• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fuel bag question

WindOnHisNose

BENEFACTOR
Lino Lakes MN (MY18)
I am considering purchasing fuel bags and am looking at Airframes AK website and see their "Liquid Containment Bag"...I assume it will carry fuel. Does anyone have an estimate as to the quantity of fuel it will hold?

Also, when I google fuel bags I see a number of alternatives. Anyone with experience with those?

Thanks for any information you might be able to share!

Randy

The liquid bags are 5.2 gallons

As far as carrying fuel, yes it will. All these bags have to be "for liquid" like water because if you advertise them for fuel they have to have the EPA compliant auto-shutoff spouts and be self venting which the fuel bags are neither. Don't forget to buy the spout with the on/off valve. The little 6" nozzles that come with the bags are next to useless.

I should mention that none of the ABI bags or the copies on the market do well with auto fuel. Something in it eats the seams out and causes them to leak. Avgas only or at least a 50/50 mix and never store them for more than a few days to a week with gas in them. Always periodically break the seal on the caps so that you don't build pressure in them on a warm day.

According to Airframes AK it holds 5.2 gallons, but it doesn’t specifically say fuel! Water and “other liquids”.

I ocassionally use the Airframes bags which work well but get their pour valve as it really helps. I just lay it on the tank cover and put the tube well into the tank (for spark protection) open the valve on and put a little pressure on the bag and presto.

Crash, Jr, and all...thanks for the responses. Very helpful.

I was unaware of the problem with autogas and the seams...that would be a problem.

Thanks!

Randy

Clearly this will not fit in the plane, but I use this to transport MOGAS to the hanger. The long hose reaches the high wing tanks no problem from the back of my Mini Countryman. I got mine on a Black Thursday deal for $191 and drove to pick it up. I also bought the alligator clip power source and spliced in a cigarette lighter plug for use from the back of the car. Holds 20 gallons so pretty useful

https://www.wurxcontainers.com/shop/p/wurx-20-gallon-red-container-4c39m-zhty8-fb6dy

I have run a blended mix with usually 1/3 LL in mine for years with no problems. I do not store fuel in it for long periods. I usually fill bag day before trip and if not used on that trip usually gets burned in a few weeks at most. I usually carry a mix of cans and bag. The nice thing about the bag with the pour valve it is very easy to top off a tank compared to trying to pour / jiggle hose out of a can. You can get six gallons in a bag if you hold it just right between your legs as you fill it. They are not cheap but the ability to just lay the bag on the wing for fueling is well worth the price.
DENNY

Crash, Jr, and all...thanks for the responses. Very helpful.

I was unaware of the problem with autogas and the seams...that would be a problem.

Thanks!

Randy

Randy, all I have ever used in them is efree mogas for six years now without any problems

Glenn

Same outcome as Denny and Glenn. 6.1 gal but it’s full. Don’t fill that full on a hot day. I’ve left Mogas, LL or a combo of both for extended periods. No problem. Oldest bag is 7-8yrs old

I've hauled nothing BUT mogas in my two bags, including E-10 fro10 years now and no issues yet with seams. I never got the spout to work, tried different combo's of O rings, still leaked where it screws on, but I don't care as I pump it dry anyway. They are worth every penny.

I put a “liquid containment” bag on my birthday wish list and received one from Skycowboys. Haven’t had a chance to use it yet as winter is not my primary cross-country season, but it seems nicely made and includes the spout. May be worth checking out if you are shopping around: https://www.skycowboysupplyco.com/product-page/liquid-containment-bag

I know a few people on here have used them, so hopefully they will chime in with firsthand experience.

—Amy

I put a “liquid containment” bag on my birthday wish list and received one from Skycowboys. Haven’t had a chance to use it yet as winter is not my primary cross-country season, but it seems nicely made and includes the spout. May be worth checking out if you are shopping around: https://www.skycowboysupplyco.com/product-page/liquid-containment-bag

I know a few people on here have used them, so hopefully they will chime in with firsthand experience.

—Amy

I’ve got a couple from them. They work great. The spouts are garbage just like the airframes ones. Spend the $ and buy the ones from airframes with the valve. You spill more fuel with the ones that come with the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I supplemented my caps with an ace hardware o-ring and a little fuel lube. Put one in my spout too. No issues, no leaks.

The new square section o-rings do a pretty good job sealing the cap. The only problem is they tend to fall out. I always recommend a dab of fuel lube to keep them in place and double check when you put the cap or spout on that the o-ring is there.

Back