• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Switching back to front mounted oil cooler?

DanP

Hudson, MA
Found that the mounting bracket on my rear mounted oil cooler broke. Weighing reinstalling the front mounted, which I still have, having the bracket welded, or just buying a new one. The rear mounted was installed because the engine (narrow deck 0-320) was running hot, but it turned out to be a different issue. With the issue fixed the rear mounted keeps the oil no hotter than 170° in the summer. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions and/or part recommendation.

Randy Rubbert sells a set of baffles that support a rear mounted oil cooler along with the cooler and STC. Very nicely made. I have 1400 hours on mine and no signs of cracks.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Here is a pic of the broken area (the piece of felt wasn’t attached to the bracket— I peeled it off the cowl and stuck it there just before taking the picture). It is mounted in with the left rear rocker box— I haven’t taken it apart but it looks like it is held in place by the same bolts as the rocker box cover.

7f52239b-0c8b-4867-8958-a20b0f48bbcf
170c86ac-f7ea-46fc-8e11-c2d02cab2630

Attachments

• 2CA80953-D494-4DAD-80BF-089EB19ACB5A.jpeg
    2CA80953-D494-4DAD-80BF-089EB19ACB5A.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 123
Only one picture came through.

You MUST use all 4 flanges when mounting , using a tube between front and rear flanges(usually a chunk of 3/8” aluminum tubing and wide area washers)

Never seen one mounted/welded like that/broken area in last picture

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

It looks like the left flange was cut off and a plate was welded on (the plate you can see in the picture is where the weld is broken) and then the plate was attached to the rocker box instead of being attached to the the baffling. This is an old Super Cub, so perhaps the cooler could not be attached to the baffling. Not sure. It functioned trouble-free for about 20 years before it broke.

In any case, I am leaning toward a front-mounted. Is there a significant weight penalty? Suggested brand? I was look at the Aero Classic (I believe it would be the 8000074). I think there is also a Niagra cooler.

I know of no one who has went back to a front mounted one. The one your picture showed is not a common or proper installation.....

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Back