• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Stewart System review

Anchorage, AK
Doing a Pawnee flap with a waterborne system, I’ve only been involved with one time before in the wet, cool PNW. Didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn last night but did watch the YouTube videos on covering a flap this morning.

What could go wrong, Murder Hornets? :lol:

34FF17D8-A0BE-4A04-9945-9D252896DF3D.jpg

Got tired of wearing a respirator when doing dope-
FD9217EB-2CD6-41C8-A930-1F0A90DEBB16.jpg

Right off I found out my hangar is too cool to use the glue easily. I tried turning up the heat to 65 but the glue wouldn’t tack up very well. So I moved into the office. I am using heavy fabric and the soak through method they demonstrate doesn’t work that good with it. If I do my Super Cub project with Stewart’s I’ll mostly be using medium.

2A952146-63D1-48BF-B0EA-3FD18286311F.jpg

Attachments

• 34FF17D8-A0BE-4A04-9945-9D252896DF3D.jpg
    34FF17D8-A0BE-4A04-9945-9D252896DF3D.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 259
  • FD9217EB-2CD6-41C8-A930-1F0A90DEBB16.jpg
    FD9217EB-2CD6-41C8-A930-1F0A90DEBB16.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 259
  • 2A952146-63D1-48BF-B0EA-3FD18286311F.jpg
    2A952146-63D1-48BF-B0EA-3FD18286311F.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Can't be in a rush with Stewarts. Give it time, and maybe a second coat. Maybe Marty57 will chime in?

That’s exactly what I charge. Cutting the owner of the Pawnee a break though cause I wanted to try out the Stewart System. It’s very labor intensive. If I had been doing Polyfiber today it would’ve been much further along.
Dunno, I've done both and I think each has its advantages. I hated the polyfiber glue, but that was like 40 years ago so probably doesn't mean much. To be honest, I struggled with Stewarts at first. But once I got it a little bit figured out, it seemed fine. Just one opinion - - -

Tack time on the glue, before applying the fabric, is controlled by a few different things. Temp is one but not that critical although cooler temps will take longer for tack, as will high humidity. I work typically 60-70 degrees; have done it in the 90's. Biggest cause of slow tack time is putting on the glue too thick. Give it time to tack; won't take more than 15-20 minutes at 65 degrees unless too thick. The glue on the flap needs to be thin; it just holds the fabric in place as you wrap the flap. The strength of the joint is the 1" minimum overlap of the fabric. If you are having problems with the glue penetrating the fabric, you can thin it down 10% with distilled water for better penetration (in the manual). I'm covering in my garage right now, temps around 60 degrees so the temps you are dealing with should be fine. One more hint, do two control surfaces at the same time. Put the glue on one and move on to the second. When you have the glue on the second, the first is ready to apply the fabric. No standing around watching the glue dry necessary.
Marty57

The Eko-Poly Paint takes some practice to get nice smooth finish...I had some orange peel..by the time I painted my last parts I was pretty good, but it’s finicky and it’s very important to exactly follow procedures....weigh it! It’s the only accurate way IMO that’s why the instructions switched over to weight instead of using a measuring cup. The Paint is beautiful after it flies out, and the rest of the system extremely nice.

I could do a short review of a rudder I did in Stewarts. At the same time I was doing an aileron in Ceconite.

I think i posted before about it, but: The Stewarts on the rudder was waaayyyyy faster than the ceconite, the glue was a joy to use because of the ease of pressing fabric onto the structure without clamps, and Stewarts doesnt burn you up when the plane catches fire!!

For those who dont know: Stewarts glue is brushed onto the structure and allowed to dry, then the fabric is draped onto the structure and pressed into place. If you need to adjust the lay, you can pull it up and re drape (wonderful for rudder curves, etc). After this, iron over the glue line and apply glue over the whole joint.

I had no problem at all with the topcoat. It sprayed beautifully! And I have lotsa bad habits from auto paints and Stits/Superflie/Ceconite!!

Give peace a chance Charlie :)

Here's a suggestion on the orange peel issues. The Finishline 4 gun from DeVilbiss that I uses has a suggested pressure of 23psi. I suspect that is the pressure they needed to get the gun certified for a specific voc. If you increase your pressure, you will get better atomization. Also, make sure, whatever gun you use, use a 1.3 tip. When I shot the silver metalic on the Waco project, I used "26 square" as I have been calling it. That's the pressure at 26 psi and the viscosity at 26-27 seconds. Viscosity with metalic has to be a little different to account for the metal in suspension. The orange peel sets itself up in the first fog coats so shoot very light, no gloss at all. I have also done large wings in three stages. First, I shoot the three fog coats on the wing. Pressure at 26, viscosity at 26, material open about one turn. I shoot three or four fog coats than stop for the day. 24 hours later, I come back and sand with 320 (dry) and red scotch brite (over tapes) to remove any trash, dirt, etc that may have settled in the paint. I blow and clean the paint, than shoot the final fog and the wet coat at 1-15 open on material knob. I do this because by the time I am done with the fog coats, I'm getting tired reaching and I'm not fresh, just me ...... It takes three hours to scuff sand before the second application of paint. I know that isn't great for many due to the labor cost but it works for me, just something to think about. Smaller parts, control surfaces, etc i do in one application. I also mix only enough paint for the fogs and mix fresh for wet coat. I did have an issue on a hot day that toward the 2-1/2 to 3 hour mark the paint wasn't flowing through the filter very well so I mixed new paint. With solid paints, you can use the higher viscosity numbers also. shoot with your viscosity around 23 seconds or even a little higher, 24 is ok. I have found that the viscosity cups lose their accuracy when you get close to 21 seconds and you can wind up with way too much water in the mix and not know it. It really is important to practice first. Make a few wood frames and cover with fabric and practice the entire process. Do two frames; shoot one for mistakes (too close, to fast, cause a run, sag, etc). shoot the second for perfection. The perfect one will make great prepainted patches should you ever kick up a rock. I still do practice panels with paint colors I have not shot before and to show customers difference between clear vs straight top coat.

These are just a few ideas that may help moving from ok to excellent with your paint.

Marty 57

Back working on the flap after finishing a glider Annual.

7A6A86DC-20F8-407A-A274-960C312EB6EF.jpg
I was a little dubious of the glue but the fabric tightened up just fine when I ironed it.

8E27D5B8-813C-4B96-9AD4-D1BD68D69522.jpeg
Speaking of Irons. I got this Fabric Pro iron recently. It’s waaay better than the old clothing irons I’ve been using! The digital thermometer is nice.

C7B68F70-B780-4CCE-B04B-24CB96D9B3AA.jpg
Figuring out how to tape.

15BCA4A1-DD56-4521-959A-6CCC77532E09.jpg
I liked Marty’s system of controlling the glue pot so I copied it.

Attachments

• 7A6A86DC-20F8-407A-A274-960C312EB6EF.jpg
    7A6A86DC-20F8-407A-A274-960C312EB6EF.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 180
  • 8E27D5B8-813C-4B96-9AD4-D1BD68D69522.jpeg
    8E27D5B8-813C-4B96-9AD4-D1BD68D69522.jpeg
    214.2 KB · Views: 200
  • C7B68F70-B780-4CCE-B04B-24CB96D9B3AA.jpg
    C7B68F70-B780-4CCE-B04B-24CB96D9B3AA.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 184
  • 15BCA4A1-DD56-4521-959A-6CCC77532E09.jpg
    15BCA4A1-DD56-4521-959A-6CCC77532E09.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 170
Jason Gerard taught me that and I just spent last weekend in Cashmere with Dan and Marjie Stewart. Got a lot of history on the fabric system. Was an interesting visit.

Charlie looks like you need a little more practice, I’ll send you a few controls you can cover for me, for old time sakes,LOL. Looks good. Hope they lift the restrictions, maybe we can get together up at my place in Seldovia and do some fishing.

Ahh man you should’ve swung by and said hi!
Got there Saturday afternoon, had Dan school me on some stuff on Sunday, loaded a truck full of tools, jigs and fixtures and busted out Monday morning ahead of that weather they got Monday evening. It was a quick trip. Hope to make it back up there to enjoy the area.

Being a flap, I'd double cover it, but that's me. Is that the iron that Consolidated puts out???
John

It is a Fabric Pro Iron, I just got one over the holidays, took 3 days to get it from California. Really fast shipping

It is a first class iron, comes with a case that you store it in even if semi warm, has a silicone pad to rest it on that does not melt so you can place it down and not burn something., 1 year warrantee, temp range is 176-356 degrees, comes in 110/115 US voltage or 220 for European use. you specify.

S&M Innovations LLC. has them made to their specs or make s them themselves, I do not see China anywhere on it or the directions.
(619)517-0840, ask for Stephen, or his e-mail is shillardn@gmail.com.

I do not work for them as I am in NC.
Just reporting on a good product.

Ken

Got there Saturday afternoon, had Dan school me on some stuff on Sunday, loaded a truck full of tools, jigs and fixtures and busted out Monday morning ahead of that weather they got Monday evening. It was a quick trip. Hope to make it back up there to enjoy the area.

You’re welcome anytime! I have a spare bedroom.

Well the flap is ready to spray. I was hoping it would warm up a little but no dice. We’ll see how the primer and paint likes a 65 degree hangar.

it was a bit of a learning curve. I think time wise it’s about the same as Poly Fiber. The hardest part was getting the seaplane drain doilies on. I figured out a technique on the third one.

A0B3E810-E008-46C6-900D-2E34B4EA3530.jpg

Attachments

• A0B3E810-E008-46C6-900D-2E34B4EA3530.jpg
    A0B3E810-E008-46C6-900D-2E34B4EA3530.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 194
This paint loves heat. Just something to think about. I've shot lots at 60-65, but it likes 80-90 even better. The biggest difference you'll notice is long wait times between coats as the temp drops. When you get the Ekofill on, give it at LEAST 24 hours in a warm room to dry. Longer is better.
John

Back