Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stewart System review

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Calkins View Post
    The draw to Stewarts for me is the excellent flexibility of the finished job/topcoat.

^^^ This^^^

And.... the safer (not hazard free) but safer application.

15ish years ago I recovered my cub in Airtech. It was my first job with that system, and it came out pretty flippin' amazing for an amateur. I mean it was show & go shiny and everything flowed out awesome....

And then I had the mis fortune of parking it under a hail storm. The actual hail damage was something no system was going to do well with. I mean it had 66 holes in it with several going through both surfaces But what made me steer away from Airtech right then and there was that when we cut the fabric off (hardly a year old by then) the coating was snapping off the fabric like lays potato chips.

The holes were enough to necessitate a recover, but the entire upper surface was ringwormed from the hail. I don't believe that would have happened with the Stewarts.

I guess we're about 14 years or so in this covering, and it's been rode hard and put away wet (literally on many occasions) and while it's not a show stopper, it certainly isn't ready to be cut off yet. And the only cracks in the finish are where it has been mishandled.

I am currently recovering a set of Ag Cat tail feathers for a friend, and a set of Turbine Thrush tail feathers for myself. I can't think of a much harsher environment for a cover job, but I am confident that the Stewarts will be up to the task. Including the regular wash with the pressure washer.

Take care, Rob
    Likes Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty57 View Post
    This is a picture of a fiberglass cowl for a Citabria recently shot by the owner up in Canada. This was his first attempt at using our system after one of our seminars. No reason you can't do the wings on the glider.
    Marty57

Attachment 54972
    Marty do you think I can wet sand Ekopoly Premium? I am talking 1000 and 1200 grit 3M sandpaper followed by rubbing compound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Longley View Post
    Marty do you think I can wet sand Ekopoly Premium? I am talking 1000 and 1200 grit 3M sandpaper followed by rubbing compound.
    Charlie,
    Yes, you can wet sand if necessary. I have done 1500 followed by 2000 wet than McGuires Diamond cut as a polish. It would be great if removing a run or other issue such as blending. Wet sand after a good 24 hours works well; longer to ket a run fully dry. I used this process to sand out brush marks when I had to do a repair and spraying was not available in the hangar the plane was located in.
    Marty57
    N367PS
    Psalm 36:7 "High and low among men find refuge in the shadow of His wing"
    www.marty2plus2.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty57 View Post
    Charlie,
    Yes, you can wet sand if necessary. I have done 1500 followed by 2000 wet than McGuires Diamond cut as a polish. It would be great if removing a run or other issue such as blending. Wet sand after a good 24 hours works well; longer to ket a run fully dry. I used this process to sand out brush marks when I had to do a repair and spraying was not available in the hangar the plane was located in.
    Marty57
    OK cool! I am going to do the horizontal tail feathers on my Schleicher ASW-20 glider at the end of the season.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know it's short notice, but I'm doing a three day Stewart Systems seminar mid June in California. There was a lot of interest on this post so just wanted to let guys know what's coming up. I'll also be teaching at Airventure again this year if you have questions or just want to give it a quick try.

Marty57
    N367PS
    www.marty2plus2.com
    Thanks Colorado-Cub thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I intend to be in attendance a session or two at Kosh.
    Regards, Charlie
    Super Coupe E-AB build in process

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieN View Post
    I intend to be in attendance a session or two at Kosh.
    It will be nice to be back to Oshkosh this year. I'm going to dedicate one day to double covering for guys interested in that. I'll be down by the ultralite red barn again this year; also a couple forums down that way.

Marty57
    N367PS
    www.marty2plus2.com
    Thanks marcusofcotton thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yah it will be nice to get back, this being my 40th year, granted I have not been there every one of those. Still go there to learn.
    Regards, Charlie
    Super Coupe E-AB build in process