• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bushwheels

These are 29" Airstreaks on a J3 I finished this year for a customer and they are more than enough....

WX-1.jpg

Attachments

• WX-1.jpg
    WX-1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 7,301
My brother ran 29" Airstreaks on a 90 hp J3. Best gravel bar airplane out there for getting into and out of places.

Legally you can run up to a 31" Bushwheel on a J3 per the STC...but I wouldn't. As others have said the 29" Airstreaks are the way to go. There's little difference between the 29" Airstreak and 31" Bushwheel except a deceptively small size difference, 6lbs per tire, and $300 per tire.

On the other hand as far as looks go the 26's look just "right" on a J3. Bigger tires (while they work better off airport) just make the cub look like it's trying too hard. Like a kid running around in dad's shoes.

BTW there are quite a few pictures of J3's on big tires, I think I have a few on here of mine on 26's and there are quite a few online on Instagram if you search for J3's on Airstreaks

A friend used 8:50x6 tires to keep the weight down on his 90 hp J-3. He did an incredible amount of off airport work with it.

Not sure what the 29’s and 31’s weigh, but the 8.50’s I used to have on mine were 6ply and weighed 16lbs each (Air Trac’s). I just put these aero classic smoothies on there at 22” tall and weight in at 10lbs each. The 4 ply makes them so smooth. I’m looking to sell the Air Tracs btw. 2696FA20-BF2D-42A6-95E9-C884C4712D97.jpg

Attachments

• 2696FA20-BF2D-42A6-95E9-C884C4712D97.jpg
    2696FA20-BF2D-42A6-95E9-C884C4712D97.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 594
  • 04776AED-D811-4B83-B2B2-BE3417C6ED53.jpg
    04776AED-D811-4B83-B2B2-BE3417C6ED53.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 273
Just put some smooth 8.50s on this cub that I fly. They seem to be about perfect for an all stock J3...

IMG_4169.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4169.jpg
    IMG_4169.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 3,446
Just got the RANS back on the 29's, a rite of spring. Don't have to duck anymore walking under the wing. Those are 6:00's on the left, for the Datum skis.

Attachments

• IMG_20210328_145325761_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210328_145325761_HDR.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 327
Just got my little cub on new 29's with fancy tire stickers. Going through quite a few upgrade/maintenance items in preparation for summer.
Cub29edited2.jpgCub29edited3.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8752_edited.jpg
    IMG_8752_edited.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 578
  • Cub29edited2.jpg
    Cub29edited2.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 445
  • Cub29edited3.jpg
    Cub29edited3.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 1,576
Nice setup crash! That’s a lot of weight for tires though! I love the belly pod on that thing and am curious if there’s an STC for it or if your going experimental. The one downfall to the j3 as far as camping goes is the luggage space, and I can’t really find a good easy fix for extended baggage.

Crash,

A friend of mine just ordered stickers for his new 29’s. I was wondering how difficult/easy are they to install? Any tricks or cautions to be aware of?

Thanks

Kurt

Nice setup crash! That’s a lot of weight for tires though! I love the belly pod on that thing and am curious if there’s an STC for it or if your going experimental. The one downfall to the j3 as far as camping goes is the luggage space, and I can’t really find a good easy fix for extended baggage.

Cover the front stick socket and unhook the rudder and brake rods. You can load floor to skylight

Glenn

Thanks! The pod is erm...."Alaska legal". Plan on working with a DER to get a field approval this summer but in the mean time I justify it by the fact that you can't actually fit the minimum required survival gear in the stock baggage. The tires aren't too bad considering the size. 23lbs each for the old 26 Goodyears that came off (tire and tube) and 28lbs each for these new Airstreaks. Plane was 765 in the W&B before and now will calculate to probably 800 or thereabouts after the pod, tires, and tailwheel. Actual weight is probably in the 850lb range empty.

Crash, A friend of mine just ordered stickers for his new 29’s. I was wondering how difficult/easy are they to install? Any tricks or cautions to be aware of?

The tire stickers were surprisingly easy but there is some pitfalls. The tires grow quite a bit and the spacing between letters changes as you change pressure. The stickers are cut out on the backer for kind of a low-ish pressure, I think mine lined up best at around 2-3 psi. I just mounted the wheels (so you don't damage the tire with pressure) then played with the pressure until things lined up. Tried to get fancy with spreading the glue out perfectly with a brush but it didn't improve anything. Just follow the directions that they come with and it works out great. If you get too much glue in one spot though it can cause a dark spot on the letter so watch out for that. Oh, and I should mention the tire stickers are only made for newer tires. The Bushwheel letter font/size changed in 2014 and the Airstreaks in 2017 so they only work on tires made after then.

Cover the front stick socket and unhook the rudder and brake rods. You can load floor to skylight, Glenn

But then where would the dog sit? ;-)

Last edited:
If they made 31" Airstreaks, I would buy them in a heartbeat. Until then, another J3(ish) on 29s:

CubbyHiddenSplendor.jpg

(I use mesh cargo net above the rear baggage to emulate a pod, but a carbon pod like Crash's is on my short list...)

Attachments

• CubbyHiddenSplendor.jpg
    CubbyHiddenSplendor.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 322
Another option is to find a set of 31’s that are about worn out. I just put a set on a new to me -18 with c90. They weigh 29# each and should last a long time on a light cub.
6CD783B3-32C5-4BB8-B066-49A95C12992F.jpeg

Attachments

• 6CD783B3-32C5-4BB8-B066-49A95C12992F.jpeg
    6CD783B3-32C5-4BB8-B066-49A95C12992F.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 295
Worn out 31's are the ultimate Airstreak. There's more than one pilot around that has a set of "competition tires" that are missing a few lbs of tread.

IMG_20210331_135822400.jpg
If your doing a bunch of steep sidehill strips
this may be an answer��

Attachments

• IMG_20210331_135822400.jpg
    IMG_20210331_135822400.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 226
If they made 31" Airstreaks, I would buy them in a heartbeat. Until then, another J3(ish) on 29s:

(I use mesh cargo net above the rear baggage to emulate a pod, but a carbon pod like Crash's is on my short list...)

got any pics of your net setup?

got any pics of your net setup?

None handy, but easy enough to describe:

Take one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089R53FGT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...and you can clip it to fuselage tubes in various configurations. I store soft stuff like sleeping bags or hammocks between it and the turtle deck area and the cargo net essentially compresses everything to the ceiling. If I need more room, I clip it to the rear seat tubes and create a divider of sorts. A few carabiners and a bit of cursing and most everything stays where it was supposed to, even when crossing the Rockies in an underpowered kite of an aircraft.

View attachment 55032
If your doing a bunch of steep sidehill strips
this may be an answer😳

Took me a while to understand your post, until I noticed the tires.....as luck would have it, my first back on the bushtires landing was this site yesterday, and I did my quick turnaround at the top to the left so the small tire on the right/big tire on the right setup would have been a perfect setup. it sure feels good to be back on "real" tires, and to have brakes again.

Attachments

• IMG_20210331_094144055_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20210331_094144055_HDR~2.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 172
None handy, but easy enough to describe:

Take one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089R53FGT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...and you can clip it to fuselage tubes in various configurations. I store soft stuff like sleeping bags or hammocks between it and the turtle deck area and the cargo net essentially compresses everything to the ceiling. If I need more room, I clip it to the rear seat tubes and create a divider of sorts. A few carabiners and a bit of cursing and most everything stays where it was supposed to, even when crossing the Rockies in an underpowered kite of an aircraft.

Nice thanks man! Got one on order from eBay.

Took me a while to understand your post, until I noticed the tires.....as luck would have it, my first back on the bushtires landing was this site yesterday, and I did my quick turnaround at the top to the left so the small tire on the right/big tire on the right setup would have been a perfect setup. it sure feels good to be back on "real" tires, and to have brakes again.

Tom -- what peak is that just behind the right shoulder of your landing area?

Back