• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Merry Christmas

flagold

Abbeville, Alabama
Merry Christmas from the Mattson Family. Most of the family elders were flyers: Aeronca Defender & Fairchild 24 & of course PBY's.

The Mattson Family - formerly of Groveland Florida - now scattered to the winds:

And there is much to be thankful for:

My Great Grandfather (schoolteacher) who raised my Grandmother didn't get killed at Vicksburg and was captured rather than killed in the fighting at Nashville, so she could go on to teach my hard head the mathematics I missed after I was branded unteachable by the public school:

Gresham.jpg
That my father wasn't killed when his PBY-2 crashed off Honolulu:

PB2Y Coronado.jpg

or shot down when a Betty Bomber pulled up beside them (unarmed) only to have their crew wave (and his wave back) when they turned off on their bombing run - or shot down by a Zero that did fire (a lot as he said) but couldn't get under their wave hopping PBY.

Betty-Bomber-1.jpg

The difference between being here and not - is slim. For all those folks that lived so hard that made my life relatively easy by comparison - I'm grateful.

And thankful too for having that stroke that ended flying. It opened up a whole new world of adventure I would have never been part off if I hadn't had that major turn in the road.

Merry Christmas to you all!

Attachments

• Gresham.jpg
    Gresham.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 135
  • PB2Y Coronado.jpg
    PB2Y Coronado.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Betty-Bomber-1.jpg
    Betty-Bomber-1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Merry Christmas!

Rich

Attachments

• D7D469AC-EC41-45ED-993E-5ECC8F465894.jpeg
    D7D469AC-EC41-45ED-993E-5ECC8F465894.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 102
I’ve shared before but I still like it.
Merry Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Last edited:
I’ve shared before but I still like it.
Merry Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Particularly enjoyed the J-3. We used to hold regular flour bombing competitions with them. Much fun!

I want to take a few moments to reflect on the past year and all the changes there have been. Last year we where getting ready to go back to Africa. Christmas last year was a rush as we packed and sorted things for the trip. Worried about what ? There was no covid or border closers or constant talk about businesses having hard times. So what where we worried about ? Every one in our close circle was doing ok and we had had some good times with friends and family and things looked good for the next year. We had lots of work lined up and things all figured out.

Or so we thought.

Man what a difference a year makes. We don’t leave home with out our mask or hand sanitizer. We have no vacations or trips planned to see friends or family in the near future. No trips to help with humanitarian needs. We try to limit our contact with friends and stay away from large groups.

But in all of that there are things that never change.
- beautiful sunsets
- fish still like a BIG worm ��
-a good nights sleep
- friends that care
- a God that cares about me

And in all this I realize that the most important things are still there. The things that give me a reason to go on
- my family
- my friends
- my community
- my country
- my church
- my children
-a Saviour to forgive me of my sins

In this Christmas season let’s remember what really brings value to our live. The things we would give our lives for. The things we work hard for everyday and sit back and tell God thank you for them.

Back