• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cleveland wheels -for super cub

farm_boy252

Norman wells, NT
are these the right ones?

133071753_1318088795216997_7554713234848778690_n.jpg

It's going to depend on your axle size and what brake caliper you're using them with. But just right off that part number 40-281 does not look like any that I've seen used on PA-18's. The Cleveland catalog would be of good use for comparing wheel half casting part numbers and wheel bearing part numbers against 40-60 wheels (1.25" axle) or 40-75 wheels (1.5" axle). But yeah, would need to know more about your specific plane as there's no "standard" for PA-18 wheel or brake setups.

My axles are 1 1/4, im not sure of the part # but pretty sure they are the double puck Cleveland calipers.

these wheels are for 1 1/4 right, im coming up with 40-60 kit which should work for supercub 1 1/4 axles 6 bolt. the wheel half part numbers are 161-07000 and 162-06500.https://www.airframesalaska.com/40-60-Alaskan-Bushwheel-ABI-Cleveland-6-Wheel-p/abi-40-60.htm best places ive found for cleveland questions are mcfarlane aviation or airframes. please check my research out. but those wheels should be the same as the ones in this kit.https://www.airframesalaska.com/Alaskan-Bushwheel-199-71-Wheel-and-Brake-Assembly-p/abi-199-71.htm

Last edited:
Looking at the Cleveland catalog the 40-60 uses 90% the same parts as the 40-281 however the inner and outer grease seals on the 281 is the same and the 40-60 is two different seals. The seals are the outboard seal which is of a smaller diameter than the inboard one. This would lead me to believe that you might have issues with the wheel not seating up correctly on a standard 1.25" axle with the step for the bearings to seat on being too large to fit inside the seal lip.

You could certainly try the wheel on for size as it looks like it would probably be fine. Can't tell you with any certainty how it will work out, just what is the same or different than what is standard. It's not the "standard" wheel for the 1.25" axle but it appears close enough to fit perhaps with only an inboard grease seal change.

There's a lot of information on this forum and in the community in general but I would advise in the future to not just post "will this fit" and a picture without any further information to work with. Try and do some legwork on your own and if asking such a detailed question at least provide some info about the aircraft it's going on to help others help you.

Might check the Grove STC. It comes with everything but tires and tubes, and is approved for 6:00x6 and up through 26" Goodyears. Double puck brakes. Around $1500 complete, including STC paperwork. Installing one now.

My old but undated Univair catalog (#205)lists which Cleveland kit is for which airplane.
It also breaks down each kit as to what p/n wheel, disc, brake assembly, & lining it uses.
Cleveland also has a handbook that shows dimensions for discs--
twice I've discovered that I was unknowingly running discs that were below the specified minimum thickness.

Just to add some info. If you look in a breakdown of Cleveland kits, going by 1 1/4" axles and double puck brakes, it will only narrow the search down to a couple dozen kits.

You know how Mexican food is different combinations of meat, beans, cheese, rice, etc? Well, Cleveland 6", wheel and brake kits may have different numbers but they are just different combinations of the same items. And the number on each item is just for that item. It is not the kit number.

Web

Back