• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Check your mixture clamp screw

AkPA/18

Big Lake Ak
IMG_9873(1).jpg
The original screw securing the mixture cable to the clamp is a 6-32. Over the years many of these cables have been replaced with larger diameter cables like the pushbutton teflon lined or vernier cable. When the original screw is tightened in combination with the larger diameter cable it bends the screw. I have seen 4 break over the years. The only solution for myself has been to replace with a 10-32 washerhead structural screw. Sorry I didn't take a picture of the clamp before or after. Just look for the relationship of the tail of the screw to the head and it's easy to see.

Attachments

• IMG_9873(1).jpg
    IMG_9873(1).jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 175
Slickest setup I seen was from Charlie at crosswinds a AN 741(MS 27405) clamp then a notched cable clamp (or 2 on small plate) from Atlee’s and AN3 bolt

IMG_1877.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_1877.JPG
    IMG_1877.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Nice clamps for the job Mike. I can't quite picture how you set up the proper angle. I am bad that way without a picture. Do you use this instead of the original clamp?

Nice clamps for the job Mike. I can't quite picture how you set up the proper angle. I am bad that way without a picture. Do you use this instead of the original clamp?

Yes for last 8? Years? I was quite impressed with it compared to the hose clamps his 180hp STC used before. Much better than the original Piper clamp also. But sometimes I add 2 small clamps & plate for piece of mind.

Don’t think I have a picture easily available to show.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Thanks for the reply. Someday if you run across a picture I'd love to see it. I always have had a problem figuring it out in my head without looking at pictures LOL. Getting worse these days! I am kind of surprised we haven't seen this posted about before. Maybe it's just me.

Wrap safety wire around the cable housing next to the clamp. Run the wire across the clamp and wrap around the cable housing in the opposite direction. Wrap it tight and even so it bites into the housing like threads on a bolt. Twist the wire ends together over the clamp. This will keep the cable housing from slipping if the screw ever comes loose.

you can also make notched clamps by putting closed clamp on a bolt of same "thread pitch" as cable housing, and peening a couple of the groves(low spots in bolt) with a dulled chisel like tool....

I still also add the safety wire to the notched clamps.... but its not needed, just extra piece of mind.....

Back