• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Slow Flight

Utah-Jay

Heber City, UT
After watching Mauleguy’s latest video it got me to wondering. The Sherpa he was flying had a “44’ wing” and huge flaps, both wide and long, so what is more important to slow flight, the total wing area for the massive flaps? I suspect it is a combination of the two, but wanted to check with the experts here. The typical cub wing at 35-36’ seems to really enable slow flight well. Another variable of course is total wing area.

If a plane has a 140 sq ft wing, would a 175 sq ft wing allow it to fly a lot slower, a much lower stall speed?

Looking forward to some insight.

Wing loading is the best primary indicator for slow flight. Slats and efficient flaps are important, too, but are more difficult to express in simple math. Take some time and read this thread. Post #63 sums up my thoughts. But, given whichever airplane you choose, there are guys who will fly them slower than others. The pilot is a very big part of what makes an airplane perform.

https://www.supercub.org/forum/show...VS-Supercub-Pros-Cons-Im-looking-to-buy/page2

Sounds like you maybe want lower speed touchdowns on your S-20? As it uses the exact same wing as my S-7, allow me to point out that if you don't have VG's on both the wing and the horizontal stabilizer, AND get the CG far enough aft, you're not getting all that wing can deliver on the low end. I always have some "junk in the trunk"..... totally empty I can't land as slow.

Sounds like you maybe want lower speed touchdowns on your S-20? As it uses the exact same wing as my S-7, allow me to point out that if you don't have VG's on both on the top of the wing and underneath the horizontal stabilizer, AND get the CG far enough aft, you're not getting all that wing can deliver on the low end. I always have some "junk in the trunk"..... totally empty I can't land as slow.

I clarified CourierGuy's statement above... :)

Sounds like you maybe want lower speed touchdowns on your S-20? As it uses the exact same wing as my S-7, allow me to point out that if you don't have VG's on both the wing and the horizontal stabilizer, AND get the CG far enough aft, you're not getting all that wing can deliver on the low end. I always have some "junk in the trunk"..... totally empty I can't land as slow.

@courierguy and @JimParker256

In about a month the 20 will be sold and we will be flying a 21. Talking to Mark at RMK, he has not heard anything about VG’s on the 21 at this point. He did say it flies the same as a 20 though. I have read maybe 2mph faster on the stall/landing.

I am with you on the aft CG for slower flight, I will experiment with it when we switch over to the 21. I did two slow approaches a couple of days ago, coming over the fence, yes RWY 17 at UT9 does in fact have a fence about 15’ from the start of the runway. I was coming in at an indicated 50mph with full (4 notches) flaps on a cold afternoon, elevation 4900’. This airspeed required a bit of power on a low approach angle. At practice stall maneuvering I typically get a stall at about 42-43mph, I am a fairly new pilot with 56.2 hours.

I am really trying to get ready for Idaho next summer, there is a airstrip that is 1100’ long I want to get in and out of for fishing. I am currently stopping on pavement at under 580’ on a regular basis, that being from threshold to full stop, I need to work on not floating that 200’ though. Spot landing practice to commence soon.

Edited post thanks to MTV’s post below

Last edited:
At practice stall maneuvering altitude (6500’+) I typically get a stall at about 42-43mph, which seems about right in the 20 as the published stall is at 33mph, but that is at a lower altitude. And let’s not forget, I am a fairly new pilot with 56.2 hours.

Altitude has virtually no effect on Indicated speed at the stall. Indicated Stall speed at 10,000 msl SHOULD be essentially the same as at sea level.

MTV

Altitude has virtually no effect on Indicated speed at the stall. Indicated Stall speed at 10,000 msl SHOULD be essentially the same as at sea level.

MTV
Right, my bad, thanks for the correction on that. Indicated is the same, it’s GS that goes up. CLEARLY I have a lot of airspeed cushion on my approach, but still learning and getting the feel. 50mph was my slowest to date on approach, I will work it down in time I am sure.

I clarified CourierGuy's statement above... :)

NO no, on the BOTTOM of the wing and the TOP of the hor stab. That better?!
Actually, I assumed it was a given where they went of course....

Utah-Jay: If we don't get some snow up real soon, I may fly down there and see Mark and maybe make a quick stop at Heber to eyeball your 21 when you get it, I am getting excited for you! Get some time on it before messing with VG's, no hurry. That's kind of a pun I guess! I think someone will play around with them on the 21 before long, and by the time you may be ready to explore that option, they will have it all figured out.

NO no, on the BOTTOM of the wing and the TOP of the hor stab. That better?!
Actually, I assumed it was a given where they went of course....

Utah-Jay: If we don't get some snow up real soon, I may fly down there and see Mark and maybe make a quick stop at Heber to eyeball your 21 when you get it, I am getting excited for you! Get some time on it before messing with VG's, no hurry. That's kind of a pun I guess! I think someone will play around with them on the 21 before long, and by the time you may be ready to explore that option, they will have it all figured out.

Come on down! I think end of the month it should be out of the shop from the conversion/annual. Looks like I get home from work on February the 8th, and then I need 10 hours dual instruction for insurance purposes, gotta love insurance, before I get set loose. Planning on two straight Saturday’s flying the backcountry for the 10 hours to get it knocked out quick. Maybe tag along on my dual, we have a bunch of backcountry strips on the flight plan, 9 in all on the first day.

Last edited:
Back