• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Pirep on Summit Skis

Schwarz

Abilene, Texas Bemidji Minnesota
Thinking about getting these skis, was wondering what you ski flyers have to say about these or recommendations on others?

attachment.php

Thanks.

I’m guessing that for Abilene, TX, most any ski should work just fine. Now, if you want a more realistic assessment, maybe you could tell us where and in what sort of SKI conditions you might find yourself.

For perspective, you may notice in a lot of the “ski” photos you see on the internet, there’s not much, umm, snow.

MTV

Oh Wes.
I don’t think summits will work on your cub. Best option is trade straight up for mine with straight skis. When’s a good time? [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

That said, with hp they work good. Bunch of carbon cubs and a few others run them up here. There is a little drag from the wheel, but they work.
On other people’s low horsepower cubs the drag in wet or deep may overcome the power - NYGlenn will tell you about not leaving his runway on his. So he went to Datums.
A few other experimental guys have also switched to Datums, just for the best of both worlds.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I’m guessing that for Abilene, TX, most any ski should work just fine. Now, if you want a more realistic assessment, maybe you could tell us where and in what sort of SKI conditions you might find yourself.

For perspective, you may notice in a lot of the “ski” photos you see on the internet, there’s not much, umm, snow.

MTV

I’m currently in northern Minnesota, would like to be able to land on lakes and unplowed runways. Locals say so far this year they don’t have the snow they usually see this time of year, they say they can get 2-3 feet though.

That said, with hp they work good. Bunch of carbon cubs and a few others run them up here. There is a little drag from the wheel, but they work.
On other people’s low horsepower cubs the drag in wet or deep may overcome the power - NYGlenn will tell you about not leaving his runway on his. So he went to Datums.
A few other experimental guys have also switched to Datums, just for the best of both worlds.

Thank you sir! I will check out the Datums, I guess I need to make my way back up to your neck of the woods and take in some ski flying, wife and I had a blast up there!!

Thanks.

I have Trick Air on my 65 HP J3 (certified) so only choice for penetration skis (Unless you get a Field approval). Mine are very nice, great quality...but we get LOTS of snow in the U.P. of Michigan often up to 300" in parts....The wheel skis are a sacrifice on take off for sure...and if you get into some overflow you could get into trouble. I have been able to get by pretty well but I have to pick my lake landing areas carefully and watch snow conditions more diligently than I did on my Federal 1500 straight skis....this year we have much less snow than we did this time last year, so it's been a lot of fun flying my trick airs. The Summits have a little less of a cut-out for the wheel....or should I say the transition straighter after the penetration creating slightly less drag than the Trick air (according to Glenn) But I did not know he switched to Datums....Interesting

if you get stuck with the Summit’s, just pull the wheels off and throw them in the baggage..

if you get stuck with the Summit’s, just pull the wheels off and throw them in the baggage..

It wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been stuck somewhere that I probably shouldn’t have been, ask Steve P. :lol:

It wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been stuck somewhere that I probably shouldn’t have been, ask Steve P. :lol:

I don’t think I’ll be able to make it to put your small wheels in the baggage.

I have the 2300 summits. They work great. The bracket bolts onto the gear, and the ski bolts onto the bracket. You can run 8.50’s with them. They are light weight and work great. If I remember right he only makes a limited run in the fall/ winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by SchwarzIt wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been stuck somewhere that I probably shouldn’t have been, ask Steve P. :lol:

I don’t think I’ll be able to make it to put your small wheels in the baggage.

I have the 2300 summits. They work great. The bracket bolts onto the gear, and the ski bolts onto the bracket. You can run 8.50’s with them. They are light weight and work great. If I remember right he only makes a limited run in the fall/ winter.

LOL, Mr. RaisedByWolves might know something about it too. :oops::oops: Thanks Tom.

Ya, I’ve been stuck lots of times.. part of ski flying. I love the Summit’s for what they are - a compromise. They’re light and work great for what I do.

Performance of skis depends on a number of factors, including snow depth, consistency of the snow, temperature, aircraft weight, power, etc.

Northern MN can get a fair amount of snow. The good news is, that part of the world often stays fairly cold, so wet, sloppy snow isn’t common. The problem, as noted above, with any penetration ski, like the Summit, is that part of the tire protrudes through the ski, and creates a LOT of drag. In wet snow, that drag can be HUGE. In powder, not so much. The second issue with penetration skis is that they all have some sort of “tail wheel” to prevent the aft end of the ski from dragging on the runway when on a runway. Unfortunately, that little wheel also creates drag. And again, that may be considerable in certain snow conditions. A friend has a Cessna 185 which he flys to his cabin in the Brooks Range of AK. His skis are Landes Airglas penetration skis. Those skis had a single tailwheel, mounted on a spring attached to the aft end of the ski. Many times, he’d have to remove those tailwheels just to get airborne off his lake, even with a groomed strip. He’d fly to Bettles, land on the (groomed) runway, reattach the tailwheels, then fly home.

So, penetration skis are a compromise. They might work fine in most conditions you’ll find in northern MN.

But at some point, everybody gets stuck on skis. If you can afford retractable skis, like the Datums, odds of getting stuck are decreased....at least a little.

Dress warm, carry enough gear to spend the night, and have fun. Ski flying is the most fun you can have in a light airplane.

MTV

I’ve landed in an awful warm spring slushy mash potato snow with summits and they did much much better than I expected. That being said I’ve flown some r2800’s and they sucked. In powder. Summits worked much better than I expected.

Summits are a great ski. But with limited HP on a short strip there were days where I couldn't get out and a couple times I was lucky to get back to the hangar. Datums have worked much better for my situation. And their cheaper.

Glenn

If I asked very politely would you mind sharing a copy of the 337? I’ve been looking at Summits for a while.

Summits are a great ski. But with limited HP on a short strip there were days where I couldn't get out and a couple times I was lucky to get back to the hangar. Datums have worked much better for my situation. And their cheaper.

Glenn

The first time I've heard the phrase "cheaper" associated with Datums! And I realize you mean less expensive, I didn't know the Summits were that expensive in other words.

The first time I've heard the phrase "cheaper" associated with Datums! And I realize you mean less expensive, I didn't know the Summits were that expensive in other words.

Oops, cost less, quality is superb. Summits are 5K to over 7K

Glenn

If I asked very politely would you mind sharing a copy of the 337? I’ve been looking at Summits for a while.

Yeah sure, but Good luck getting them approved. It took me over a year to get it done and the local Fsdo’s don’t “do field approvals” anymore.

I’ve done a lot of DER approvals for floats, could likely do ski approvals as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve done a lot of DER approvals for floats, could likely do ski approvals as well.

Dave understands the system better then anyone I've ever seen. In his spare time he helps keep Rhinebeck alive

Glenn

Last edited:
Looked very closely at Datums twice and both times chose Summits. I simply was not comfortable with the lack of support from the manufacturer on a standard way to rig them for my (any type) aircraft. On a Cub the front cables need to attach to an engine mount to achieve proper geometry, this will be a trial and error effort by the manufactures own admission. Summits come with the proper length cables, springs and hardware ready to mount. For the mechanical type rigging Datums may not be an issue but for me cutting into the cowl and hoping I got it right was. With the Summits there is a drag penalty which at times can be used to an advantage, as always there are compromises.

I'm in, where do we start. I've never gone through the process.
I assume the engineering needs to be looked at, is it a matter of getting drawings from Summit? Will prior field approvals be helpful?

I'm dealing with Summit now for a Bearhawk project and modifying their attach bracket. Different animal but they would likely be inclined to help with whatever I would need to pursue a FA for my SuperCub.

Looked very closely at Datums twice and both times chose Summits. I simply was not comfortable with the lack of support from the manufacturer on a standard way to rig them for my (any type) aircraft. On a Cub the front cables need to attach to an engine mount to achieve proper geometry, this will be a trial and error effort by the manufactures own admission. Summits come with the proper length cables, springs and hardware ready to mount. For the mechanical type rigging Datums may not be an issue but for me cutting into the cowl and hoping I got it right was. With the Summits there is a drag penalty which at times can be used to an advantage, as always there are compromises.

On any ski installation, I MUCH prefer the front cables attach at the engine mount/firewall, as opposed to the landing gear.

MTV

Back