• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Sensenich 82” GA prop STC approval

Farmboy

Middlebury, VT
So with the government everything takes longer than planned.

But they did it. Sensenich got the STC for their 2G0M8 C82BGF, 82" prop for PA-18 with O-360.

Compared to McCauley 82x42, approved tests show 140 ft/min climb increase +7 mph faster in flight level flight when pitched to same static RPM.

STC for O-320 is coming next, hopefully this summer.

Next year (2022) they expect to have trickle down approvals for small engines, other piper models, and even the C150.

Press release to be out next week.

Pb

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers...

Peter, is this the prop with the whirlwind designed blades? If so, it seems like the rumor is that sensenich used the early blade profile causing higher CHTs. The newer whirlwind design has a slight cuff on the back of the blade improving cooling. Does that sound right?

Last edited:
Any guesses on price?

ETA: just saw in an article, $6350 or $7085 with a matching spinner.

I ran the Whirlwind for a year and a half. Very happy with it. Started running the 82 Sensenich early this fall. The Sensenich has a slightly different blade profile than the Whirlwind and I have had not heat issues with either prop on an 0320 with high compression. The Sensenich is easier to change pitch than the Whirlwind and is at least as good as the Whirlwind performance wise and is 2" longer. It pulls harder that my 43" borer did and cruises at least as fast at the 38" pitch setting. The pins allow me to go from 34" to 44" in 2" increments. I like them both and don't see myself going back to an aluminum prop unless these props don't hold up over time. Either of these props is a 15lb weight reduction right off the nose, which would be really welcome for a lot of 12 drivers. I only own 2 composite props because I always like to have a spare and I sold the borer. Flew yesterday on summit skis (no deep snow here yet) and it pulls like a bandit. Both of these props are pretty noisy from the ground at the lower pitch settings. At high rpm it almost sounds like a constant speed prop. Couple guys around here are waiting for the 0320 STC.
'

I think so Pete. That price is the exp. or course. Mine was around $4000 with the spinner. If the prop hasn't changed for the STC I think that is the one.

Any guesses on price?

ETA: just saw in an article, $6350 or $7085 with a matching spinner.
Damn. That’s stings a bit. I get it. How many tens of thousands do they have getting the approval. Several.

For the same money however you could have two McCattos. A fine and a course and enough money left to buy a bottle of top shelf McCormicks vodka

If there is no spinner on it you need a torque wrench and a 9/16 and 5/8 socket. Loosen the bolts, put the pitch gauge in and rotate the blade against it. Same for other blade and re-torque. 10min tops. The whirlwind takes me about 20 min. Both are worth it for me. I can go from extra cruise speed to stump pulling grunt.

Damn. That’s stings a bit. I get it. How many tens of thousands do they have getting the approval. Several.

For the same money however you could have two McCattos. A fine and a course and enough money left to buy a bottle of top shelf McCormicks vodka

More like hundreds of thousands for an STC. It ain’t a cheap process!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am impressed with my Sensenich on an 0-235. 76” diameter. Easy to change the pitch. I will see how it performs on floats. Good I will bet.

Yea but I will be legal and make it to the STOL contest and be sitting in the Beer tent watching the girls and everyone get plastered while you are swapping that prop you carried in on your wing. 8)

Hehehe. What’s slower? Running fast prop and dragging slow prop in a box or just leaving the slow prop on?

I ordered one yesterday.
Turnbull is squirming bad so I asked about the PA-12's. Sensenich has plans to complete other Piper models although they don't know when.
This was the 1st approval using the Part 23 Regulations and it was challenging for both the Feds and Sensenich. They expect the next approvals to be smoother.
Having completed STC's in the past, I give them huge kudos and big thank yous for this one!
Happy to pay the extra to cover costs and make it a successful project.

This was the 1st approval using the Part 23 Regulations and it was challenging for both the Feds and Sensenich.
Interesting, I wonder why they used Part 23 to certify an installation on a Part 3 airplane? It used to be any alterations to a certified airplane would use the original certification regulations. Perhaps Part 36 for the noise requirements?

Yea but I will be legal and make it to the STOL contest and be sitting in the Beer tent watching the girls and everyone get plastered while you are swapping that prop you carried in on your wing. 8)
I know you better than that. You won’t be in the beer tent. You’ll be walking around visiting!

The FAA changed the plan after the O-360 STC. Now they want comparative testing between a stock PA18-150 with the original Sensenich 74DM prop and the 82" ground adjustable Sensenich. The engineers are putting the test plan together and I am working on providing the airplane.

The FAA changed the plan after the O-360 STC. Now they want comparative testing between a stock PA18-150 with the original Sensenich 74DM prop and the 82" ground adjustable Sensenich. The engineers are putting the test plan together and I am working on providing the airplane.

Gotta love em.. Test data up the wazoo and they want more. Hope they can get this done and make good on prior promises.

What is the time required to change the pitch? I assume safety wire is required?

Maybe 5 minutes without the spinner. If you have a spinner a couple more minutes to pull those screws and reinstall. No safety wire. The locking washers used are reusable many times over. I have a spare set of washers I bought during my initial testing when playing with pitches A LOT but never needed them as the originals still bite very well.

Do a little research on the Nord lock washers they are pretty cool.

Back