• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Aircraft insurance - need insurance for an old, relatively stock super cub

DanP

Hudson, MA
Wondering if anyone has suggestions for aircraft insurance carriers and/or an idea of what is a reasonable rate. It is an old (1950), basically stock super cub with an O-320. New fabric in 2015, fairly low time on overhauled engine. Original interior. I am also a fairly low-time pilot.

I’ve got what I think is pretty good insurance through Avemco. How much you pay is going to be determined by time in type and hull value. On good thing about them when I first started as a low time tailwheel pilot was that at every 25 hr they would lower my rate until I had 100 hs. I showed them! I logged 100hrs in about 5-6 weeks! They also automatically assume as a super Cub it will be used off airport. All insurance is going up big time now as there have been a larger number of incidents in the last few years. Good luck with the new Cub!

Thank you! It is actually my dad's plane that he has been flying for 50 years. I got my tailwheel endorsement and am borrowing it to put some time on. I have a fair amount of informal hours in the plane flying dual, but not much in terms of solo hours. In any case, I will take a look at Avemco.

Dan, sounds like a great airplane. I am also an old, relatively stock 1950 model.

john

Although I haven't flown that many different airplanes, in my humble opinion, it IS a great airplane! I really like those old Super Cubs! It has been in my family since my grandfather bought it in the 60's. My goal is to NOT file an insurance claim, but I want to err on the side of caution.

Wondering if anyone has suggestions for aircraft insurance carriers and/or an idea of what is a reasonable rate......

It kinda doesn't matter what anyone thinks is a reasonable rate.
What matters is what you are quoted.
Call around & see where the quotes come in.
The low outfit this time might very well be the highest next time.
FWIW I insure through Bill White Insurance, mainly because he's an old C180 guy.
Other people also have their favorites.

Always have to smile a bit when insurance is the subject. My dear friend/instructor, Glenn Short of Neillsville, Wi. (50) years ago) told me the best insurance is the nut holding the stick..... ;-) Still think back how fortunate I was that he enthusiastically shared his favorite airplane with me for 20 years---(1952 PA-18---150) geezer Dan

I had AVEMCO on my Maule for a few years. Switched to BW for better rates for the past 8 years. AVEMCO sent me a note this year asking to get my business back. Please call this number and speak directly to me, a manager. I called, went to voice mail, left my information. No call back. I called again, voice mail, no call back. Repeat a third time, over a three week period, same result. Called the general number, person took my information to pass to an agent. Received two quotes from different agents for the same coverage that were $600 apart. The lesser one was $600 more than BW. I inquired AVEMCO agents as to how they came up with such different numbers and was told that each agent was free to come up with an individual quote and not constrained by a flow chart. Personally, I think one agent was looking at the commission and residual from a higher quote. Needless to say, I’m still with BW.

Never heard that. They told me they have guidelines, and they do not get creative. For instance, they told me exactly what percentage increase happens at 81, and what happens at 85.

I was saving $600/ year for the last decade, and Avemco could not come close. This year the non-Avemco underwriters decided I was too old, and Avemco beat them by several hundred $. I couldn't not go back.

Back