Thread: Low cost seat cover solution?

Post Thanks / Like

Low cost seat cover solution?

Looking for a cheap seat cover. Maybe some automotive seat covers that fit good on a cub? Sheep covers? Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Burlap sacks available at any feed store....

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    Burlap sacks available at any feed store....
    To rough on the naked bum.
    Likes alaskadrifter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenCub View Post
    Looking for a cheap seat cover. Maybe some automotive seat covers that fit good on a cub? Sheep covers? Any suggestions?
    Low cost and airplanes donít go together

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    For a Pa 18 seat frame?
    I have a couple sets avail.
    whats “cheap” though?
    Last edited by Oliver; 01-07-2021 at 09:28 PM.
    Thanks Mattpeed thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenCub View Post
    They might have something for you. My 206 rear seats are original and in bad shape, they sport some costco seat covers.

https://www.seatcoversunlimited.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    If you go to an upholstery shop, them them it's for a tractor. I went to a local mattress shop to inquire about making some tempur-type foam cushions to go in my Fine Line covers (their foam kinda sucks). They couldn't run me out fast enough when I said it was for an airplane.

Post Thanks / Like
    For the last 30 years in various aircraft I've planted my rear end on the thickest and highest quality sheepskin I can find. I think I paid a couple hundred bucks for the one I've had for the last 3000 hours, they wear like iron. Cool in the summer, warm in the winter. The entire actual hide, not something cut down into a seat cover. A temperfoam seat cushion first, over my stock seat. The best come out of new Zealand I'm told, mine did anyway. Simple as hell but very effective.
    Thanks barrow pilot thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It'd be neat to see some pictures of your seats... Cub seats that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by courierguy View Post
    For the last 30 years in various aircraft I've planted my rear end on the thickest and highest quality sheepskin I can find. I think I paid a couple hundred bucks for the one I've had for the last 3000 hours, they wear like iron. Cool in the summer, warm in the winter. The entire actual hide, not something cut down into a seat cover. A temperfoam seat cushion first, over my stock seat. The best come out of new Zealand I'm told, mine did anyway. Simple as hell but very effective.
    Sent from my VS988 using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Likes jrussl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The stock S-7 seat is more or less a glorified lawn chair, get's the job done and is light though. But I suffered from dead ass syndrome before I got the temper foam seat cushion, JUST a seat cushion, and it just sits on the original seat with the sheepskin thrown over it. One unexpected benefit of this somewhat jury rigged setup is, both the cushion and skin can be easily pulled out and used when camping out, that is a big plus. I have flown 8-10 hours days and still been comfortable. Cost wise, considering how long the skins last (decades) they are dirt cheap on an annual basis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-27-16 005.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	170.8 KB 
ID:	53510  
    Thanks cub yellow, Litecub thanked for this post
    Likes Utah-Jay, cub yellow liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a comfortable seat. I like the cargo packing job also.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a set of custom fit sheep skin covers in my 185. They are very comfortable. Don't remember where I got them years ago when there were a lot of ads marketing them.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm planning to sew my own seat covers. I had very good results at a very good price form this fur company.

https://www.glacierwear.com/animal-f...can-lamb.html?
    Thanks ChickenCub thanked for this post
    Likes cub yellow liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bcone1381 View Post
    I'm planning to sew my own seat covers. I had very good results at a very good price form this fur company.

I like this solution. Thanks. Hand sew? Or use a normal sewing machine?

Post Thanks / Like
    I want to try a regular sewing machine. The machine will be a challenge. Youtube encourages me to try, but not without warning. The hides from the source I provided are actual hides, so there will be waste. I will be practicing on the waist to see if I can acquire the skills I learned on Youtube. I give myself a 50-50 chance. If the machine fails, then I will hand stitch.

As I write this from a hotel room, I think I might be ahead if prepared one part of one seat for sewing, then stuffed it in my suitcase and sewed while I was on the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a good source of memory foam for the seat cushion.... I've experimented with there SunMate product. The Soft and Med/soft did not give me support and left me with a sore back. But the Medium gives me a comfortable supportive seat for hours with a fixed lumbar that I fit for myself by trial and error. It initially has a hard feeling and softens some with body warmth.

https://www.sunmatecushions.com/coll...pedic-cushions
    Likes JDWilliams, jrussl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Low cost seat cover solution?

Google ďfur sewing machineĒ they have a separate function/move to them to pull the hairs out of sewn seam before stiching. I forget the exact name, I have one in garage. Bonis?? Brand??

Like this.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...g&dct=1&adurl=

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Try www.seatfoam.com
    Mine is 3 layers and going on 20years. Great stuff!
    Not sure if Janice is still doing this since Jim died.
    "Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bcone1381 View Post

I have no prior experience with this company so take this with a grain of salt.....Iíve been, however, in and around the saddle making bus. a year or two.

If youíre ordering sheep skins take in account the price then look at the square footage. A large hide/shearling is +-13sqft. That will probably do a seat back and bottom without any splices. Keep in mind that the flank and elbow pockets can get narrow width wise across the hide and screw your yield. Youíll have tons of waste either way. You canít get around it. Pieces of skins can be spliced together with a baseball stitch but itís still noticeable in most cases.

Keep in mind that sheepskins have a direction that the wool lays. This is splitting hairs and doesnít matter on a seat back but may on a seat bottom. Run your hand longways on the wool skin and youíll feel the direction the hair lays. Itís not always the way you think.

These are the nicest, densest veg. tan skins Iíve ever used for saddle making and would be the first place I would call. Itís not an arts and crafts place so they may send you to a jobber to place an order.....https://www.nuggetcompany.com/finished-leather/

As far as sewing machines go, most smaller machines will stumble through the wool skin as long as the areas youíre sewing arenít to thick. Trim the hair down with scissors if needed where youíre folding, glueing and sewing. Lengthen the stitch and help it feed if needed. One area that people have trouble sewing sheepskin is on items like saddle skirts. The woolskin is glued to another piece of leather and is at the bottom side of the stitch. In that case, you need a sewing machine with a walking foot and feed dog on the bottom side to move the leather and skin through the machine to keep it from getting bogged down.
    Thanks bcone1381 thanked for this post
    Likes jrussl liked this post