• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

DIY powdercoating

jimboflying

Just acquired a new addition to the hanger for possible powder coating of small parts. Anybody have suggestions for a newbie powdercoater?
79065B05-EDA5-4026-9FDF-9F9B5DA7D77C.jpg

Attachments

• 79065B05-EDA5-4026-9FDF-9F9B5DA7D77C.jpg
    79065B05-EDA5-4026-9FDF-9F9B5DA7D77C.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 217
I’ve been doing small parts, up to the size of the seat frame but mostly much smaller. There’s lots of small stuff, more than I would have thought, to be done. After cleaning the part/parts I’ve been baking them for about 20 minutes to cook off anything I missed while cleaning. I skipped this step on the last piece I did which was the tube that connects the trim yoke and the stabilizer. That was a mistake. I did clean it well with acetone, just didn’t bake it afterward. Coated it with powder and cooked it. There was some oil, apparently between the tube and bushings pressed in the ends, that boiled out as it heated up. That really screws up the finish. Just one more thing to do over.

Eastwood says you can second coat stuff. You can but, in my opinion, the second coat has not looked as good as the first on my parts. I’ve needed to second coat some stuff when I find the finish is too thin or not coated at all in places I couldn’t see due to how the part was hung.

The high temp silicone plugs you’ll use to keep powder from getting in places you would not want it can cause problems. When the tubing heats up with both ends plugged, one plug is going to shoot out like the old cork guns we had as kids. If you have multiple parts cooking the projectile plug may hit another part and put a blemish in the finish. I’ve been gently removing one plug in each part so no pressure builds up.

Other than that, quite easy

I have a strong interest in powder coating but I feel the need to get better setup for plating parts as well. Neither are available locally here.

That looks to be a good option, 3½ round trip, beats traveling to Conn. although I stay over and get a great meal down there. Although that would be twice each load.

so which starter kits are people using?

which brands of powder? I know they vary a bunch in chemical resistance...(just like different paints/brands...)

maybe post some links in this thread to what works well, and what to stay away from.....

thanks

I borrowed an Eastwood set up from a friend that rebuilt his plane. It’s been a couple years since he did his and had no complaints as far as durability. Powders came from Eastwood too. The paint gun seems to work ok but I have nothing to compare it to. Same with the powder. I have wiped the stuff down with acetone before applying a second coat and with that brief exposure it didn’t appear to be detrimental to the coating.

Sorry I can’t give more long term information, I just started this coating process about a month ago.

so which starter kits are people using?

which brands of powder? I know they vary a bunch in chemical resistance...(just like different paints/brands...)

maybe post some links in this thread to what works well, and what to stay away from.....

thanks

Mike,

As with any coating, the prep is what is important. Removal of dirt and oil, then a conversion coating followed with a sealer is pretty standard.

Tim

Mike,

As with any coating, the prep is what is important. Removal of dirt and oil, then a conversion coating followed with a sealer is pretty standard.

Tim

explain more please..... I get the dirt and oil removal part....

but what's the other 2 steps you mention?

I'm happy with our powder coater here, Advanced coatings in Big lake....

just might be nice to have capability here if i forget to send something....

short of the 1 1/2 hour round trip to drop off, and again, to pickup finished parts.......

explain more please..... I get the dirt and oil removal part....

but what's the other 2 steps you mention?

I'm happy with our powder coater here, Advanced coatings in Big lake....

just might be nice to have capability here if i forget to send something....

short of the 1 1/2 hour round trip to drop off, and again, to pickup finished parts.......

Mike,

Let me get some more info from you. Probably will not be until next year. Drop me a note in a couple weeks if I have not updated this thread.

Tim

Back