• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

2 seat side by side cub?

Utah-Jay

Heber City, UT
Has anyone ever built one? I love the side by side seating so just wondering. I know Air Frames Alaska has a 4 place cub that Kirk Ellis builds, but it seems a bit odd with the stick in between the two front seats, both seats having a stick seems better. I suppose the flap handle would need to be in the middle for true two pilot operation. I suspect that anything is possible, but has anyone done it?

Yes I fly a Rans S-20, but those 35’+ wings are appealing

I believe you can do Yokes, single or dual sticks on a 4 place. Consider a Bushmaster/producer (stretched big wing pacer) with yokes. Yokes make it a lot easier to get in and out of a side by side.
DENNY

It's called a J-4 Cub Coupe. Piper built them.

Cool plane, but not very practical with the small engine and no flaps. I live in a pretty high DA area, hard to see much useful load here with less than 180hp in a cub. We flew a bit over 10,000’ a couple of times clearing terrain yesterday, and against the wind coming home saw 62mph GS. I think a truck passed us at one point :lol:

PA-14 is side by side Cub with sticks and flaps. It is tight and there is a back seat. Theoretically 4 place, but not 4 full grown beef fed men.

PA-14 is side by side Cub with sticks and flaps. It is tight and there is a back seat. Theoretically 4 place, but not 4 full grown beef fed men.

OK, now we are getting somewhere :) And would only need space for my wife and myself

Thanks

OK, now we are getting somewhere :) And would only need space for my wife and myself

Thanks
And, they're scarce as hen's teeth. As Denny noted, some PA-20s have been converted to the "Producer", which has an extended fuselage, and essentially Cub length wings. Those too are scarce. There's an experimental version and a certified (STC'd) version.

MTV

Cool plane, but not very practical with the small engine and no flaps. I live in a pretty high DA area, hard to see much useful load here with less than 180hp in a cub. We flew a bit over 10,000’ a couple of times clearing terrain yesterday, and against the wind coming home saw 62mph GS. I think a truck passed us at one point :lol:

I can guess the direction you were headed, south mostly, judging by the wind we've had here (same wind...) the last few days, including right now. I'm surprised you were making 62 mph!

If money is no object and you've got time there's the 4 place PA-18's that you can build. They're spendy but VERY nice planes both in how they fly and how comfortable they are.

I can guess the direction you were headed, south mostly, judging by the wind we've had here (same wind...) the last few days, including right now. I'm surprised you were making 62 mph!

We flew out of UT9 and east up the Springville canyon with a nice tailwind making 130mph then headed south towards Cedar Mountain, Mexican Mountain and then Hidden Splendor before tracking I-70 west through the pass to Salina-Gunnison and north back to UT9. It was the west bound leg following I-70 when the trucks were passing us ;)

The Bushmaster is the other STC’d stretched Pacer, which can also be experimental. Either the Bushmaster or Producer should be much less expensive than a four place cub. I believe the owner of the Producer STC will also build one for you.

Thanks

I'm surprised you haven't run across the Wag Aero 2+2. It's based on the PA 14. You were talking about building, right?

I'm building one now. Marty57 here has one almost done. Tim on the board has been flying one for years.

As mentioned, not very spacious, but the two of you probably can fit fine. I widened mine by an inch and it is the same as a Cessna 170 (according to their specs.)

https://www.wagaero.com/wag-aero-kit-airplanes/sportsman-2-2.html

Note, they call it a kit, but it isn't a kit like everyone else does. More like a collection of parts and materials. I'm scratch building.

“Rare as hens teeth” is an understatement.

We can always dream tho

A friend has one and I did know of another project but I think it was sold. I can ask my friend if his is going to be for sale since he is finishing up a cub project.

Javron makes a 4 place cub kit with control sticks in the normal place. Leave the back seat out and the baggage area is huge.

I have looked at the Javron site, the AirFrames Alaska. I doubt I am a builder :???: Doing research and due diligence at this point

I'm a Cessna pilot. I also have a Cub. The beauty of a Cub is centerline pilot seating. I love Cessnas. I love Cubs. They're different. I like it that way.

Javron makes a 4 place cub kit with control sticks in the normal place. Leave the back seat out and the baggage area is huge.

I was unaware that Javron was also producing a 4 place kit. I couldn't find any info on their website...?

This is one of those “opinions are like a$$holes” things.....buy a 180. There’s a reason why DOZENS of guys on here own a cub and a wagon. I’m not one of them right now but I will be some day.

If you just want a fun side by side seat Piper Cub with good performance, and sticks in front of each front seat, a PA-16 with an O-320 could fit the bill. Its as fun as a Super Cub almost, and full span ailerons with no flaps it rolls with the best of them, and with droop tips you can bring it in about 50mph at idle and not need a whole lot of runway. That is a PA-16 cockpit sticks are comfortable to fly with, second pic is PA-20 with the Booster tips, they really allow a lot slower landing speed, the 16 is same wing but no flaps, with the droops you dont need flaps. The downside is you have to buy 4 Clippers to spend what you have to to buy a Super Cub. The PA-16 Clipper also has a good sized backseat, they call it a 4 seat plane, be tight with 2 adults in back seat though.

PA-16 was only one year '49, changed name to Pacer in '50 and went to that big circle yoke instead a sticks, along with added flaps and option for bigger engine.

attachment.php

IMG_3721.JPG

Last edited:
We flew out of UT9 and east up the Springville canyon with a nice tailwind making 130mph then headed south towards Cedar Mountain, Mexican Mountain and then Hidden Splendor before tracking I-70 west through the pass to Salina-Gunnison and north back to UT9. It was the west bound leg following I-70 when the trucks were passing us ;)

Why were you flying so high? You can easily clear Soldier Summit and the pass over I-70 to Gunnison at 9,000. Fly lower going into a headwind and you can pick up some ground speed.

Why were you flying so high? You can easily clear Soldier Summit and the pass over I-70 to Gunnison at 9,000. Fly lower going into a headwind and you can pick up some ground speed.

I was trying to find smoother air to be honest. But yes 9000’ would have worked

I dropped down to 7500’ as soon as I got near Gunnison

Back