• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Low cost seat cover solution?

ChickenCub

Looking for a cheap seat cover. Maybe some automotive seat covers that fit good on a cub? Sheep covers? Any suggestions?

For a Pa 18 seat frame?
I have a couple sets avail.
whats “cheap” though?

Last edited:
If you go to an upholstery shop, them them it's for a tractor. I went to a local mattress shop to inquire about making some tempur-type foam cushions to go in my Fine Line covers (their foam kinda sucks). They couldn't run me out fast enough when I said it was for an airplane.

For the last 30 years in various aircraft I've planted my rear end on the thickest and highest quality sheepskin I can find. I think I paid a couple hundred bucks for the one I've had for the last 3000 hours, they wear like iron. Cool in the summer, warm in the winter. The entire actual hide, not something cut down into a seat cover. A temperfoam seat cushion first, over my stock seat. The best come out of new Zealand I'm told, mine did anyway. Simple as hell but very effective.

It'd be neat to see some pictures of your seats... Cub seats that is.
For the last 30 years in various aircraft I've planted my rear end on the thickest and highest quality sheepskin I can find. I think I paid a couple hundred bucks for the one I've had for the last 3000 hours, they wear like iron. Cool in the summer, warm in the winter. The entire actual hide, not something cut down into a seat cover. A temperfoam seat cushion first, over my stock seat. The best come out of new Zealand I'm told, mine did anyway. Simple as hell but very effective.

Sent from my VS988 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

The stock S-7 seat is more or less a glorified lawn chair, get's the job done and is light though. But I suffered from dead ass syndrome before I got the temper foam seat cushion, JUST a seat cushion, and it just sits on the original seat with the sheepskin thrown over it. One unexpected benefit of this somewhat jury rigged setup is, both the cushion and skin can be easily pulled out and used when camping out, that is a big plus. I have flown 8-10 hours days and still been comfortable. Cost wise, considering how long the skins last (decades) they are dirt cheap on an annual basis.

Attachments

• 3-27-16 005.jpg
    3-27-16 005.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 217
I have a set of custom fit sheep skin covers in my 185. They are very comfortable. Don't remember where I got them years ago when there were a lot of ads marketing them.

I want to try a regular sewing machine. The machine will be a challenge. Youtube encourages me to try, but not without warning. The hides from the source I provided are actual hides, so there will be waste. I will be practicing on the waist to see if I can acquire the skills I learned on Youtube. I give myself a 50-50 chance. If the machine fails, then I will hand stitch.

As I write this from a hotel room, I think I might be ahead if prepared one part of one seat for sewing, then stuffed it in my suitcase and sewed while I was on the road.

I'm planning to sew my own seat covers. I had very good results at a very good price form this fur company.

https://www.glacierwear.com/animal-fur-pelts-hides-skins/shearling-sheep-tuscan-lamb.html?
I have no prior experience with this company so take this with a grain of salt.....I’ve been, however, in and around the saddle making bus. a year or two.

If you’re ordering sheep skins take in account the price then look at the square footage. A large hide/shearling is +-13sqft. That will probably do a seat back and bottom without any splices. Keep in mind that the flank and elbow pockets can get narrow width wise across the hide and screw your yield. You’ll have tons of waste either way. You can’t get around it. Pieces of skins can be spliced together with a baseball stitch but it’s still noticeable in most cases.

Keep in mind that sheepskins have a direction that the wool lays. This is splitting hairs and doesn’t matter on a seat back but may on a seat bottom. Run your hand longways on the wool skin and you’ll feel the direction the hair lays. It’s not always the way you think.

These are the nicest, densest veg. tan skins I’ve ever used for saddle making and would be the first place I would call. It’s not an arts and crafts place so they may send you to a jobber to place an order.....https://www.nuggetcompany.com/finished-leather/

As far as sewing machines go, most smaller machines will stumble through the wool skin as long as the areas you’re sewing aren’t to thick. Trim the hair down with scissors if needed where you’re folding, glueing and sewing. Lengthen the stitch and help it feed if needed. One area that people have trouble sewing sheepskin is on items like saddle skirts. The woolskin is glued to another piece of leather and is at the bottom side of the stitch. In that case, you need a sewing machine with a walking foot and feed dog on the bottom side to move the leather and skin through the machine to keep it from getting bogged down.

Back