• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cruise prop and climb prop pitch for C90-12

New owner of a PA-18-95 that has a C90-12 and came with two props. One is a Mac 71-46 cruise prop and the other is a Sen 76-2-42 climb prop. Can others with more experience then I confirm those are correct/desired pitches for each? My home strip is at 1200’ Elevation in North Central Iowa. Most of our flights will be local hops around our lake and almost always out of our 2700’ strip. At the same time we will likely be flying along with a 150hp Super Cub and a GCBC. So I’m leaning towards sticking with the cruise prop but am most curious to know if a 46 pitch is indeed a desired cruise pitch.

Thanks,
Andy

All because of a WTB ad I made on here a few weeks ago... 1960 PA-18-95

8835BF7F-675D-4BE8-9ABA-9A7A241B3942.jpg

Attachments

• 8835BF7F-675D-4BE8-9ABA-9A7A241B3942.jpg
    8835BF7F-675D-4BE8-9ABA-9A7A241B3942.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 474
I maintain a 57 and 58 factory 90hp’s. Both of those have double groove trim, higher gross weight and flap pulley mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Sensenich 76AK-2-XX (42 seems good for a 90hp) is the benchmark for climb performance on small cont's so that's a good one to have. Spendy too so if you picked it up with your cub that's a good buy.

The Mac 7146 is definitely more towards the cruise side but is just a good all-around performer. Picks up speed over the Sensenich but doesn't give up a ton of short field/climb performance to it either. Both really good props to have on hand and both very expensive to buy new.

If you're dead set on the Mac it's a good prop but the Sensenich is widely regarded as a better performer for most things but gives up a few MPH in cruise. On that slick little 18-95 you shouldn't have any problems keeping up with a big engine cub but the Scout would probably outrun you. Or you can get used to going slow and just meeting your friends a few minutes "fashionably" late.

That's Purdy! I have a Sensenich 76AK-2-40 on my C90-12F Taylorcraft on floats.....It's a wonderful prop. the 42 pitch you have will be a great combo with the C90. As was mentioned here....that is the primo prop for a C90 PA18. Nice job.

I maintain a 57 and 58 factory 90hp’s. Both of those have double groove trim, higher gross weight and flap pulley mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought all of the 95's had the flap pulleys and double groove pulleys...? Didn't they all have a 1500# GW?

Try some static rpm runs, climb performance, and cruise with both and let us know the results. Lots of info on either prop but rarely on the same engine. Nice Cub!

Gary

Wow! Beautiful! Does it have electricity?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Yes, this one left the factory in 1960 with the C90-12F and still has the original pull type starter installed. It may be on the chopping block in the near future as I will likely be installing a light weight starter.

put the 76-42 on and when you go traveling the 71-46, but i doubt you will ever take the 42 off. i have a 40 and once in awhile i wish i had a 41 or 42 pitch.

Yes, this one left the factory in 1960 with the C90-12F and still has the original pull type starter installed. It may be on the chopping block in the near future as I will likely be installing a light weight starter.

I'd give it a go without any starter at all and just hand propping. Small continentals are so easy to hand prop I wouldn't bother with a starter unless you have some physical limitation that precludes it.

Sensenich ground adjustable???
Then you can change pitch without changing prop.

Sensenich ground adjustables for the O-200 are all experimental as far as I've heard. Plus the shorter of the two (72" I think?) had problems with causing crankcase cracks due to weird harmonic vibrations. Talked to Sensenich about them a month back or so.

Sensenich ground adjustables for the O-200 are all experimental as far as I've heard. Plus the shorter of the two (72" I think?) had problems with causing crankcase cracks due to weird harmonic vibrations. Talked to Sensenich about them a month back or so.

Love mine, never could find a "good" reason not to use it. Bendix blamed some mag problems using it. But I know 2 different Legend Cubs with over 1000 hrs on it. My Ex 0200 SC on 31s would go 111mph pitched at 52 WOT level and still have decent climb

Glenn

I have a Sensenich adjustable on my plane. 0-235. Works great. Haven’t tried in on floats yet but it is smooth and pulls hard on take off while cruising 110.

Good to know. I had looked at buying one but was warned off by a few people. And yes, that's what it was- killing magnetos, not case cracks; thanks for clearing that up.

Wow that is the exact a/c I’m interested in. Had a J3 c90 n loved it! hand propping not for me.

What is GW EW and fuel capacity?

How do these perform compared to a J3 C90?

Thank you for feedback and congrats!

Wow that is the exact a/c I’m interested in. Had a J3 c90 n loved it! hand propping not for me.

What is GW EW and fuel capacity?

How do these perform compared to a J3 C90?

Thank you for feedback and congrats!

Gross weight on all -95’s is 1500lbs. Empty weight on this one is in the 9’s. Still has original pull starter, generator, and heavy/rear mounted battery so a few pounds could be loss... This one has 18gals in each wing... so 36gal total.

Thank you. You burn about 5.5 GPH?

I only have 4.5hrs on it and that was non-stop on my flight home with it. Our weather has been crap since getting it home so I haven’t had a chance to fuel it and see what I burned but looking at the indicators I had to have burned about 5gals/hr... I know people fly the C90 all across the board on RPM but this one seems to run smoothest at 2350... so almost that entire 4.5hrs was at 2350. Could probably have done a little better if I wanted to.

Good to know. I had looked at buying one but was warned off by a few people. And yes, that's what it was- killing magnetos, not case cracks; thanks for clearing that up.

"Allegedly" only Bendix mags

Glenn

Last edited:

Glenn

Also only the older prop that is no longer made.
The new Sensenich 76” ground adjustable was the hot ticket on the C90 that I had. Transformed that airplane.

Pb

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers...

The new Sensenich 76” ground adjustable was the hot ticket on the C90 that I had. Transformed that airplane.

Pb

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers...

Mines old style, works just fine

Glenn

Glenn

Pb

Mines old style, works just fine

Glenn
Glenn what type mags do you have? This is the first mention I've heard of this issue. Was it just a one time event? Was it something else (like someone mucking something up) and then blaming the mags and prop? Or was it really a resonance issue between the prop and mags? How many times have we seen a mandatory inspection/alteration of some type when the original issue was someone covering up a mistake or some type of abuse which was not normal.

Pete, first time I saw that prop on a plane was on Mike Harts Legend Cub up on the Ramp at Greenville Me. That was also the first time I met Mike. Maybe 15 years ago or longer. I always spent time hanging around the Sensenich booth at Kosh and was familiar with the prop from talking to them. Back then I was friendly with Ed Zerker from Sensenich and we had talked about that prop becoming legal. I asked why they didn't make it 74 or 76" and he said that 72 was the limit without having harmonic problems. I lusted for one for quite a few years. Talked to the guys at Sensenich every year and the opinion was that they pulled the prop because there were 2 planes that had mag problems, both with Bendix mags running that prop. Bendix blamed it on the prop and Sensenich got scared of the liability.
I have Slicks, and I talked to Mike who was still running that prop before I bought mine used on here.

Glenn

Back