• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-11 C85-12 Prop recommendations

Navalav8tor

Looking for recommendations on metal Prop combinations on a PA-11 C85-12, thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I have a McCauley CM7146 on my PA11/C-85. It is a cruise prop and I typically fly at pressure altitudes between 900-3000 feet. Static RPM is about 2500 - a little below redline. Hope this data point helps.

If your tach is accurate, you are doing a really good job with that prop.

Glenn, mostly climb. Hopefully that will allow me to continue to fly during our summer months in Texas...
Thanks

Last edited:
Glenn,
Currently do not have one is why I'm soliciting the information, then I'll be faced with finding one...
I bought the PA-11 as a project and am ready to assemble the engine and install the wings, then ready for a prop. Thanks

[h=2]I’m a new owner of a PA-18-95 that has a C90-12 and came with two props. One is a Mac 71-46 cruise prop and the other is a Sen 76-2-42 climb prop. The Sen is new with only 100hrs. The Mac is fresh overhauled. I’m going to be flying a bit with both of them to decide which I prefer and then will likely part with one or the other. PM me or text me at 641-529-0420 if any interest.[/h]

I had 46 on my Tcraft and it was great for cruise, but I couldn't get off the ground with 2 people on skis, so had it repitched to 42 and it's awesome! Lost a few mph in cruise, but it was a whole different animal on takeoff.
John

Might be apples and oranges C85 to a stock O-200 but.

I am in a PA11 with a O-200 and I have friends that let me try a couple of props so I tried 3 different McCauley props. Noting it's a cub so I not worried about cruse speed at this point just overall engine RPM's. Working from memory here is what I got, cruse is strait & level in a long downwind pattern except for the last one that I am sticking with for now.
47 Pitch gave me about 1950 Static and 2300 Cruse, a little low for my liking at full throttle.
44 Pitch gave me about 2050 Static and 2450 so in cruse again full throttle.
42 Pitch (the one I am using now) gave is giving me 2350 Static, 2550 initially in clime out, then I have the throttle back to about 3/4 or less as soon as my airspeed passes about 70 or 80 indicated, at 2500 RPM I am settling in at about 90 Miles an hour indicated 6500' MSL, flying out of Broomfield CO. Just north of Denver, Field Elevation is about 5675 MSL. I like this one because it does give me more in the climb if I need it. I expect it would easily pass redline full throttle in any decent but haven't had the need to check that out yet.

Dan M

I’m a new owner of a PA-18-95 that has a C90-12 and came with two props. One is a Mac 71-46 cruise prop and the other is a Sen 76-2-42 climb prop. The Sen is new with only 100hrs. The Mac is fresh overhauled. I’m going to be flying a bit with both of them to decide which I prefer and then will likely part with one or the other. PM me or text me at 641-529-0420 if any interest.

What basis are you going to use to install the 76 inch prop? Or are you experimental?

MTV

Hey Mike it's ok...Sen 76AK-2-** = 74" diameter. It's on Piper's 1A2 TCDS under Item 1(d) for C-90 engines. Also approved under TCDS 1P2 vibrationwise by Sen for the C-90 for 90 hp @ 2475 or less.

Gary (-40F this morning so bored at the keys)

I once put a tape on my 76AK-2-40 prop on my C90 and it measured almost exactly 75” rounded tip to rounded tip. I also once swapped that prop onto my stock C-85-8 (removing the 71-42 mc ) it wouldn’t turn past 2100 rpm. Too much prop for a stock 85. It only had 200 hrs smoh so it wasn’t a tired motor. That 76AK IS “The” prop on the C90 though. Results may vary I guess, but the 71-42 was the sweet spot for my C-85

Dan, I had same experience with 76AK-2-42 Sensenich prop on C-85., but worked great on C-90.

Andy, I don’t think you will find the -42 a climb prop on the c-90. -40 might be better for climb or at least that is what I experienced.

Last edited:
I run the 76AK-2-42 on my J-3 which has an ex PA-18 C-90. The airfield I fly from is at 5440 amsl and it seems like the perfect prop although you have to be careful in any descent as it easily reaches red line

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Back