• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Seal brake lines

sdischer

ATP, CFII, A&P
COLLEGE STATION, TX
My brake lines exit through slots in two inspection covers in the floor of my fuselage. I assume this is typical. I get a good bit of exhaust fumes coming in around the brake lines. Anyone have a good trick for sealing around the lines?

My brake lines exit through slots in two inspection covers in the floor of my fuselage. I assume this is typical. I get a good bit of exhaust fumes coming in around the brake lines. Anyone have a good trick for sealing around the lines?

I could make up some silicone seals for you if you would like.

Tim

Typical is a bulkhead fitting in a drilled hole. If you have lines through the covers and have room add a grommet. If no room cut a grommet and make a flange.

the problem is probably not the gaps up front there... but gaps in fabric at tail triangle creating a vacuum in fuselage.....

The triangle just above the tail spring on the bottom of the fuse isn’t covered. I’m wondering if that one inch wide by three inch long gap is enough to pull a vacuum?

The triangle just above the tail spring on the bottom of the fuse isn’t covered. I’m wondering if that one inch wide by three inch long gap is enough to pull a vacuum?

absolutely...

we used to leave it uncovered on all jobs... till we figured out it was a problem CO wise....

just stuff a piece of foam rubber in there to block it... and retest..

Thanks Mike. I will give that a try. All I have to do is crack the heater open and the smell stops. I think you are onto something.

SOLUTION: I have a saying, every problem is the result of a previous solution and this time it is no different. I raised my breather tube up a couple of inches a while back to get it out of the slipstream under the cowl as an experiment and that really reduced the oil on my belly and I was excited about that. What I didn't realize is this caused a bad smell in the cockpit. I have been chasing what I thought was an exhaust smell in the cockpit in this thread and as an experiment I dropped the tube back down and the smell disappeared. Completely. So, bottom line is the smell wasn't exhaust, it was crankcase vapor and I will have to live with the little bit of belly oil. I am only running 3 qts and I have the Aerobat elbow so short of an oil separator, I think I am at the best possible compromise and should just plan to buy rags.

Back