Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bushwheels

Post Thanks / Like
    The 26 Goodyears are actually fairly low pressure when used on light planes like a J3. Mine were run at between 4 and 6psi in most instances which was a startling revelation when I finally got a low pressure gauge and checked them. After taking them off however it was found the tire had slipped a little on the rim although not enough to damage the valve stem. Keep in mind this is with double pucks but only the stock diaphragm brake master cylinders so not a tremendous amount of braking power.

They were surprisingly soft at that pressure and did fairly well considering the nature of the goodyear tires. Not nearly as nice or safe as a set of actual Bushwheel/Airstreaks however. The real telling thing about the Goodyears is how bent the gear bolts are. You can get away with them and do okay but the airframe is what takes the beating.
    Likes akavidflyer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash, Jr. View Post
    Wow, Iain those look great! 29's on a yellow cub look just right. That's going to be quite a machine with a stroker 85.
    Ha ha thanks, it was your advice that I went with with the 29's
    Likes Crash, Jr. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by akomara1 View Post
    I dig the paint too. What process and color is that?
    Gabe is right I think the light is making the colour look a little more washed out than it is. I always took it just to be cub yellow! This picture may show it a little better:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0634.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	55118
    Likes Crash, Jr. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash, Jr. View Post
    The 26 Goodyears are actually fairly low pressure when used on light planes like a J3. Mine were run at between 4 and 6psi in most instances which was a startling revelation when I finally got a low pressure gauge and checked them. After taking them off however it was found the tire had slipped a little on the rim although not enough to damage the valve stem. Keep in mind this is with double pucks but only the stock diaphragm brake master cylinders so not a tremendous amount of braking power.

They were surprisingly soft at that pressure and did fairly well considering the nature of the goodyear tires. Not nearly as nice or safe as a set of actual Bushwheel/Airstreaks however. The real telling thing about the Goodyears is how bent the gear bolts are. You can get away with them and do okay but the airframe is what takes the beating.
    I've never figured out why the 3 different pairs of Airstreaks I've run have MINIMUM AIR PRESSURE 6 LBS. molded into the sidewalls. I use that number as my highest pressure, and usually am at 3 or 4, a few times as low as 2.5

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by courierguy View Post
    I've never figured out why the 3 different pairs of Airstreaks I've run have MINIMUM AIR PRESSURE 6 LBS. molded into the sidewalls. I use that number as my highest pressure, and usually am at 3 or 4, a few times as low as 2.5
    It makes the feds happy, they need to see some sort of minimum number on the tire.
    "Always looking up"
    Thanks courierguy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=IainR;801167]Gabe is right I think the light is making the colour look a little more washed out than it is. I always took it just to be cub yellow! This picture may show it a little better:
    ]

hard to say as each company has several different yellow, it looks really good though! I like the high gloss.

When I flew an M-7 235 on 31’s I kept them at 8psi for village strips, and doing off airport stuff I would put my foot in front of the tire facing it, then lean my knee into the center of the tread of the tire until it pushed it in “just so” and easily enough for the “right feel”. This seemed to be around 3 psi.

Post Thanks / Like
    3 PSI is my favorite as well, but for a 29" airstreak holding up a 850#(ish) Cub. The only time it is higher is to make it easier to push around the hangar.

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing to note for tire longevity is if you are not going to fly for a while pump them up quite a bit. That prolonged sidewall bulge is hard on the rubber. If you want to minimize checking protect against sun, tar, ice, and prolonged low pressure in one spot.
    DENNY
    Thanks motosix thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    On the subject of bushwheels, how often are people landing on asphalt? I know the official advice is as rarely as possible but what is considered reasonable? One landing in 20 one in a 100?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    On the subject of bushwheels, how often are people landing on asphalt? I know the official advice is as rarely as possible but what is considered reasonable? One landing in 20 one in a 100?
    Do yourself a favor

Name:	IMG_20210315_170845.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	55134

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Thanks 5CT7 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I land as much as possible in the grass area at my airport but not always possible. Going cross country if the area is unknown I land on the asphalt. Picked up to many damaged airplanes because the owner was trying to save some rubber. My 31s are almost 6 years old and still no cords showing although they are weather checked. I do sweeping turns, taxi is very short and I fueled from cans but recently got a fuel trailer so I am not constantly taxiing to the fuel pump. I look at Bushwheels as the cost of doing business. I can't do what I do with my Super Cub without them and it is worth it.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes IainR, DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I ran my 31s up to 12 psi for a trip to Idaho one year, figuring the higher pressure would be better for the inevitable pavement landings enroute. The problem was that I forgot to let some air out when I got there. Soldier Bar sure was rough that year
    Likes hotrod180, windy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    Do yourself a favor

Name:	IMG_20210315_170845.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	55134

Glenn
    Truck bed liner I presume? Did you do the liner when the tires were new or run a bit of tread off them first?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I land as much as possible in the grass area at my airport but not always possible. Going cross country if the area is unknown I land on the asphalt. Picked up to many damaged airplanes because the owner was trying to save some rubber. My 31s are almost 6 years old and still no cords showing although they are weather checked. I do sweeping turns, taxi is very short and I fueled from cans but recently got a fuel trailer so I am not constantly taxiing to the fuel pump. I look at Bushwheels as the cost of doing business. I can't do what I do with my Super Cub without them and it is worth it.
    Thanks Glen thats great

Post Thanks / Like
    Truck bed liner I presume? Did you do the liner when the tires were new or run a bit of tread off them first?
    Thanks to Courierguy using Herculiner on his Rans, I tried it. I have 29 inch Bushwheels on my Cessna 180 and was worried it might throw a chunk into the prop but it worked great. I waited till some cords just started to show but would consider doing it when new.I didn't jack the plane up either. Did what I could and let it cure a day and rolled ahead and finished. I learned don't use the can up to not waste any and get an out of balance situation.
    Thanks courierguy thanked for this post
    Likes luke_herron1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    They were throw aways, 10 + bald cord spots showing on each tire. Did them 5 years ago and just redid them again.

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Thanks IainR thanked for this post
    Likes courierguy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    It's like an entire new sport, flying wise: flying into a new to you paved airstrip (uncontrolled, of course), and while making a normal circuit and approach, figuring out how to safely land NOT on the tarmac. I don't think we can call it off airport flying, maybe off airport/on airport flying, but it is as challenging and potentially dangerous as any real off airport. While also being vastly satisfying when pulled off correctly. I do it every time I can, the most challenging part being not to make multiple low passes like I'd do at a new for real off airport site, as that, and the resulting landing could add fuel to any spectators who may think the practice was somehow "bad." " You screwed up the pattern and THEN you landed off the pavement!" So, lot's of quick decisions while flying a normal pattern, is the challenging part. Just don't do it at Sandpoint ID, I got my a** chewed out there years ago by the airport manager, nice guy, but he made it known not to do it again. Fair enough, ain't been back since.

I am considering laying asphalt on my driveway/staging area this year, and if I do, I need to come up with a non abrasive way to do my turnaround at the top of my strip, as I consider asphalt worse than concrete on tires. I have a large enough piece of the plastic I use on my ski bottoms, attaching it is the issue, it'd come up in the winter so someway of securing it while being removal able. If nothing else, a smooth as possible concrete finish, about 6' square in the asphalt, may suffice, with maybe some sand on it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 180Marty View Post
    Thanks to Courierguy using Herculiner on his Rans, I tried it. I have 29 inch Bushwheels on my Cessna 180 and was worried it might throw a chunk into the prop but it worked great. I waited till some cords just started to show but would consider doing it when new. I didn't jack the plane up either. Did what I could and let it cure a day and rolled ahead and finished. I learned don't use the can up to not waste any and get an out of balance situation.
    I am experimenting with a partially used can that's been in the freezer since my last application. An old painters trick when using oil based paint: put your brushes in a plastic bag and the cold keeps the paint from setting up, quicker and cheaper than cleaning them when your using them often. It may work to keep a opened can of Herc pliable, we'll see, no biggie, it's cheap enough, especially as compared to the tires.
    Likes 180Marty liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by akomara1 View Post
    Not sure what the 29’s and 31’s weigh, but the 8.50’s I used to have on mine were 6ply and weighed 16lbs each (Air Trac’s). I just put these aero classic smoothies on there at 22” tall and weight in at 10lbs each. The 4 ply makes them so smooth. I’m looking to sell the Air Tracs btw. Attachment 55009
    There’s more to a 29” Airstreak or 31” Bushwheel over an 8.50 (treaded or slick) than weight.
    Being a tubeless tire you’re able to run significantly lower tire pressure which allows absorption of rocks much better and they provide a whole bunch of cushion for the airframe.
    The 29” Airstreaks are a great option and are a pound less than 26” Bushwheels and they increase the aoa a little more than the 26” for a minute advantage on takeoff