• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

GTR200/225 question

HF_ATL

Hello all,

Can please someone tell me if I can buy the GTR200/GTR225 without purchasing the GMA340 audio panel as well?
Or both units need to be used in conjunction?

Thank you and best regards

We are using the GTR-200 in a J3, a Stearman, a 180 Super Cub, and this week one arrives for the J4. These are all aircraft with more or less demanding intercom environments, and we are using the internal intercom feature. It is a "stand alone" unit.

Dirt-simple. I shield all headset wires and use a return wire, with isolated jacks. That is only four shielded pairs, with shields terminated on the radio plug jacket. Four PTT wires, power & ground, and an antenna wire. I showed the Great Lakes guys how to do it, and they were successful on the first attempt. In the Cubs we never use the intercom ptts. Some of the Stearman guys use them, but open mic works for me.

The only downsides of the 200 is its limited RF squelch range (very susceptible to noise; we can clearly hear approach control on the tower frequency, and the car dealership at the end of the runway is actually painful) and its desire for a good solid 12 volts. Battery only we have to use 24 volts. Other than that, it is the best aircraft radio I have ever used.

I am going to yank a perfectly good SL-40 out of my personal Cub and replace it and its external intercom with a GTR-200.

If you are asking about needing an audio panel with two radios, then the answer is no. Any com radio can be used as a stand alone unit, with an external intercom, or with an audio panel. If you want to run two coms without buying an audio panel, you'll need to use some switches. My preferred way is to use one toggle to select ptt/mic/audio and one more for each com audio. The mic switch allows selection of one mic only and also selects ptt and audio of the same radio. The audio only switch allows you to select the audio from the radio NOT being used, in order to monitor the receive audio. I.e., if you are talking on com 1, turn on the audio switch for com 2 and listen to it's audio.

Web

We did that on an old Mooney. That was before intercoms. Wish I had a photo - my first really big deal installation. Took that sucker in and out of LAX I bet 30 times. Used Leroy lettering and flat black panels.

Thank you all for your contribution, much appreciated!
I'll be using only one comm, so seems that there is no need to purchase anything more than the radio itself.

Back