• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cabling for Federal 2200 hydraulic skis on Atlee’s extended gear

WindOnHisNose

BENEFACTOR
Lino Lakes MN (MY18)
I am replacing the springs on my Federal 2200 hydraulic skis and need to make up new cables that go from the spring to the toe of the skis. I discovered that I did not make any adjustment when we put on Atlee’s 3” extended gear and I need advice on the length of the cable.

7A03F960-4EDD-4049-A521-8BD6CE6D949D.jpeg

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you,

Randy

Attachments

• 7A03F960-4EDD-4049-A521-8BD6CE6D949D.jpeg
    7A03F960-4EDD-4049-A521-8BD6CE6D949D.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 736
I just spoke to Jason at Atlee's and am glad I did.

It may be just blissful luck that I haven't had any problems with the skis since putting on the extended gear. He encouraged me to re-rig the skis and replace all the cables.

I have a call in to WipAire to see if I can get instructions on how to rig the skis with the extended gear on. In particular, Jason feels the rear cable will most likely need to be lengthened, as well, in that with the extended gear there will be more pull on the rear cable, thereby lowering the tip of the skis...and that could be problematic.

Does anyone have the measurements for the cable lengths for this setup for a PA18? I surely would appreciate getting this rigged properly.

Randy

Why not just lift the plane and rig it per the STC instructions?

You do know the crust cutter isn't supposed to run through the spring, right? I know some guys do it but Atlees instructions say not to. On that note, are the springs approved on AirGlides?

Why not just lift the plane and rig it per the STC instructions?

You do know the crust cutter isn't supposed to run through the spring, right? I know some guys do it but Atlees instructions say not to. On that note, are the springs approved on AirGlides?
After having a couple of garage door springs break and go flying violently around fortunately without hurting anyone, I would ignore those instructions feeding the crust cutter cable through the center of the spring. This will contain the spring should a breakage occur. Who knows what damage could be done to an airplane? Alternatively, add a second cable for this purpose.

The issue is the cable sawing the spring. Rigging failure on AirGlides would be a very bad thing. That said? My AirGlides have bungees. Still curious whether springs are approved on these skis.

Garage doors wind. Ski springs stretch, but whatever.

Randy, beware using cloned rigging info. Lots of skis out there are rigged poorly.

Back