gear that had an unusually wide like an 80" width that you could notice instantly by eye. I remember mentioning it to Atlee and he told me that those wider stances had caused alot of problems over the years on Cubs using them alot on SKIS, because of the leverages involved on the taller gear with the skis so far apart. We had 2 Cubs at the time on AWB wheel skis one with standard gear one on 6" gear. There was a noticeable advantage in tough conditions with the higher AOA and greater prop clearance it provided. Javron's 6" gear has the standard 72" width as normal Cub gear does. It looks like Airframes 3" gear from couple we measured runs 76" just for comparison.

Sent from my moto e5 go using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Even gear made by the same manufacture can be different.

Bought a new set from Atlee years ago, went to install the outside axle for skis which slid inside the 1 1/2" axle, and they did not fit. That gear had an internal tube installed as a way to beef up the the axle.

There is no 'standard'.

I didn’t know cabane v varied? Shock struts and legs did on extended gear, length & width(stance?)

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I have changed between the Dodge standard length HD and the 3” HD using the same cabane V but different shock stunts for each. As I recollect I was told by Atlee’s phone person that the cabane V was the same and bought the gear legs and shock struts as they recommended. The safety cables are different for long and short gear legs.

Even gear made by the same manufacture can be different.

Bought a new set from Atlee years ago, went to install the outside axle for skis which slid inside the 1 1/2" axle, and they did not fit. That gear had an internal tube installed as a way to beef up the the axle.

There is no 'standard'.

I think Atlee originally just resold Jensen gear under his brand......

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I think Atlee originally just resold Jensen gear under his brand......

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app[/QU
Jensen manufactured the gear for Atlee because it was cheaper. After the fire at Jensen Lee Budde went to Colorado and bought all of the jigs that were actually Antlers. Rather that get in a pissing match over it Atlee made new ones. I got all that from Kracke.

Thanks Steve and others. You all have gotten me headed in the right direction. Checked the logs and the gear was obtained from Atlee. 563 seems reasonable. Have contacted them for more info, availability and pricing. Thanks again guys. MK

Back