• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

ISO source for cable for Pa-12 trim with double pulley

Kodiakmack

winters in Utah, Summers in Idaho
Looks like we need to replace the trim cable in the newly named “good grief”. Anybody know of a source for a correct length cable that will fit the double pulley setup, or should we plan on making our own with the old as a guide?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Last edited:
There’s several part numbers for different serial #’s. At univair’s price we might make our own, but I’d like to get the right dimensions.

Thanks guys, I’ll call Tony today. Will work on getting interior out, and considering cutting the outside panel to make things manageable. I’ve seen talk on other threads about re-building the handle with a bushing/bearing and am open to ideas. While we’re in there I’d like to make it all as robust as possible.

I also would like to hear about any solutions involving bearings for the front pulley attachment

We’ve ordered a new cable from Tony. As advertised, very friendly and wanted a check for payment but is sending prior to receiving the check. Graciousness not often shown these days.

I’ve also ordered the parts to do Darrel’s mod to the crank system.

we are probably going to put an inspection panel outside o the trim crank as well as somewhere in the belly to ease the process of trim cable replacement.

still scratching our heads as to how that’s going to go.

Take lots of before pictures as to which cable is outer up front providing the cables don’t touch below crank now. If they touch it’s probably backwards. Start with front stringing cable to get them not to touch. Then string to back and do jack screw end. Test, if it operates backwards, then ONLY REVERSE THE CABLE AT JACKSCREW

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Got a lot done today. Old cable is out and new is in. Almost done fabricating the crank system per darrell’s design. The old crank shaft was severely worn as shown. We have found that all of the “ mid ship” pulleys are at poor angles that lead to pulleys not turning and evidence of the cable jumping off. Curious if anyone has any fixes other than re-welding the brackets at better angles which we aren’t going to be able to do. (We haven’t tightened nuts on the pulley bolts yet)

Attachments

• 52C9DF4F-4DC9-478A-BDDF-8D6C9F7C9BA8.jpg
    52C9DF4F-4DC9-478A-BDDF-8D6C9F7C9BA8.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 9B4639CE-6876-4659-BABB-31B1FF97D71E.jpg
    9B4639CE-6876-4659-BABB-31B1FF97D71E.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 78B3B93A-3F1B-436D-A7A4-917763F576FD.jpeg
    78B3B93A-3F1B-436D-A7A4-917763F576FD.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 129
  • EB8215E9-1D80-48A7-BF45-3D01E887331A.jpg
    EB8215E9-1D80-48A7-BF45-3D01E887331A.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 118
We’ve ordered a new cable from Tony. As advertised, very friendly and wanted a check for payment but is sending prior to receiving the check. Graciousness not often shown these days.

I’ve also ordered the parts to do Darrel’s mod to the crank system.

we are probably going to put an inspection panel outside o the trim crank as well as somewhere in the belly to ease the process of trim cable replacement.

still scratching our heads as to how that’s going to go.

Yes, definitely fit the trim access panel!! Easy to do and makes everything MUCH easier!!IMG_4558.JPGIMG_4455.JPG

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_4558.JPG
    IMG_4558.JPG
    254.5 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_4455.JPG
    IMG_4455.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 126
Yes, definitely fit the trim access panel!! Easy to do and makes everything MUCH easier!!View attachment 54019View attachment 54020

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

we were ready to cut fabric, but found that we had enough room to comfortably work the problem without it. Have you had any issues with having an inspection plate there? That seems to be a high wind/prop blast buffet area and we were worried about putting a full size inspection hole. A dollar patch was suggested, but haven’t needed it yet.

we were ready to cut fabric, but found that we had enough room to comfortably work the problem without it. Have you had any issues with having an inspection plate there? That seems to be a high wind/prop blast buffet area and we were worried about putting a full size inspection hole. A dollar patch was suggested, but haven’t needed it yet.

Wow, well done on being able to do the work from the inside only [emoji1303]

I’ve had no problems at all with the inspection panel there, it’s just a standard ring with the pop in/out cover type. I actually copied the idea from another 12 at my airfield and they’ve had no problems either [emoji41]

We DID cut an inspection hole in the belly for the elevator cable and trim cable swaps. Doug put in a fantastic clean out plate at rebuild but it doesn’t go forward enough to deal with those mid ship needs, so we put a hole there and it worked like magic. We’ve just been wishing we had 1946 sized arms or they made slightly bigger inspection hole rings haha.

We DID cut an inspection hole in the belly for the elevator cable and trim cable swaps. Doug put in a fantastic clean out plate at rebuild but it doesn’t go forward enough to deal with those mid ship needs, so we put a hole there and it worked like magic. We’ve just been wishing we had 1946 sized arms or they made slightly bigger inspection hole rings haha.

Ha ha yes!! My late 1950s hand just about goes through the ring!!!!

Back