Thread: Wtb pa-11/pa-18

Post Thanks / Like

Wtb pa-11/pa-18

We are thinking about adding a PA-11 to the family. With all of the travel issues right now I’m mostly looking for something in Alaska, but hopefully that changes over the next few months. Ideally looking for a PA-11 (or PA-18 ) with 90-100hp with a reasonable useful load, 18 gear, a baggage that is bigger than the original sling (doesn’t have to be a full on extended baggage). It doesn’t have to be pretty just airworthy and not needing a lot of work. I’m not real picky about the mods. We aren’t in a hurry as we have the Pacer as a family hauler. My wife would like to start flying again, and at 5’ 0” even on a good day the Pacer isn’t a good fit for her, she’d like to fly an 11 again. Looking to spend in the 40k range, but our budget isn’t set in stone.
    Catch the fish, to make the money, to buy the bread, to gather the strength, to catch the fish...
    Likes J3Jim liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Still looking!
    Catch the fish, to make the money, to buy the bread, to gather the strength, to catch the fish...

Post Thanks / Like
    Couple of points:

Honestly, most PA-11s have a minuscule “legal” useful load. It’s mostly a single seat airplane with gas to go anywhere and a bit of gear. And, yes, I’ve heard of all the 11s with huge useful.....I sure wouldn’t weigh them.

Landing gear: same part numbers as stock PA -18 gear.

if you can find a PA-18-95, I’d definitely go there, unless you need Light Sport compliance.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    Couple of points:

Honestly, most PA-11s have a minuscule “legal” useful load. It’s mostly a single seat airplane with gas to go anywhere and a bit of gear. And, yes, I’ve heard of all the 11s with huge useful.....I sure wouldn’t weigh them.

Landing gear: same part numbers as stock PA -18 gear.

if you can find a PA-18-95, I’d definitely go there, unless you need Light Sport compliance.

MTV
    I understand the issues with 11s. I think by leaving the heavy stuff off, and a few modern light weight mods it would be workable for us. A good 90/100hp 18 would be nice, but I haven’t seen too many for sale. I think in AK most get turned into 150/160hp Cubs at rebuild time. I’m also wanting to get back into float flying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskadrifter View Post
    I understand the issues with 11s. I think by leaving the heavy stuff off, and a few modern light weight mods it would be workable for us. A good 90/100hp 18 would be nice, but I haven’t seen too many for sale. I think in AK most get turned into 150/160hp Cubs at rebuild time. I’m also wanting to get back into float flying.
    I'm not sure what you're referring to as "The heavy stuff" when it comes to 11s. My 11 weighed around 850. No electrics, handheld comm and portable GPS and intercom. It was on Airstreak 26 inch tires, with 6 inch wheels. That's the heaviest thing on it, really.

So, that left 470 pounds. Eighteen gallons of gas is 108 pounds, which leaves 362 pounds. So, you'd be legal with two pretty light people, but not much else. But, in fact, a number of other 11s Ive seen weighed well over 900 and at least one was over 1000. Granted, that one had a full electrical system, but....

The advantage of the 18-95 is the gross weight is 1500 instead of 1320.

On floats, the 11 goes to 1420 or so.... not quite offsets the weight of the floats.

Great airplanes IF you can find a light one. There were probably some things I could have done to lighten mine up a little bit, like a wood prop, a bunch of carbon parts, etc. I maybe could have got it down to 820...? Maybe.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike you're better than that. PA-11 GW 1220 conventional and 1300 to 1350 depending on EDO float model. STC'd floats maybe more. Long winter? But yes they are a single op and dog airplane as I recall.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC12D-4-85 View Post
    Mike you're better than that. PA-11 GW 1220 conventional and 1300 to 1350 depending on EDO float model. STC'd floats maybe more. Long winter? But yes they are a single op and dog airplane as I recall.

Gary
    Oops! Yep, you’re right Gary. Was getting LS gross confused. But, my point is still valid. And, it’s been a couple years now since I owned one....

Now, back to the gin....

MTV
    Thanks KevinJ thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes the points for the -11 remain. Any owner flying legally needs to consider useful load versus fuel limited range. Like anything they weigh less when airborne apparently. Piper (or some enterprising soul) would have done owners a favor by testing for any GW wiggle room. Gin? Hmmm. I might have some in the garage.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife wants a PA-11 or 90/100hp PA-18 how am I supposed to argue against that? She also weighs 100lbs soaking wet in bunny boots, so that helps a lot. I’d love a 150 or 160hp cub but the prices have skyrocketed lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey..If momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy....They are available but for $40K? I'd make sure the tubing-fabric-engine...but you know all that. "It doesn’t have to be pretty just airworthy and not needing a lot of work. I’m not real picky about the mods" is simply a Golden Request today in my opinion. I had one restored. Not worth the time and money as in the end I could have bought a PA-18 for less.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC12D-4-85 View Post
    Hey..If momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy....They are available but for $40K? I'd make sure the tubing-fabric-engine...but you know all that. "It doesn’t have to be pretty just airworthy and not needing a lot of work. I’m not real picky about the mods" is simply a Golden Request today in my opinion. I had one restored. Not worth the time and money as in the end I could have bought a PA-18 for less.

Gary
    My wife said we need anfibs for the supercub last summer. We got anfibs for the super cub last summer. You guys told me happy wife happy life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...4-New-piper-j5 Might be worth a look. Fine fun airplanes.

Gary
    Likes alaskadrifter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210301-120546.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	281.8 KB 
ID:	54437

Here's another J5, looks like a pretty decently equipped plane for the money.
    Likes alaskadrifter liked this post